CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here cruised on Norwegian Escape? They have a Northern Europe/Russia cruise in June 2021 that we’re considering. I really know nothing about NCL though. The cabins and the ship look really nice, and it’s a great itinerary.
We have looked at that cruise too after reading some reviews. Looks awesome.
I have been trying to find one of the reviews I read but no luck. I think it was by TheDougOut on CC.

Last edited:
Has anyone here cruised on Norwegian Escape? They have a Northern Europe/Russia cruise in June 2021 that we’re considering. I really know nothing about NCL though. The cabins and the ship look really nice, and it’s a great itinerary.

We have not been on Escape, but on sister ships Getaway & Bliss. The ships are very nice and well-designed. Some nice touches such as their 'waterfront" idea of having bar/restaurant seating outside. The 24/7 pub area is a favorite feature of mine that i wish other lines would incorporate in some form. Staterooms were nice too - I like that they have coffee makers in the room (for balcony rooms and up). We enjoyed the "Freestyle" approach to dining and the flexibility it provides, and we never had trouble getting into where ever we wanted to go for dinner. Of course, the "open bar" perk they include with most bookings these days is a plus. The one knock I give NCL is for service. We had two bad room stewards and service in the MDRs tend to be awfully slow.

No, but I have been ogling that itinerary for years. I can't talk my family into it though. Maybe someday.

We've never sailed on the Escape, but have sailed on a couple of NCL's smaller ships. We have the Encore booked for 2021 which will be a sister ship to the Escape when it launches this Nov. We are really looking forward to trying out one of the mega ships, as I'm sure the experience will be very different from our cruises on the Sun and Gem.
I'll echo the previous poster that there are two great Escape reviews on CC from a poster named TheDougOut. While his cruising style is definitely different than ours (he makes exceptional use of his unlimited beverage package :goodvibes), his reviews are a fun read and give you lots of info about the ship and it's activities. There are also some great reviews by a poster named BirdTravels of many NCL ships.

All that being said, while I can't share any first had knowledge about the Breakaway Plus class ships, I can share a bit of info about NCL in general:

Service - for us the service on NCL has always been terrific. It's different than Disney service in that it's not as personal (dare I say "in your face"?) as Disney's, but just as good overall. I've found the crew to be friendly and efficient which is all I ask for. I will note, though, that we sailed in a suite both times. While that shouldn't make any difference, it's probably kind of naive to assume it doesn't.

Food - We enjoy the food on NCL and definitely prefer the Freestyle model of cruising. Just understand that Freestyle doesn't really mean "show up when you want and be seated". If you want to eat at the specialty restaurants, you definitely need to make a reservation - either online before your cruise or as soon as you get on the ship. Supposedly they only offer about a third of the reservations to be booked online, so don't despair if you have to wait until you get on board. Just take care of it that first day (through the app, digital boards, your stateroom TV, or at the reservation desk) and you'll be set. We have never made any reservations for the MDR's, though you can if you prefer. You can even request a certain server if you find one you like. We've never waited more that a few minutes for a table in the MDR's without reservations, though YMMV on that.

Entertainment - In my opinion, NCL's evening shows are targeted for adults. Most of the shows we've seen or that I've read about on other ships are either something most younger children wouldn't be interested in or are not age appropriate. However, as a family of adults (our son is now 21), we have really enjoyed the evening entertainment on NCL. While I appreciate the quality of Disney's offerings (and they are fabulous for kids!!), their shows began to grate on me after a few cruises, and we mostly skipped them.

I do find that NCL is really lacking when it comes to daytime indoor activities. They do have the typical trivia and such, though that's not really our cup of tea. A lot of their so called activities really are thinly veiled sales pitches for the spa, the jewelry store, etc. The Escape does appear to have a great outdoor pool deck with lots of water slides, etc. So on a warm weather cruise, I think you'd find more things to fill your day if those are activities you enjoy.

Demographics - I think this really depends on when and where you sail. We sailed on the Sun in Alaska in the middle of the summer and there was broad mix of passengers - older, younger, families with kids, etc. Then my husband and I sailed the Gem to Canada in October and were probably in the younger 10% of the passengers (we were 56 and 60 at the time). I imagine a Caribbean cruise during summer or spring break will be filled with a lot of young adults enjoying the unlimited beverage package. Passenger mixes are not a make it or break it for us (well, maybe the last one :rolleyes:) but it is something to consider.

For us, we think NCL is a great option for a port intensive cruise. They have some really terrific itineraries and while their prices have increased pretty significantly since we first sailed with them in 2017, they still can be a good value, especially when you factor in the different perks they offer at booking. Just note that some of those perks come with extra gratuity charges (drink package and specialty dining package), so make sure you go far enough in the booking process to see how much those will be when comparing prices. I probably wouldn't choose them for a transatlantic cruise with tons of sea days, but find them to be a wonderful floating hotel and a great way to see the world. In a little over a month, we'll be on the NCL Jade sailing to Italy/Greece/Croatia/Montenegro and we can't wait!

Last edited:

Good morning everyone! We are officially home from our DCL British Isles cruise! We had an amazing trip and I feel like there is so much to mention. I'll try my best, but if anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to ask! I won't go day by day or anything, but will try to review and compare different aspects of the actual cruise itself and talk about the ports.

I will start off by saying, this cruise was completely different than your "normal" Caribbean sailing. I mean I was packing jeans and sweatshirts and leggings vs. swimsuits and shorts. The crowd was older and more subdued and we saw few children. I imagine it would be similar to an Alaskan cruise. We expected all this and were fine with it.

It was also our first cruise where the actual ship came second. Usually the ship plays a big role in what actual cruise we end up choosing. Ports are important, don't get me wrong, but the actual ship is super important to us because we spend a lot of time on it! In this case, it was basically just using the ship as a means to get from Port A to Port B. And all the ports were awesome! DH & I agreed that we needed at least another day in each of them. I think this cruise needed to be a 9 or 10 day for sure. Overnights in each of the ports would have been a real selling point for this voyage.

Ok, so the ports themselves:

Dublin - We DEFINITELY needed another day here. I booked tickets for a Hop On-Hop Off bus and tickets to the EPIC Irish Emigration Museum. Both were worth it. Dublin is a really neat city, but it is so bustling and so much traffic in such a small space. Just getting around the city took a lot of time. We also shopped on Grafton Street and found an awesome Irish pub (which was a priority!) for drinks and lunch. If we had had another day, we would have gotten out to the countryside for sure.

Belfast - I'm ashamed to say I didn't know really anything about this country before visiting. It was another bustling city with so much history. We also did a HOHO bus here and also booked tickets for the Crumlin Road Gaol and the Titanic Museum. I highly recommend the HOHO and both of these attractions, especially the Titanic Museum. It covers more of the actual construction of the ship and the berth where it was built is still there. Amazing place. Looking at the itinerary for next year, I see Belfast isn't on it, which I find unfortunate. We had a great time here.

Greenock, Scotland - We booked a 3rd party tour here, through Discover Scotland Tours, and it turned out to be a great decision. We had a small bus of only 16 people and were driven out through the Highlands, saw numerous lochs and castles, had lunch at a pub/inn that you literally picture in your mind when you think of Scotland, and had a great tour guide. It was a full day excursion and we paid about $100 for 2 of us. DCL offered a similar excursion and I believe it was $150 per person. So that was a win. We got some of the best photos on this tour and it was nice to get out of the city!

Liverpool - Home of the Beatles! We actually did an escape room here! (DH & I love escape rooms!) What was great about this port was we could literally walk off the ship into the city. No buses or transfers needed. It was very welcome after the other ports. We had a leisurely day here. The waterfront where we were had tons of shops, museums, and restaurants to enjoy and it was a little more low key than our other days.

So onto the ship itself:

Stateroom - We had a deluxe Oceanview on deck 2 midship. We loved the location of our room, it was so convenient, especially since the Magic isn't that large or hard to get around. DH & I decided we do like the DCL staterooms over Carnival. The porthole window was huge, decor is so cute, the bed was very comfortable, and you just can't beat the split bathrooms. The only thing I can nitpick about was the lack of shelving/drawer space. The closet needed some shelving because I don't like hanging everything up. And we had maybe 2 deep drawers? The others were very small and shallow. Oh and the hairdryer was hopeless. The most underpowered thing ever. :laughing:

Food/Dining - I have mixed feelings about set dining times now. On one hand, we loved having the same dining team with us every night. And getting to experience the theming and different restaurants is wonderful. On the other hand, it's inconvenient. The early dining time was 6PM, which was too early, so we had late dining at 8:30, which was actually pretty late. I don't think we made it out of dinner until 10:30PM every single night, which in turn, cut into the 1 or 2 evening adult activities we wanted to do. So we decided we really enjoy anytime or freestyle dining because it fits our way of eating much more.

We had dinner in the dining rooms every night except on Frozen night. The menu just did not look appetizing that night and we heard from people who had eaten, that it wasn't that great. However, every meal we had in the dining rooms was great. Really no complaints here.

Cabanas on the other hand....it was meh. Breakfast left a lot to be desired. Eggs had zero flavor, Mickey waffles were dry and rather hard, fruit was mushy, etc. We ended up only eating breakfast 2 or 3 times.

I was a little annoyed on embarkation day because we were late to board. The previous sailing had run into some issues with disembarking so everything was running behind. We knew something was up because we had taken DCL transport from Heathrow airport thinking when we arrived at the port at 1:30 PM, we could walk right on. Instead, we arrived to a huge line stretching outside the terminal. We didn't get to even board the ship until almost 3PM. So we dropped our bags off and got up to Cabanas as fast as we could thinking we'll just grab something quick...and it was already closed up. I understand that they still have to get ready for dinner, but under the circumstances, maybe an exception should have been made? Every other day, lunch was only served until 2PM, which seemed so early to me, especially with the late dinner not until 8:30. It also didn't open again until 6:30 for dinner. It was actually closed off to guests during the "down" time, which I found strange because the Carnival lido deck buffets are still open to guests at all times. Yes, the grill and deli and pizza are still open outside until 6PM, but when it's 60 degrees outside did they not think maybe guests just want to use a table inside instead of on deck? Just a thought! So unfortunately, Cabanas gets an overall thumbs down from me.

We did not get a chance to order room service and I wish I would have. Just not time.

To be continued! Also, I keep trying to post photos but does anyone know how to rotate them? They all show up correctly on my computer, but are sideways when I try to insert them in my post!

Good morning everyone! We are officially home from our DCL British Isles cruise! We had an amazing trip and I feel like there is so much to mention. I'll try my best, but if anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to ask! I won't go day by day or anything, but will try to review and compare different aspects of the actual cruise itself and talk about the ports.

I will start off by saying, this cruise was completely different than your "normal" Caribbean sailing. I mean I was packing jeans and sweatshirts and leggings vs. swimsuits and shorts. The crowd was older and more subdued and we saw few children. I imagine it would be similar to an Alaskan cruise. We expected all this and were fine with it.

It was also our first cruise where the actual ship came second. Usually the ship plays a big role in what actual cruise we end up choosing. Ports are important, don't get me wrong, but the actual ship is super important to us because we spend a lot of time on it! In this case, it was basically just using the ship as a means to get from Port A to Port B. And all the ports were awesome! DH & I agreed that we needed at least another day in each of them. I think this cruise needed to be a 9 or 10 day for sure. Overnights in each of the ports would have been a real selling point for this voyage.

Ok, so the ports themselves:

Dublin - We DEFINITELY needed another day here. I booked tickets for a Hop On-Hop Off bus and tickets to the EPIC Irish Emigration Museum. Both were worth it. Dublin is a really neat city, but it is so bustling and so much traffic in such a small space. Just getting around the city took a lot of time. We also shopped on Grafton Street and found an awesome Irish pub (which was a priority!) for drinks and lunch. If we had had another day, we would have gotten out to the countryside for sure.

Belfast - I'm ashamed to say I didn't know really anything about this country before visiting. It was another bustling city with so much history. We also did a HOHO bus here and also booked tickets for the Crumlin Road Gaol and the Titanic Museum. I highly recommend the HOHO and both of these attractions, especially the Titanic Museum. It covers more of the actual construction of the ship and the berth where it was built is still there. Amazing place. Looking at the itinerary for next year, I see Belfast isn't on it, which I find unfortunate. We had a great time here.

Greenock, Scotland - We booked a 3rd party tour here, through Discover Scotland Tours, and it turned out to be a great decision. We had a small bus of only 16 people and were driven out through the Highlands, saw numerous lochs and castles, had lunch at a pub/inn that you literally picture in your mind when you think of Scotland, and had a great tour guide. It was a full day excursion and we paid about $100 for 2 of us. DCL offered a similar excursion and I believe it was $150 per person. So that was a win. We got some of the best photos on this tour and it was nice to get out of the city!

Liverpool - Home of the Beatles! We actually did an escape room here! (DH & I love escape rooms!) What was great about this port was we could literally walk off the ship into the city. No buses or transfers needed. It was very welcome after the other ports. We had a leisurely day here. The waterfront where we were had tons of shops, museums, and restaurants to enjoy and it was a little more low key than our other days.

So onto the ship itself:

Stateroom - We had a deluxe Oceanview on deck 2 midship. We loved the location of our room, it was so convenient, especially since the Magic isn't that large or hard to get around. DH & I decided we do like the DCL staterooms over Carnival. The porthole window was huge, decor is so cute, the bed was very comfortable, and you just can't beat the split bathrooms. The only thing I can nitpick about was the lack of shelving/drawer space. The closet needed some shelving because I don't like hanging everything up. And we had maybe 2 deep drawers? The others were very small and shallow. Oh and the hairdryer was hopeless. The most underpowered thing ever. :laughing:

Food/Dining - I have mixed feelings about set dining times now. On one hand, we loved having the same dining team with us every night. And getting to experience the theming and different restaurants is wonderful. On the other hand, it's inconvenient. The early dining time was 6PM, which was too early, so we had late dining at 8:30, which was actually pretty late. I don't think we made it out of dinner until 10:30PM every single night, which in turn, cut into the 1 or 2 evening adult activities we wanted to do. So we decided we really enjoy anytime or freestyle dining because it fits our way of eating much more.

We had dinner in the dining rooms every night except on Frozen night. The menu just did not look appetizing that night and we heard from people who had eaten, that it wasn't that great. However, every meal we had in the dining rooms was great. Really no complaints here.

Cabanas on the other hand....it was meh. Breakfast left a lot to be desired. Eggs had zero flavor, Mickey waffles were dry and rather hard, fruit was mushy, etc. We ended up only eating breakfast 2 or 3 times.

I was a little annoyed on embarkation day because we were late to board. The previous sailing had run into some issues with disembarking so everything was running behind. We knew something was up because we had taken DCL transport from Heathrow airport thinking when we arrived at the port at 1:30 PM, we could walk right on. Instead, we arrived to a huge line stretching outside the terminal. We didn't get to even board the ship until almost 3PM. So we dropped our bags off and got up to Cabanas as fast as we could thinking we'll just grab something quick...and it was already closed up. I understand that they still have to get ready for dinner, but under the circumstances, maybe an exception should have been made? Every other day, lunch was only served until 2PM, which seemed so early to me, especially with the late dinner not until 8:30. It also didn't open again until 6:30 for dinner. It was actually closed off to guests during the "down" time, which I found strange because the Carnival lido deck buffets are still open to guests at all times. Yes, the grill and deli and pizza are still open outside until 6PM, but when it's 60 degrees outside did they not think maybe guests just want to use a table inside instead of on deck? Just a thought! So unfortunately, Cabanas gets an overall thumbs down from me.

We did not get a chance to order room service and I wish I would have. Just not time.

To be continued! Also, I keep trying to post photos but does anyone know how to rotate them? They all show up correctly on my computer, but are sideways when I try to insert them in my post!
I can hardly wait to hear more, sounds like it’s going to be a good review.

Belle032, can't wait to hear more about your trip. I would love to try an escape room. I haven't been on the Magic since 2001. But we always stay in the same type of cabin when we sail on the Wonder. Did your cabin not have a large unit with drawers across from your bed, next to the desk? The cabins on the Wonder have it, I use a ton of drawers so I like it. That's one thing I miss about the Fantasy deck 2 cabins because they don't have it. The Fantasy does have some drawers next to the closet, but not enough for us. Did you have a hairdryer in your desk? Those are usually great. The ones in the bathroom are horrible. I don't know why they don't get rid of them. If the Magic only has the bathroom ones. I'll have to bring mine. Sounds like you all did some great excursions. I don't know how to do photos, hopefully someone can help you.

DCL Magic - British Isles! Continued!

Entertainment – Overall, it was good. This is where I think you really have to determine what is right for you and your family on a cruise.

The stage shows were wonderful. We saw Tangled & Disney Dreams, missed Twice Charmed. Both shows were extremely well done. Top notch acting, singing, costumes, stage sets, etc. I expected nothing less. Tangled could easily have been a show in Hollywood Studios, it was great. However, Disney Dreams was kind of like Believe. It was cute and had a great message, but a one and done for us.

Character meet & greets were abundant and lines never got too crazy. The lobby was closed off one afternoon for the Princess meet (free, but ticketed) and it was almost empty. They started letting “regular” people in I believe, which was nice.

Adult activities were pretty limited during the day. I honestly saw trivia & bingo. Oh, we did attend the DVC presentation on the 2nd sea day, just because we were curious and I did go to the Officer Pin Trading. On a Caribbean cruise, this wouldn’t affect us much because we would be in the pools or on deck most of the day, however, on this cruise where you spend the majority of time inside, it felt a little lacking. We did do a bunch of trivia, but that was mostly because of the other couples we met and ended up hanging out with quite a bunch. So, we had fun doing it for sure, but if it was just the 2 of us, not so much. There were small stretches of time where we did get a little bored. DH missed having a casino as he likes dropping in and going through $20 or so, but I didn’t mind it at all.

The adult evening entertainment was much better and we had a great time at the various activities, but except for a Club DJ, it was over at 11PM. This really didn’t matter on this particular cruise, because we were so tired every night, but I can see on a Caribbean cruise, we would be a little disappointed. We do enjoy the late-night activities for the most part.

Variety acts were pretty good. We enjoyed the ventriloquist/comedian the most. We actually saw him twice, both an adult and family show. They also had Junk, DNA (a mind reading duo from Britain’s Got Talent), and an Irish singing group.

Public Spaces – The ship is beautiful and very clean, no debate here. And it was pretty easy to get around once you got your bearings. It did feel smaller compared to other ships we’ve been on, but I don’t consider that a negative at all. I really liked how the shops are laid out and how you can go from one to the other. DH missed the towering atrium that is attributed to Carnival, but you aren’t going to find that anywhere else anyway.

Dining rooms are wonderful, the theming is second to none and I know you wouldn’t find that anywhere else.

Theaters are a little small and we didn’t really enjoy the “old timey” theater seats, especially DH who is 6’3! I very much prefer the wide benches and tables in the Carnival theaters.

Adult spaces were very nice and we spent almost every evening in them. I appreciate that they keep them adult only for sure. Love the concept for O’Gills, but it feels a little tired and in need of a refresh and Fathoms just needed to be larger! It was standing room only for a lot of adult activities. Piano bar was really pretty, but really smelled like smoke and we didn’t spend time here.

The adult pool was a great space and I could see us spending lots of time here on a warmer weather cruise. Hot tubs were way too small though! Cove Café was awesome, had great coffees and little appetizers. DH found out that you could get larger beers here for the same price as the smaller sizes offered everywhere else on the ship. It was like the Disney Beer mug deal without actually buying the deal. I think we were paying $6 for a 21 oz, where everywhere else it was $6 for a 16 oz. This was confirmed by the other couples we were with. (Just a helpful tip for any beer drinkers out there!) One downside, that I know I’m probably in the minority on, was that you couldn’t have drinks in the pool or hot tubs. Someone had a bottle of water on the side of the hot tub one day and were made to remove it. We do like to have a cocktail or other drink while we’re relaxing in the water on Carnival and I’ve never encountered anyone abusing it or anything, but again, I understand why Disney doesn’t allow it.

Service – Top notch, as expected. Amazing dining team and room steward and we did tip them extra at the end of the cruise. No complaints about the service whatsoever. I will say, however, we have never experienced bad service on any cruise line. We appreciate all the crew members no matter what line we sail.

Our Club Host, Tony, was awesome! So fun and we're glad we had him! The Cruise Director was Terry (maybe?) and he seemed nice, but you didn't see him around at all. It wasn't like Carnival where the Cruise Director is EVERYWHERE. I can see why the Club Host play a much bigger part in your cruise experience.

Other Passengers – We met some great people on this cruise. Our dining mates were great, as were the 2 other couples we actually met standing in line on embarkation day. We hung out with them almost every evening and actually spent a day in London with one couple after the cruise. Overall, everyone seemed generally nice, friendly, and happy to be there.

But there was one negative that I have to mention. When talking to someone, the topic of “is this your first cruise?” inevitably came up. And we would say well it’s our first Disney cruise, but we do cruise pretty extensively. And I’m not kidding, 99% of the time, the response would be some variation of “Oh but this is much better, right?” or “You won’t go back to any other cruise lines after this, right? Nothing can come close to this!” And while I did just respond with “Well, we’re having a great time, but actually we really enjoy cruising other lines as well…” it got to the point where I wanted to yell “Stop looking down on us because we don’t exclusively cruise on Disney ships!” It happened enough where I got annoyed of having to defend our decision to cruise other lines. It’s never happened to us before. So, this may have been out of the ordinary, or because over 75% of the passengers were repeat Disney cruisers. Don’t know, but it did rub us the wrong way.

Overall – We had a wonderful time. We met some great people, ate great food, and made great memories. The ports were the selling point of this cruise and that’s the main reason why we chose it. Again, the ship itself was secondary. I would book this itinerary again if it was longer. We just needed some more time! Looking at the British Isles itinerary for 2020, I see it’s still 7 days, but they added another port. While it still looks fun, we (and the couples we were with) thought that it was too many ports crammed into too many days. This cruise would be best as a 9 or 10 day.

DH & I both determined that while we had a wonderful time, DCL is probably not our first choice for sailing the Bahamas or Caribbean. And that’s fine. However, for a “specialty” cruise like Europe or the Mediterranean or even Alaska? I would consider DCL for sure. But we cannot justify the price for what we are looking for in our “normal” cruise experience. We like beverage packages and adult comedians and anytime dining and late-night entertainment and bars that are open past midnight. While DCL doesn’t offer that for us, they offer a lot to people who are looking for a great Disney/Family focused experience. We love Disney World, so that’s where our Disney dollars will be spent in the future (planning a trip for Fall 2020!) But no cruise line is better than another. All that matters is the cruise that’s right for YOU.

I think that about covers it! If you have any questions, please please please ask!

Last edited:
Belle032, can't wait to hear more about your trip. I would love to try an escape room. I haven't been on the Magic since 2001. But we always stay in the same type of cabin when we sail on the Wonder. Did your cabin not have a large unit with drawers across from your bed, next to the desk? The cabins on the Wonder have it, I use a ton of drawers so I like it. That's one thing I miss about the Fantasy deck 2 cabins because they don't have it. The Fantasy does have some drawers next to the closet, but not enough for us. Did you have a hairdryer in your desk? Those are usually great. The ones in the bathroom are horrible. I don't know why they don't get rid of them. If the Magic only has the bathroom ones. I'll have to bring mine. Sounds like you all did some great excursions. I don't know how to do photos, hopefully someone can help you.

There was a small unit next to the closet with one deep drawer and maybe 2 other shallow drawers? The storage issue wasn't enough to complain about really, I think I was just looking for some shelves in the closet! :laughing: There was a hairdryer in the desk and one in the bathroom. Both were pretty useless. But I also have long, thick hair! If a good hairdryer is important to you, I'd maybe bring your own. It wasn't a big deal to me, I don't dry my hair often, especially on warm weather cruises, but it was a definite observation!

I think we had Junk on one of our cruises, but not sure. Did they play music with different items and do some break dancing(I remember a guy spinning on his head) 3 or 4 guys maybe? Kinda like the Bucket and Boards?

I think we had Junk on one of our cruises, but not sure. Did they play music with different items and do some break dancing(I remember a guy spinning on his head) 3 or 4 guys maybe? Kinda like the Bucket and Boards?

Yes, that's exactly what it was. They were fun & entertaining, but I think they would be another one and done type thing!

I don’t know if we’ll keep it for sure but deposit is only $50/person so we had to book it. Now it’s time to research Norwegian and figure out the way they do things. For only $7500 for 4 people in 2 inside cabins, it’s a no brained to book and research. https://www.ncl.com/cruises/9-day-s...40&itineraryCode=ESCAPE9CPHWARTLLLEDHELNYNCPH
You did it! That is so awesome. I will certainly follow a detailed report if you do one.

I am still anxiously awaiting a Carnival announcement for British Isles. NCL seems to only do that itinerary at the shoulder season and RCCL only does 1 or 2 from Amsterdam. Neither of those scenarios fits our time frame or where we want to go. Our only other option would be shoving 4 of us into an Inside or OV on Princess. They are too expensive for my budget for anything else so I really need Carnival to come through!

My mom/daughter cruise is coming up in 11 days! Very excited to get away for a bit of RnR.

You did it! That is so awesome. I will certainly follow a detailed report if you do one.

I am still anxiously awaiting a Carnival announcement for British Isles. NCL seems to only do that itinerary at the shoulder season and RCCL only does 1 or 2 from Amsterdam. Neither of those scenarios fits our time frame or where we want to go. Our only other option would be shoving 4 of us into an Inside or OV on Princess. They are too expensive for my budget for anything else so I really need Carnival to come through!

My mom/daughter cruise is coming up in 11 days! Very excited to get away for a bit of RnR.

That Carnival Legend cruise that's going to Iceland and I think Ireland/Scotland (correct me if I'm wrong!) sold out in days. I'm really hoping they'll see a new market here and offer more similar cruises to answer the demand! That itinerary looks amazing and it makes me hopeful for the future!

Did you get the fly free offer? Or is that only domestic?
I started researching some fights and it looks like we can fly Norwegian Air for about $1100 each, so I’ll just book it on my own.

I also just read that if we book excursions in Russia through NCL, we don’t need a tourist visa, but if we book on our own or just want to get off the ship and explore on our own we’ll need to apply for tourist Visas. Kind of bummed about that because we overnight there so are in port for about 32 hours.

I don’t know if we’ll keep it for sure but deposit is only $50/person so we had to book it. Now it’s time to research Norwegian and figure out the way they do things. For only $7500 for 4 people in 2 inside cabins, it’s a no brained to book and research. https://www.ncl.com/cruises/9-day-s...40&itineraryCode=ESCAPE9CPHWARTLLLEDHELNYNCPH
We have the 7 night booked on the Magic for August 2020, but are seriously considering jumping ship (as it were) to NCL and the Escape for the same itinerary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter