CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Help us choose for a fall 2020 cruise. We have been going back and forth for about 6 months!

1. CCL radiance, 8 night from orlando. St. Martin, St. Kitts, Grand Turk, san Juan. One balcony, one interior. About $4700

2. Ncl escape, 7 night from orlando. St.Thomas, Tortola, Great Stirrup Cay, Puerto Plata. One balcony, one interior. About $5800

Here are the pros and cons.
Pros ccl:
1. St.Kitts is a new port for us
2. Radiance will be "new" ship
3. Balcony is extended (big for us because we use it).
4. New chicken restaurant. Lol.
5. $300 obc
6. Self service laundry. Lol
7. Kids love the kids club. Teen loves CCL ( his favorite line).
8. Less expensive cruise with an extra night. ($117/ person/ per night)

Pros ncl:
1. Tortola will be a new port for us.
2. Well... the Escape. Cool ship. Awesome ropes course and waterslides.
3. Comes with 3 night free dining package for 4 of us. Also comes with one other "free" perk but honestly there are not any available that we would use.
4. We have 2 cruisenext certificates to use with ncl. (Worth $500, paid $250, both expire shortly after this cruise, but I have seen that you can sell them on ebay and recoup some cost as they are transferable.)
5. Dh loves the ncl buffet

Cons ccl:
1. The only cons I can think of is that we sail ccl a lot and it might be nice to branch out. But we also love ccl and are very comfortable with them-- that is why we keep booking with them. So not sure it is a negative.

Cons ncl:
1. Kids do not like their kids club- at all.
2. One night less for more money ($165/person/night) ($151/person/night if considering cruisenext certificates)
3. Puerto Plata is a throwaway port for us because dh says he will not get off at DR or Belize again. :confused:

Sum. Both have one new port for us. (Something we try to do with each cruise). Both leave from the same port. I am not sure we would be looking at ncl at all for this trip except for the cruisenext certificates, but it doesn't seem like they make such a dent anyway. We are inclined to book ccl but wonder if we should branch out. So hard to decide!!

Sounds like CCL to me! I LOVED Radiance as Victory so it can only be even better with a complete refurbishment. And extended balconies are awesome.

Okay. Help us choose for a fall 2020 cruise. We have been going back and forth for about 6 months!

1. CCL radiance, 8 night from orlando. St. Martin, St. Kitts, Grand Turk, san Juan. One balcony, one interior. About $4700

2. Ncl escape, 7 night from orlando. St.Thomas, Tortola, Great Stirrup Cay, Puerto Plata. One balcony, one interior. About $5800

Here are the pros and cons.
Pros ccl:
1. St.Kitts is a new port for us
2. Radiance will be "new" ship
3. Balcony is extended (big for us because we use it).
4. New chicken restaurant. Lol.
5. $300 obc
6. Self service laundry. Lol
7. Kids love the kids club. Teen loves CCL ( his favorite line).
8. Less expensive cruise with an extra night. ($117/ person/ per night)

Pros ncl:
1. Tortola will be a new port for us.
2. Well... the Escape. Cool ship. Awesome ropes course and waterslides.
3. Comes with 3 night free dining package for 4 of us. Also comes with one other "free" perk but honestly there are not any available that we would use.
4. We have 2 cruisenext certificates to use with ncl. (Worth $500, paid $250, both expire shortly after this cruise, but I have seen that you can sell them on ebay and recoup some cost as they are transferable.)
5. Dh loves the ncl buffet

Cons ccl:
1. The only cons I can think of is that we sail ccl a lot and it might be nice to branch out. But we also love ccl and are very comfortable with them-- that is why we keep booking with them. So not sure it is a negative.

Cons ncl:
1. Kids do not like their kids club- at all.
2. One night less for more money ($165/person/night) ($151/person/night if considering cruisenext certificates)
3. Puerto Plata is a throwaway port for us because dh says he will not get off at DR or Belize again. :confused:

Sum. Both have one new port for us. (Something we try to do with each cruise). Both leave from the same port. I am not sure we would be looking at ncl at all for this trip except for the cruisenext certificates, but it doesn't seem like they make such a dent anyway. We are inclined to book ccl but wonder if we should branch out. So hard to decide!!

We had that exact itinerary on the Conquest this past September and loved it! Highly recommend. And having the 8 days was fantastic. It was honestly great having that extra day. I think 8 days is our new favorite.

And like you said, “new” ship, which is always cool. Plus, that OBC offer is awesome and can’t go wrong with a new chicken restaurant!

I’m all for branching out but it seems like in this situation I’d vote for CCL. :goodvibes

I can't believe there haven't been any posts since I've been gone!

I just got home from a 3-night cruise on the Dream and wanted to share my thoughts! I will preface this by saying that I cruised with my mom and younger brother, who is special needs. You vacation differently depending in who you're with and that's fine. So DH & I would probably have done different activities than we did on this sailing. So here goes!

Overall, the ship is lovely. The light fixture in the lobby is stunning and I loved all the artwork. Nothing was "in your face" Disney. It was elegant and subdued. The little details are wonderful though, such as the glass slippers in the chandelier at Royal Palace, the Mickey heads in the wrought iron gate in the Enchanted Garden and the ship's horn! No one does theming like Disney, that's for sure.

Stateroom

Our stateroom was #8164 which was a Navigator's Verandah. We loved our room and HIGHLY recommend this cabin if you want a balcony, but at a lower price than a regular verandah room. The balcony is a bit smaller than a regular one, but you really couldn't tell. It still fit 2 chairs and a table just fine. It's just the way the ship is built that causes the verandah to be a little narrower in size. However, it's considered an "obstructed-view" so it's a lower class than a normal verandah. Definitely worth the few hundred dollars in savings!

Loved the split bathroom concept. Really great. I can see where a bathtub is a great perk for families, but I can take or leave it. My husband is also about 6'3 and I really think he'll have a hard time fitting in that shower. I felt like I was almost too tall. The magnifying mirror was a nice little detail too.

I was a little annoyed that the bed didn't split into twins. Not a big deal for some, but I like having my own bed. I can see how it also might be strange if you're sharing a cabin with friends so just someone you don't normally sleep with!

The sliding door to the verandah is genius. Please Carnival take note!! It's so much quieter and easier to use. It's a little thing to take notice of, but such a nice feature!

I didn't really unpack because it was only 3 nights, but it seemed like there was plenty of storage. Outlets/charging stations by the bed were much appreciated too.

Food

Overall, I think this was the best food I've had on a cruise. It seemed like a higher caliber of food available. For example, the lunch buffet at Cabanas on embarkation day had peel & eat shrimp, mussels, crab claws, etc. I've never seen that on another sailing. I didn't have a bad meal at any of the dining rooms. Oh, and if they have the blueberry/mango twist ice cream at the self-serve place, make yourself a cone! :laughing: So yummy! But seriously, we all agreed the food was excellent.

The only negatives I found were the disappointing salad bar and the pizza. The pizza just wasn't great and the slices were tiny. And I've seen better salad bars at a chain buffet restaurant! Oh and to be honest, I also missed Blue Iguana & Guy's Burgers!

Ship Spaces

We really enjoyed the Quiet Cove pool and the adult deck (Serenity Falls?). It was an upper deck with a fountain/pool. Which is another thing I wish Carnival would take note of - PLEASE put a pool on the Serenity decks!

The "lido" deck was overall way to crowded, hectic, and loud for us. And there were TONS of kids on this sailing. Between the 2 smaller pools, the movie screen that was always showing a movie, the water slides, kids area, the food & drink stations, etc, it just seemed really crowded all the time. It was hard to even walk through sometimes. One thing I noticed was that the stations that served the pizza, burgers/hot dogs, sandwiches, etc, were on the complete opposite side of the deck than the buffet. But there were no drink stations there. So you had to walk all the way to the other side of the deck just to get a drink. Minor inconvenience, yes, but it was a little annoying trying to navigate through a crowded deck when it would have been so easy just to throw a drink station down there!

I mentioned before that the lobby was very pretty, however, it always quiet. There were character greetings there, guest services, a bar tucked into the far side. It wasn't the center of any activity, which I kind of missed.

Dining rooms were all really cool. I do like the rotating dining room concept, however, I think I'm spoiled with My Time Dining on Carnival. We had the early seating because of my brother, which was at 5:45. That's really early for me. I definitely understand that set dining times are needed because of the rotating concept, but I enjoy the freedom of eating whenever is convenient.

Entertainment

The shows were the Golden Mickeys, Beauty & the Beast, and Believe. I admit I did not see Beauty & the Beast because I went to watch Avengers: Endgame (amazing btw!) instead. However, my mom said it was not only the best stage show she has seen on a ship, but was probably the best version of B&tB she's ever seen. Golden Mickeys & Believe were also excellent. So yes, Disney wins for best stage shows, but honestly, I wouldn't expect anything less!

We did a few other little things like a drawing class and family game show, but I did miss things like the late-night comedians and varied live music. The ship definitely died down at about 11:00PM. So if you're looking for late-night entertainment, you probably aren't going to find much.

Random Other Things :rotfl:

I'll be completely honest: I enjoy having a beverage package. It didn't matter much here because of the short duration and who I was sailing with, but I can see how DH & I would really miss this on a longer voyage. The few times we did order drinks, I was disappointed with the presentation. They used cheap paper cups that look like they came from a gas station, unless you bought the souvenir cup. Very strange to me! And yes, you get paper straws, but seriously, every cup was throwaway paper! Even the cups at the drink stations. Did not seem to be Disney quality at all. I'm all for going green, but why not have reusable cups? :confused3

One of my favorite things to do on the Carnival ships is their movies under the stars. I love throwing on comfy clothes, relaxing on a lounge chair, getting popcorn, etc. So I went to watch Guardians of the Galaxy one night and was really disappointed to find that all the lounge chairs were stacked up and there were just these lousy beach chairs available. And no popcorn. I ended up leaving just because I couldn't get comfortable. So that experience was a bust.

Also, the seats in the Walt Disney Theater were like those old-time theater seats. Not very comfortable and not a lot of leg room. Carnival has that bench seating with tons of room and little tables that I now appreciate much more!

Castaway Cay was wonderful. It's an awesome port stop and I can see why people love it. Really nice beach day. I was skeptical about the lunch, but it was great! The only negative I can say is $34 to rent snorkel gear? Really? :sad2:

Overall

We had a fun time. Would I do a 3-night cruise again? Nope. Wayyyyyy too short and I hate to say it's not worth it, but in my opinion, it almost is. And that's referring to any cruise line. 3-nights just doesn't cut it for me. I would possibly add a 3-night onto a WDW vacation, but even then I don't think I would do less than 4 nights.

Is DCL my first choice for cruising in the Caribbean? Probably not. The service was wonderful, the ship was beautiful, food was excellent. Did those things justify the MUCH higher price tag? In our case, I don't think so. I also don't think DH & I are their target audience, and that's fine. We enjoy beverage packages, late night entertainment, and adult comedians and we aren't going to find that on DCL. If we had children, my opinion might change. But that's why everyone needs to decide what works best for their family!

I think our British Isles cruise will be a much different experience and I'm still so very excited for it. But I think we will be getting our Disney fix at WDW in the future. We LOVE cruising and DCL isn't off the table completely, but I see us cruising Carnival and possibly giving Royal and NCL a try before coming back to it.

Sorry I rambled a bit, but I wanted to get everything down before I forgot! :thumbsup2

I just got home from a 3-night cruise on the Dream and wanted to share my thoughts! I will preface this by saying that I cruised with my mom and younger brother, who is special needs. You vacation differently depending in who you're with and that's fine. So DH & I would probably have done different activities than we did on this sailing. So here goes!

Overall, the ship is lovely. The light fixture in the lobby is stunning and I loved all the artwork. Nothing was "in your face" Disney. It was elegant and subdued. The little details are wonderful though, such as the glass slippers in the chandelier at Royal Palace, the Mickey heads in the wrought iron gate in the Enchanted Garden and the ship's horn! No one does theming like Disney, that's for sure.

Stateroom

Our stateroom was #8164 which was a Navigator's Verandah. We loved our room and HIGHLY recommend this cabin if you want a balcony, but at a lower price than a regular verandah room. The balcony is a bit smaller than a regular one, but you really couldn't tell. It still fit 2 chairs and a table just fine. It's just the way the ship is built that causes the verandah to be a little narrower in size. However, it's considered an "obstructed-view" so it's a lower class than a normal verandah. Definitely worth the few hundred dollars in savings!

Loved the split bathroom concept. Really great. I can see where a bathtub is a great perk for families, but I can take or leave it. My husband is also about 6'3 and I really think he'll have a hard time fitting in that shower. I felt like I was almost too tall. The magnifying mirror was a nice little detail too.

I was a little annoyed that the bed didn't split into twins. Not a big deal for some, but I like having my own bed. I can see how it also might be strange if you're sharing a cabin with friends so just someone you don't normally sleep with!

The sliding door to the verandah is genius. Please Carnival take note!! It's so much quieter and easier to use. It's a little thing to take notice of, but such a nice feature!

I didn't really unpack because it was only 3 nights, but it seemed like there was plenty of storage. Outlets/charging stations by the bed were much appreciated too.

Food

Overall, I think this was the best food I've had on a cruise. It seemed like a higher caliber of food available. For example, the lunch buffet at Cabanas on embarkation day had peel & eat shrimp, mussels, crab claws, etc. I've never seen that on another sailing. I didn't have a bad meal at any of the dining rooms. Oh, and if they have the blueberry/mango twist ice cream at the self-serve place, make yourself a cone! :laughing: So yummy! But seriously, we all agreed the food was excellent.

The only negatives I found were the disappointing salad bar and the pizza. The pizza just wasn't great and the slices were tiny. And I've seen better salad bars at a chain buffet restaurant! Oh and to be honest, I also missed Blue Iguana & Guy's Burgers!

Ship Spaces

We really enjoyed the Quiet Cove pool and the adult deck (Serenity Falls?). It was an upper deck with a fountain/pool. Which is another thing I wish Carnival would take note of - PLEASE put a pool on the Serenity decks!

The "lido" deck was overall way to crowded, hectic, and loud for us. And there were TONS of kids on this sailing. Between the 2 smaller pools, the movie screen that was always showing a movie, the water slides, kids area, the food & drink stations, etc, it just seemed really crowded all the time. It was hard to even walk through sometimes. One thing I noticed was that the stations that served the pizza, burgers/hot dogs, sandwiches, etc, were on the complete opposite side of the deck than the buffet. But there were no drink stations there. So you had to walk all the way to the other side of the deck just to get a drink. Minor inconvenience, yes, but it was a little annoying trying to navigate through a crowded deck when it would have been so easy just to throw a drink station down there!

I mentioned before that the lobby was very pretty, however, it always quiet. There were character greetings there, guest services, a bar tucked into the far side. It wasn't the center of any activity, which I kind of missed.

Dining rooms were all really cool. I do like the rotating dining room concept, however, I think I'm spoiled with My Time Dining on Carnival. We had the early seating because of my brother, which was at 5:45. That's really early for me. I definitely understand that set dining times are needed because of the rotating concept, but I enjoy the freedom of eating whenever is convenient.

Entertainment

The shows were the Golden Mickeys, Beauty & the Beast, and Believe. I admit I did not see Beauty & the Beast because I went to watch Avengers: Endgame (amazing btw!) instead. However, my mom said it was not only the best stage show she has seen on a ship, but was probably the best version of B&tB she's ever seen. Golden Mickeys & Believe were also excellent. So yes, Disney wins for best stage shows, but honestly, I wouldn't expect anything less!

We did a few other little things like a drawing class and family game show, but I did miss things like the late-night comedians and varied live music. The ship definitely died down at about 11:00PM. So if you're looking for late-night entertainment, you probably aren't going to find much.

I'll be completely honest: I enjoy having a beverage package. It didn't matter much here because of the short duration and who I was sailing with, but I can see how DH & I would really miss this on a longer voyage. The few times we did order drinks, I was disappointed with the presentation. They used cheap paper cups that look like they came from a gas station, unless you bought the souvenir cup. Very strange to me! And yes, you get paper straws, but seriously, every cup was throwaway paper! Even the cups at the drink stations. Did not seem to be Disney quality at all. I'm all for going green, but why not have reusable cups? :confused3

One of my favorite things to do on the Carnival ships is their movies under the stars. I love throwing on comfy clothes, relaxing on a lounge chair, getting popcorn, etc. So I went to watch Guardians of the Galaxy one night and was really disappointed to find that all the lounge chairs were stacked up and there were just these lousy beach chairs available. And no popcorn. I ended up leaving just because I couldn't get comfortable. So that experience was a bust.

Also, the seats in the Walt Disney Theater were like those old-time theater seats. Not very comfortable and not a lot of leg room. Carnival has that bench seating with tons of room and little tables that I now appreciate much more!

Castaway Cay was wonderful. It's an awesome port stop and I can see why people love it. Really nice beach day. I was skeptical about the lunch, but it was great! The only negative I can say is $34 to rent snorkel gear? Really? :sad2:

Overall

We had a fun time. Would I do a 3-night cruise again? Nope. Wayyyyyy too short and I hate to say it's not worth it, but in my opinion, it almost is. And that's referring to any cruise line. 3-nights just doesn't cut it for me. I would possibly add a 3-night onto a WDW vacation, but even then I don't think I would do less than 4 nights.

Is DCL my first choice for cruising in the Caribbean? Probably not. The service was wonderful, the ship was beautiful, food was excellent. Did those things justify the MUCH higher price tag? In our case, I don't think so. I also don't think DH & I are their target audience, and that's fine. We enjoy beverage packages, late night entertainment, and adult comedians and we aren't going to find that on DCL. If we had children, my opinion might change. But that's why everyone needs to decide what works best for their family!

I think our British Isles cruise will be a much different experience and I'm still so very excited for it. But I think we will be getting our Disney fix at WDW in the future. We LOVE cruising and DCL isn't off the table completely, but I see us cruising Carnival and possibly giving Royal and NCL a try before coming back to it.

Sorry I rambled a bit, but I wanted to get everything down before I forgot! :thumbsup2
Great review!

Stateroom

Food

Ship Spaces

Entertainment

Overall

Regarding...

Stateroom: Our first cruise/DCL cruise was in a cabin with a navigators verandah. Fun and nice. What did you think of the decor?

Food: I agree that the pizza is not good and I found the burgers to be just as terrible. That being said, with time, I agree that Cabanas has more choices than the Lido (I feel like they reduced the choices since my first Carnival cruise in 2016?) and it's pretty good! DCL also has better ice cream/better choices of Ice Cream. I got tired of hoping and waiting for Strawberry Frozen Yogurt on my two last Carnival cruises (I don't really care for vanilla and chocolate).

Ship spaces: +1 for pools on Serenity deck.

Random other things: They may have changed that because I do remember plastic transparent glasses just like on Carnival for drinks in 2017...

Did you go to Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay? Which lunch did you get? Cookies or Serenity Bay BBQ (We find that the SB one is the best!)

The only thing that I found to be close to having a drink package was being able to buy a wine package for the cruise so we get a bottle of wine at dinner every night.

Regarding...

Stateroom: Our first cruise/DCL cruise was in a cabin with a navigators verandah. Fun and nice. What did you think of the decor?

Food: I agree that the pizza is not good and I found the burgers to be just as terrible. That being said, with time, I agree that Cabanas has more choices than the Lido (I feel like they reduced the choices since my first Carnival cruise in 2016?) and it's pretty good! DCL also has better ice cream/better choices of Ice Cream. I got tired of hoping and waiting for Strawberry Frozen Yogurt on my two last Carnival cruises (I don't really care for vanilla and chocolate).

Ship spaces: +1 for pools on Serenity deck.

Random other things: They may have changed that because I do remember plastic transparent glasses just like on Carnival for drinks in 2017...

Did you go to Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay? Which lunch did you get? Cookies or Serenity Bay BBQ (We find that the SB one is the best!)

The only thing that I found to be close to having a drink package was being able to buy a wine package for the cruise so we get a bottle of wine at dinner every night.

I really enjoyed Cabanas for breakfast & the embarkation day lunch, but I did find it a little strange that it was only open for dinner on pirate night. And it wasn't a buffet, but technically a table service? There have been nights on other sailings that we spend too long in the pool or get back late from port or just don't want to sit and wait for dinner...you literally just want to grab an assortment of random food from a buffet! And it didn't seem like DCL really offered that option. Even if they just used half of Cabanas as a dinner buffet and the other half as sit-down, I think it would be a good compromise!

Unless I totally missed it, I only saw paper cups and souvenir glasses. Every drink we got was in a paper cup, unless it was beer or wine.

We did not make it over to Serenity Bay unfortunately! We stayed on the family side and had a great time snorkeling, swimming and water sliding. We were pleasantly surprised with Cookies!

Stateroom

Food

Ship Spaces

Entertainment

Overall

Thanks for the review. Our first cruise was on the Dream and she is gorgeous, but all the DCL ships are.

I like how different the experience is between Carnival and Disney, I still stand by my statement that neither is better than the other, they’re just different. I’m equally excited about boarding the Carnival Vista in 18 days for the 4th time and boarding the Disney Fantasy in 402 days for the 3rd time. They are both fantastic ships and we’ll have a great time on both.

Found out some interesting info about booking spa treatments on Carnival. I logged on to our cruise planner for our Vista cruise in 18 days to book a massage. I decided on a 75 minute bamboo massage and when I went to book it, I was given timeslots throughout the week with different pricing. During peak periods the massage was $145 during non-peak times it was only $103. I really like that structure, I took a 9:15 AM on the first sea day of the cruise and it was only $103. They also give a 30% discount on each service if you book 3 or more during your trip. I may get a facial and shave while I’m at it!!

Found out some interesting info about booking spa treatments on Carnival. I logged on to our cruise planner for our Vista cruise in 18 days to book a massage. I decided on a 75 minute bamboo massage and when I went to book it, I was given timeslots throughout the week with different pricing. During peak periods the massage was $145 during non-peak times it was only $103. I really like that structure, I took a 9:15 AM on the first sea day of the cruise and it was only $103. They also give a 30% discount on each service if you book 3 or more during your trip. I may get a facial and shave while I’m at it!!

I tried Carnival's spa last year and loved it. I have read that if you prepay for spa services to make sure that they do not accidentally double charge you. I guess the spa company is a completely separate company from Carnival and doesn't always receive the information that you have paid. But I do not know how true this is- just read about it once on CC.

Sorry I have not responded back on our cruise choice dilemma. I really appreciate all the feedback! We have not booked yet and are still wavering (just a bit) but I am pretty sure it will be CCL.

I really enjoyed Cabanas for breakfast & the embarkation day lunch, but I did find it a little strange that it was only open for dinner on pirate night. And it wasn't a buffet, but technically a table service? There have been nights on other sailings that we spend too long in the pool or get back late from port or just don't want to sit and wait for dinner...you literally just want to grab an assortment of random food from a buffet! And it didn't seem like DCL really offered that option. Even if they just used half of Cabanas as a dinner buffet and the other half as sit-down, I think it would be a good compromise!

There is a current thread discussing this exact topic (I posted the exact thing as the last sentence i underlined just the other day)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/is-cabanas-really-closed.3750157/unread

Have you thought about booking a Cloud 9 Spa cabin? They come with interesting perks (and even better deals on spa treatments like massages) and the thermal suite.

Ughh so indecisive!

About to pull the trigger and put a deposit down on the 8 night Southern Caribbean on the Horizon for a date in either February or early March 2020. We also plan on doing a WDW trip in September/October of next year as well, mainly because we love Halloween time at the parks!

But then I just happened to see a little “Halloween on the high seas” ad and checked out the Horizon pricing in October. It’s a few hundred dollars less and we’ve never done a Halloween cruise. On our last cruise they were putting up Halloween decorations as we disembarked and we thought it would be so fun to do Halloween sometime!

So now we’re thinking maybe we should literally just switch our plans and do it the opposite way! Has anyone done a Halloween cruise??

It’s already stressing me out, especially because I’m such a planner (I really love the planning aspect!) and WDW hasn’t released pricing for 2020 yet. :faint: So it drives me crazy that I can’t immediately get ballpark pricing. Oh and flights are the same issue. DH thinks I’m crazy for trying to do this “so early.” *sigh* I figured fellow Disboarders might understand! :rotfl:

Have you thought about booking a Cloud 9 Spa cabin? They come with interesting perks (and even better deals on spa treatments like massages) and the thermal suite.
We’ve looked into it but always want connecting cabins with our teens. Unfortunately, the Spa 9 cabins don’t offer connecting. I love the decor of them though, they’re so nice.

Ughh so indecisive!

About to pull the trigger and put a deposit down on the 8 night Southern Caribbean on the Horizon for a date in either February or early March 2020. We also plan on doing a WDW trip in September/October of next year as well, mainly because we love Halloween time at the parks!

But then I just happened to see a little “Halloween on the high seas” ad and checked out the Horizon pricing in October. It’s a few hundred dollars less and we’ve never done a Halloween cruise. On our last cruise they were putting up Halloween decorations as we disembarked and we thought it would be so fun to do Halloween sometime!

So now we’re thinking maybe we should literally just switch our plans and do it the opposite way! Has anyone done a Halloween cruise??

It’s already stressing me out, especially because I’m such a planner (I really love the planning aspect!) and WDW hasn’t released pricing for 2020 yet. :faint: So it drives me crazy that I can’t immediately get ballpark pricing. Oh and flights are the same issue. DH thinks I’m crazy for trying to do this “so early.” *sigh* I figured fellow Disboarders might understand! :rotfl:

Yes! I caught one of the first "Halloween cruise" mid-october last year since Carnival has introduced Halloween celebration on board. The decorations were pretty nice (I'll try to find pictures). I feel like since it was new most people did not get the memo ... but I noticed some children wearing costumes. We wanted to attend the party but... We fell asleep (LOL).

This year people should participate more.

So I'd vote for Land & Sea. :P

Edit: Found two pictures we have taken on Carnival Sensation.

20181017_190704-1560x2080.jpg 20181013_143718_HDR-1560x2080.jpg

Last edited:
We’ve looked into it but always want connecting cabins with our teens. Unfortunately, the Spa 9 cabins don’t offer connecting. I love the decor of them though, they’re so nice.

It's nice and the perks are worth it.

Not on Carnival but DH and I will have connecting cabins with his parents in January. How is the soundproofing between connecting rooms on a cruise ship? (They snore very loudly LOL)

Last edited:
Ughh so indecisive!

We did a Halloween cruise on the Carnival Dream. They had a bunch of decorations, a costume contest and some special desserts in the dining room. They have really kicked up the celebration in the last few years.

That being said, Halloween in the parks was my absolute favourite time. Days started to cool, nights were breezy and the décor and special offerings are amazing.

My 2 cents, I'd stick with your original plan.

We did a Halloween cruise on the Carnival Dream. They had a bunch of decorations, a costume contest and some special desserts in the dining room. They have really kicked up the celebration in the last few years.

That being said, Halloween in the parks was my absolute favourite time. Days started to cool, nights were breezy and the décor and special offerings are amazing.

My 2 cents, I'd stick with your original plan.

Thank you for the input! :goodvibes We do love Halloweentime at WDW. And DH loves Horror Nights at Universal. So we may end up sticking with the original. Thought it might be fun to try something new, but either way we’ll still have a great time!

Unless I totally missed it, I only saw paper cups and souvenir glasses. Every drink we got was in a paper cup, unless it was beer or wine.

We did not make it over to Serenity Bay unfortunately! We stayed on the family side and had a great time snorkeling, swimming and water sliding. We were pleasantly surprised with Cookies!

I think that's how dinner is always handled in Cabanas... at least whenever we have gone up its been like that. I assume so many people just go to the MDR it would be too much waste to do it as a buffet but I don't know the official reason.

Were the paper cups inside as well as out...? I've always been served drinks in proper glassware inside on DCL (our last cruise was over xmas) but outside they tended to use plastic ware on the Fantasy. I haven't sailed on the Dream since our first ever cruise in 2011 though. On Castaway it was single use cups though which now that you mention it I am annoyed by even if I understand people will be wandering around...! :crazy2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter