Caribbean closed loop ID

just confirming... we do not need birth certificates for closed loop Caribbean if we have passports?

That’d be kind of redundant, right? You had to send in your birth certificate to get the passport in the first place.

If you have passports, you never need anything else.

However, since it is recommended you leave your passport in your stateroom when you get off at ports, you may need a photo ID like a driver licence for getting back onto the ship [along with your KTTW card].

SW

If you have your passport, you don't ever need to bring any other form of ID. My passport is usually the only thing I ever bring.

However, since it is recommended you leave your passport in your stateroom when you get off at ports, you may need a photo ID like a driver licence for getting back onto the ship [along with your KTTW card].

SW

What if something happens and the boat leaves you and you don’t have it?!

What if something happens and the boat leaves you and you don’t have it?!

This is what I read after a recent viral video of a couple missing the boat on another cruise line...once they know you aren’t going to make it they will open the safe in your room, retrieve your passport, and get it back to you at the port. If you’ve kept it somewhere else in your room they will not get it back to you. Does anyone know if this is true?

This is what I read after a recent viral video of a couple missing the boat on another cruise line...once they know you aren’t going to make it they will open the safe in your room, retrieve your passport, and get it back to you at the port. If you’ve kept it somewhere else in your room they will not get it back to you. Does anyone know if this is true?

Curious about this as well!

I’ve read this many times but don’t see how it’s really possible. The crew is busy getting ready to leave oops the Smith’s are late let’s run up to their cabin and look in the safe ha can’t see it really happening

I’ve read this many times but don’t see how it’s really possible. The crew is busy getting ready to leave oops the Smith’s are late let’s run up to their cabin and look in the safe ha can’t see it really happening

I have no first-hand (or even second-hand) knowledge of this, but if passengers have not responded after several announcements, then I can definitely envision their steward and/or another crew member going into their room to retrieve passports if possible.

Of course, this is why it is a very good idea to carry a Navigator or slip of paper with the name and phone number of the Ship's Agent in each port when you disembark, so that you can call if you know you might miss the ship (for example, due to a medical emergency). This is true even if you are carrying your passport, since the cruise line may be able to provide other assistance to you.

Is it ok to copy a passport? Maybe leave originals in the safe and bring copies off ship just in case? Along with ID and key card of course.

I too have wondered why they recommend keeping the passport on the ship. I can see not wanting to lose it, but isn't the benefit of having a passport when taking a cruise that you could get home if you are left behind? By leaving it on the ship, you are taking the risk that the ship leaves port with it, even if the cruise tries to leave it for you. I plan to take our family's passports off of the ship with us next week in a passport belt thingy. We generally don't all swim at the same time, so whoever is on shore will safeguard them.

I could see them going into the safe, but not searching the entire cabin if they aren't in there.

It is my understanding that this is what would happen. Generally, once they have determined you did not board, an announcement will be made, and then another. Then, a security officer and a ship's officer would enter your stateroom and open the room safe* to retrieve your passport(s). The passports would be left with the ship's agent on shore.

Here is an article that discusses it: https://cruisefever.net/03231-what-happens-when-you-miss-your-ship/ The process is apparently pretty standard across the industry.

SW

*I assume that as with hotel safes there are limited personnel who have permission and the official master key/combination required to open the safe; a two person rule would be used to protect both the cruise line and the passengers.

Is it ok to copy a passport? Maybe leave originals in the safe and bring copies off ship just in case? Along with ID and key card of course.

You can copy a passport, but it won't get you on a flight back into the country if you miss the boat. The best it will do is give you some documentation to start the process of getting a replacement passport.

It's worth mentioning that although you can cruise without a passport if you have an emergency and don't have a passport it could be difficult/ impossible to get off the ship and fly home from another country. It happened to a friend. They had a parent pass away while on the cruise and got off in Mexico and flew home directly. Not that I would wish that on anyone but having a passport and insurance can help you in these situations that are already difficult.

This topic has been discussed several times. People insist that DCL will check your safe and if passports are there they will leave them with their shore agent. However, I can't imagine not bringing our passports with me in a travel bag around my neck. The reason you bring your passport (even on a closed loop cruise where birth certificates are OK) is in case you have to fly home. It defeats the purpose (in my opinion) to bring the passports if you don't keep them with you while you are off the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter