CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this article pretty interesting, just talks about Mardi Gras and the future of Carnival. I really feel like they are trying really hard to get rid of their party reputation, and at the same time attracting more families. https://cruiseradio.net/how-mardi-g...wt2bGccLr54pS0gb-FpoIrCLnZBsNreDkvVTwbpv50pqs

Agreed! The ship just looks stunning. I love the mix of sophistication and casual-ness. Beautiful, tropical feeling pool area + 2 story Tiki bar = yes please! Umm those Excel suites? Ah-mazing. Very interested to see the pricing when she debuts!

Agreed! The ship just looks stunning. I love the mix of sophistication and casual-ness. Beautiful, tropical feeling pool area + 2 story Tiki bar = yes please! Umm those Excel suites? Ah-mazing. Very interested to see the pricing when she debuts!
The excel suites are about the same price as standard verandahs on DCL 🤪🤪. We’re booked, in insides, for New Years Eve 2020, can hardly wait to see that ship and so looking forward to the New Years Party. It’s gonna be so much fun! I don’t even know what our itinerary is 😂

I really feel like the Mardi Gras will be the beginning of a new era for Carnival. IMO, with the Vista, Horizon and Panorama, they were already going "somewhere else" but THIS is definitely a 180 degree.

But are they going to stop dumping trash in the ocean, or just keep doing it and paying fines? You can’t be “family friendly” while ruining the earth for the young people in the “family”.

The excel suites are about the same price as standard verandahs on DCL 🤪🤪. We’re booked, in insides, for New Years Eve 2020, can hardly wait to see that ship and so looking forward to the New Years Party. It’s gonna be so much fun! I don’t even know what our itinerary is 😂

I feel like I should be surprised, but I'm not. I love Disney so much, but that's just crazy to me! It's getting harder and harder to justify unfortunately, and I imagine we'll be getting our future Disney fixes at WDW. :confused3 But I can't wait to hear a review of the ship,and I'm sure your trip will be amazing. I've always thought NYE was kind of overrated, but I would definitely be up for spending it that way! :laughing:

But are they going to stop dumping trash in the ocean, or just keep doing it and paying fines? You can’t be “family friendly” while ruining the earth for the young people in the “family”.

I certainly hope that Carnival Corp and every other cruise lines will never do this again... So... Agreed.

That being said, cruises are terrible for the environment to begin with. If cruise lines really cared about the environment, they would stop all activities. If people really cared for the environment, they would stop cruising.

We have officially cancelled our WDW vacation that was planned for 2020. Too much construction at Epcot and we don't care about SW. We will most likely do a trip in 2022 for my nieces HS graduation. I believe most of the updates and new rides will be ready by that time.

The kids don't want to cruise but do want to go to the beach so we are going to try our first all-inclusive. Lots of research to do now!

We have officially cancelled our WDW vacation that was planned for 2020. Too much construction at Epcot and we don't care about SW. We will most likely do a trip in 2022 for my nieces HS graduation. I believe most of the updates and new rides will be ready by that time.

The kids don't want to cruise but do want to go to the beach so we are going to try our first all-inclusive. Lots of research to do now!

Where are you going? :)

No clue! We are looking at Cancun, Punta Cana and possibly some places in Jamaica.

I would urge caution with Punta Cana. That is one of the areas where there has been an abnormally high number of American tourist deaths lately.

No clue! We are looking at Cancun, Punta Cana and possibly some places in Jamaica.

Our Jan 2020 cruise stops in Jamaica. They have a new excursion that goes to a resort that I will probably book. If you're still in the research stage I can let you know how it is if you're interested. I don't blame you for cancelling. Epcot will be a lot better after it's renovation.

Hi all, been following this thread and thanks to all!! Just returned from 8 day cruise on the Carnival Horizon (my first with Carnival), and we enjoyed it so much we will be booking Mardi Gras for 2020. First time visits to Grand Turk, DR, Curacao and Aruba. Briefly we found the over-all service on par with the best we have seen, the food excellent, and the ship wonderful.

I hope I can say this, I did post a full review on that other web-site, and it should be up in a few days under my pen-name toocruisin2.

Hi all, been following this thread and thanks to all!! Just returned from 8 day cruise on the Carnival Horizon (my first with Carnival), and we enjoyed it so much we will be booking Mardi Gras for 2020. First time visits to Grand Turk, DR, Curacao and Aruba. Briefly we found the over-all service on par with the best we have seen, the food excellent, and the ship wonderful.

I hope I can say this, I did post a full review on that other web-site, and it should be up in a few days under my pen-name toocruisin2.

So happy you had a great time!

Worst case scenario, feel free to copy-paste your review here! :)

Our Jan 2020 cruise stops in Jamaica. They have a new excursion that goes to a resort that I will probably book. If you're still in the research stage I can let you know how it is if you're interested. I don't blame you for cancelling. Epcot will be a lot better after it's renovation.

I did not know there were excursions that are going to resorts...? Which ones?

So glad to hear you had a wonderful time! That itinerary sounds fantastic. Will try to read your review! But if you can, definitely post it here! :goodvibes

I did not know there were excursions that are going to resorts...? Which ones?

For our Didney cruise there's the Jewel Bay Resort excursion. The excursion includes the beach, pools, and lunch at the restaurant. There is also a golf course there that isn't included. Of course we can't see the rooms at the resort, but can see how nice/not nice the rest of the resort is. It's about an hour from port, so deciding if we'll book with DCL or on our since it would be cheaper. There's another excursion that goes to Discovery Bay. I'm trying to find out if this is a resort or not. There's a Discovery Bay Resort, but I don't know if it's the same one that the DCL excursion goes to or not. The DCL one is about 30 mins from port, so not sure where that would be.

Anyone cruising this week? Can't wait to see how Dorian will affect all cruises...

So...we had an interesting end to our Horizon cruise. Major credit to our Captain. When we left our last port - Aruba - he made the decision to go as fast as he possibly could go, so that he could get into the vicinity of the Port of Miami as soon as possible. As a result, we were in position for them to request to enter the port early on Saturday evening since we were about 12 hours ahead of schedule.

They had been granted permission to do so pretty early in the day on Saturday. So they made an announcement that they would hold an information/Q&A session at 1pm (originally was at 11am, then noon, then 1pm) and everyone should either come to the theater, or watch it on the big screen by the pool or in your staterooms. They announced that they would be docking at POM around 7:15pm and that anyone who wished to disembark would be able to do so, and anyone choosing to remain on board would be welcome to do so and it would be "on us" - meaning the general cruise fare only - but that they did not know when they would be back to the port. It could be Monday, could be Wednesday (today, which is what it ended up being). If you knew you wanted to disembark Sat night, they asked you to fill out a form and get it guest services ASAP. They also said that they put in a request to remain docked overnight to complete a "normal" debarkation (and I assume conduct an embarkation for the next cruise) Sunday morning. We were hoping that would be the case, as our flight home was Sunday afternoon.

They gathered us again about 4:30pm and the Captain said he was 99% sure we would not be able to remain in port overnight and that they would probably have to leave the port by 10pm (this was confirmed about an hour later). So then we had to make the decision to get off that night. My wife went online and immediately looked for and booked a hotel near PBI - where we were due to fly out of the next day. We normally never get WiFi, but had gotten it the day earlier to monitor the situation (at the initial gathering, they announced that everyone would be refunded for the WiFi the last day). We sent a a message to our kids letting then know that we were getting off that night, and immediately went back to the stateroom and finish up packing (we got most of it ready the day prior). We went to get some dinner at Pig & Anchor (we still had a $15 voucher fromthe package they sell), and by the time we were done the ship was docking. We returned to our stateroom to wait to disembark.

It was one chaotic debarkation, not to mention how weird it was to disembark at night. First off, everyone had to carry off all their luggage. They initially said they would start with with the higher decks and work their way down (we were on deck 2 - Family Harbor). They ended up doing the opposite. Also during this time, they changed cruise directors (it was Mike Pack's last cruise before his vacation, so he was getting off the ship and "Cookie" took over). They said it would start about 7:30 and that they needed to get everyone off (who wanted to) by 9:30pm because the port was closing at 10pm and they need to leave by then. They didn't start - or finish - on that schedule. I think we walked off just before 9pm. I believe the ship left about 10:40pm. It was crazy with all the people getting off crowding by the elevators (more on those later!) with all their luggage. There were crew members (including Cookie!) grabbing people's luggage and taking them up the stairs from 2 to 3 so they didn't have to wait for the elevators. According to someone from our FB group had posted that as it was getting close to 10pm, they made announcement that they only had 6 more minutes to get people off (even though they still had several decks to go), and that people started running down the stairs with their luggage. Also that at one point, they closed the doors even though there was still a lot of people looking to get off. They eventually re-opened the doors and got everyone off.

So...we had an interesting end to our Horizon cruise. Major credit to our Captain. When we left our last port - Aruba - he made the decision to go as fast as he possibly could go, so that he could get into the vicinity of the Port of Miami as soon as possible. As a result, we were in position for them to request to enter the port early on Saturday evening since we were about 12 hours ahead of schedule.

They had been granted permission to do so pretty early in the day on Saturday. So they made an announcement that they would hold an information/Q&A session at 1pm (originally was at 11am, then noon, then 1pm) and everyone should either come to the theater, or watch it on the big screen by the pool or in your staterooms. They announced that they would be docking at POM around 7:15pm and that anyone who wished to disembark would be able to do so, and anyone choosing to remain on board would be welcome to do so and it would be "on us" - meaning the general cruise fare only - but that they did not know when they would be back to the port. It could be Monday, could be Wednesday (today, which is what it ended up being). If you knew you wanted to disembark Sat night, they asked you to fill out a form and get it guest services ASAP. They also said that they put in a request to remain docked overnight to complete a "normal" debarkation (and I assume conduct an embarkation for the next cruise) Sunday morning. We were hoping that would be the case, as our flight home was Sunday afternoon.

They gathered us again about 4:30pm and the Captain said he was 99% sure we would not be able to remain in port overnight and that they would probably have to leave the port by 10pm (this was confirmed about an hour later). So then we had to make the decision to get off that night. My wife went online and immediately looked for and booked a hotel near PBI - where we were due to fly out of the next day. We normally never get WiFi, but had gotten it the day earlier to monitor the situation (at the initial gathering, they announced that everyone would be refunded for the WiFi the last day). We sent a a message to our kids letting then know that we were getting off that night, and immediately went back to the stateroom and finish up packing (we got most of it ready the day prior). We went to get some dinner at Pig & Anchor (we still had a $15 voucher fromthe package they sell), and by the time we were done the ship was docking. We returned to our stateroom to wait to disembark.

It was one chaotic debarkation, not to mention how weird it was to disembark at night. First off, everyone had to carry off all their luggage. They initially said they would start with with the higher decks and work their way down (we were on deck 2 - Family Harbor). They ended up doing the opposite. Also during this time, they changed cruise directors (it was Mike Pack's last cruise before his vacation, so he was getting off the ship and "Cookie" took over). They said it would start about 7:30 and that they needed to get everyone off (who wanted to) by 9:30pm because the port was closing at 10pm and they need to leave by then. They didn't start - or finish - on that schedule. I think we walked off just before 9pm. I believe the ship left about 10:40pm. It was crazy with all the people getting off crowding by the elevators (more on those later!) with all their luggage. There were crew members (including Cookie!) grabbing people's luggage and taking them up the stairs from 2 to 3 so they didn't have to wait for the elevators. According to someone from our FB group had posted that as it was getting close to 10pm, they made announcement that they only had 6 more minutes to get people off (even though they still had several decks to go), and that people started running down the stairs with their luggage. Also that at one point, they closed the doors even though there was still a lot of people looking to get off. They eventually re-opened the doors and got everyone off.

OOofff. Crazy.

Thank you for that.

Based on your experience, my mind in already made up. I think if that happens to us (having the choice between an expedited disembarkation or staying on the ship because of a hurricane), we'll choose to remain on the ship!

OOofff. Crazy.

Thank you for that.

Based on your experience, my mind in already made up. I think if that happens to us (having the choice between an expedited disembarkation or staying on the ship because of a hurricane), we'll choose to remain on the ship!

Our daughter's first day of high school was today. We couldn't risk having her miss that. Otherwise, we might have stayed. Based off the FB posts of those who stayed...Sunday, Monday, and early Tuesday were fantastic - great weather, and calm seas. The ship basically went down near the western end of Cuba and stayed in that area. However, after they got the word yesterday that they could return Wednesday morning and started heading toward Miami things went downhill. Apparently, there were several hours during the night that were really bad - people were afraid to sleep in their bed because they felt they may roll off the ship was listing so much. Overall it was mixed among those who were glad they stayed and those who felt they made a mistake. A lot of posts about how weird it was with a less than half-full ship. They apparently gave crew members some extra time off and allowed them to walk around the ship as if they were passengers.

I'll be back later to post overall thoughts about the ship and cruise (spoiler: it's mostly positive).

Our daughter's first day of high school was today. We couldn't risk having her miss that. Otherwise, we might have stayed. Based off the FB posts of those who stayed...Sunday, Monday, and early Tuesday were fantastic - great weather, and calm seas. The ship basically went down near the western end of Cuba and stayed in that area. However, after they got the word yesterday that they could return Wednesday morning and started heading toward Miami things went downhill. Apparently, there were several hours during the night that were really bad - people were afraid to sleep in their bed because they felt they may roll off the ship was listing so much. Overall it was mixed among those who were glad they stayed and those who felt they made a mistake. A lot of posts about how weird it was with a less than half-full ship. They apparently gave crew members some extra time off and allowed them to walk around the ship as if they were passengers.

I'll be back later to post overall thoughts about the ship and cruise (spoiler: it's mostly positive).

Can't wait to read it. :)

We are also booked on Mardi Gras for NYE and can't wait to try this new ship!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter