CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely see all of the shows!! So good!! Also, don’t miss going to the Alchemy Bar. It’s hard to find a seat but worth the wait. Also, the piano bar is a blast! If Lady Red is still playing in there when you go then she’s a must see! Also, I recommend attending Groove for St. Jude. It’s a deck party on sea day where you can buy St. Jude shirts for $10 and a St. Jude Build-a-Bear (already built) for $25. ALL of the proceeds go directly to St. Judes which is AWESOME!! We didn’t do specialty dining this cruise, but the MDR was great!! We had Your Time Dining and would go at 6 and they put on a dance show around 7 which is a must see!! If you happen to have Your Time Dining, I recommend you ask for Kristi from Indonesia as your server. Phuong from Vietnam was her assistant. We requested them nightly and they were amazing! Definitely better service than I’ve had the last few years on Disney. Also, the pool deck seemed to be hit or miss as far as loungers go. Try Blue Iguana Cantina for breakfast (they have amazing breakfast burritos!) Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks!

Do you have to do anything to be able to see the shows? Are they shown 2 x a night?

We do have Your Time Dining. See, I knew you would help! Thank you for the suggestions for servers. I haven't read anything about the dance show.

I had read about the Alchemy Bar and good to know it's something we should do, but I hadn't heard about the piano bar. We will definitely check that out.

My daughter and her friend are 30, so is there a good place to go late at night? I'm thinking they will like some music and dancing, while I will most likely go back to the cabin.

Did you try Guys?
Did you try Blue Iguana Cantina for lunch?

I have just booked a short Liberty cruise! I couldn't be more excited to read your post today!

I will be traveling with my adult daughter and a friend of hers in 2 weeks. Last minute!!! I don't have a lot of time to do my usual research and the 4 nights is not long enough for trial and error. I would be interested in hearing about anything you would suggest we do and anything you would suggest we don't bother with.

Should we see the shows?
Should we eat in the MDR or stick with the extra dining venues?
What about the pools? Any trouble finding a place to sit there or should we just head to the Serenity area?

I'm Platinum on DCL but I have cruised several other cruise lines through the years and I agree that you can absolutely have more fun and find more value while saving money at the same time. There is too much to see and too many adventures in the world to limit oneself to a Disney itinerary and the repetitive experience IMO.

I have done a review with pictures from April 2019 if you are interested!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...ussion-and-comparison-thread.3540991/page-178

Liberty was my ship on my last Carnival cruise. I can't wait to hear your impressions and what you liked/disliked. :)

I’ll say that for the most part I LOVED it!! My only concern was the muster drills that couldn’t be heard nor was there a crew member within sight to demonstrate. I’ve emailed Carnival concerning this. Clearly, the upkeep of the ship isn’t like DCL and I would have loved clear windows at the lido buffet to take pics out of. Also, there was a mysterious lack of trash cans throughout the ship other than in the staterooms and public restrooms 🤔 Everything else I LOVED, from shows, to food, to the hairy chest contest to Alchemy bar!! Oh, and dining room service blew away Disney’s!

I have just booked a short Liberty cruise! I couldn't be more excited to read your post today!

I will be traveling with my adult daughter and a friend of hers in 2 weeks. Last minute!!! I don't have a lot of time to do my usual research and the 4 nights is not long enough for trial and error. I would be interested in hearing about anything you would suggest we do and anything you would suggest we don't bother with.

Should we see the shows?
What about the pools? Any trouble finding a place to sit there or should we just head to the Serenity area?

I'm Platinum on DCL but I have cruised several other cruise lines through the years and I agree that you can absolutely have more fun and find more value while saving money at the same time. There is too much to see and too many adventures in the world to limit oneself to a Disney itinerary and the repetitive experience IMO.

The comedy shows and the musical revues are great! Do not miss them.

I recommend to stick to the adult pool in the back (aft) of the ship. It's really quiet over there.

MDR is good but the choice of included dining counters is excellent. If you don't might paying extra, I really recommend the Steakhouse.

Thanks!

Do you have to do anything to be able to see the shows? Are they shown 2 x a night?

We do have Your Time Dining. See, I knew you would help! Thank you for the suggestions for servers. I haven't read anything about the dance show.

I had read about the Alchemy Bar and good to know it's something we should do, but I hadn't heard about the piano bar. We will definitely check that out.

My daughter and her friend are 30, so is there a good place to go late at night? I'm thinking they will like some music and dancing, while I will most likely go back to the cabin.

Did you try Guys?
Did you try Blue Iguana Cantina for lunch?

You just have to show up to the shows, I recommend 15-20 minutes if you want to secure a good spot.

I agree that Alchemy Bar is nice.

Blue Iguana for lunch is awesome. They make all the tortillas on the spot and there's a condiment bar where you can add whatever you like to your dish.

Guy's Burgers are the best burgers I've had at sea.

Same for the pizza (it's fresh made and absolutely delicious!)

What are your stops?

Nassau and Half Moon Cay.

I've been to Nassau many, many times so I'm letting the girls decide what they want to do.

It was my first time to HMC and I was so excited to be there. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't nice and my husband and I just tendered over, had a drink at the I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever bar and tendered back. So, I'm hoping we can have a nice beach day in a few weeks.

The seas and weather on that cruise were the worst I've seen in 40 years of cruising. We had huge swells every day, except one.

I find Carnival lacks garbage cans on all their ships, it was strange.

I love Guys Burgers, I wish we could eat there every day but there are so many other things to eat we usually only get to them a couple times. Blue Iguana is also great, they have a taco bowl at lunch time, mmm. Both have toppings bars and they have everything you could want. The pizza is good as well, and I believe that's 24 hours, so a nice snack late at night.

@mevelandry , I've read your review and I have some questions.

Your preferred the buffet on DCL, so should we go somewhere else for breakfast on Liberty?

I'm bummed to read about the Trivia. Was it sports every time?

Sorry to hear your Elegant Night. I would have been upset too!

Can you tell me a little bit more about Elegant Night on Liberty is like? Do most people participate? Do you really stick out if you don't? The girls aren't going to have anything to wear if people are very fancy. These girls are well educated, but not well compensated and have no need for elegant clothes.

I think I remember reading that you have been to HMC. Do you have any suggestions for the beach day?

Should we see the shows?

We leave on the Conquest this Saturday for the second time and really like this class of ship. I believe the Conquest and Liberty (along with the Freedom & Glory) are all sister ships. Good size and I think an "easy" layout.

We spend a lot of time in the aft pool that was adults only (and enforced!) last time so I hope it's still the same. We see the comedians pretty much every night and enjoy the stage shows and extra shows, like the Love & Marriage one.

Food: Like others have said, I highly recommend Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina. Blue Iguana is also great for breakfast! You can also try the Sea Day Brunch in the dining room. And I found the 24 hour pizza to be much better than DCL.

If you like a cocktail or two, definitely check out Alchemy Bar. Really unique drinks and the bartenders will create a drink based on your taste. Really cool bar.

And one of my favorite "chill" things is to watch a movie on the deck. Love laying in the loungers at night and watching a movie. And the popcorn is free!

My first cruise on Liberty we didn't eat breakfast at the buffet even once, we did the sea day brunch whenever offered and ate in the dining room for breakfast the other days. It always seemed faster.

The breakfast burritos at Blue Iguana Cantina are a must do. We did them twice, buffet once which hubby liked because they had real eggs benedict cooked properly and an omelette station and then did the Dr. Seuss breakfast which was so much fun!!

The breakfast burritos at Blue Iguana Cantina are a must do. We did them twice, buffet once which hubby liked because they had real eggs benedict cooked properly and an omelette station and then did the Dr. Seuss breakfast which was so much fun!!

Yes! They are SO good. Full confession: I might like Blue Iguana better the Guy's Burgers *gasp!* If they just had some darn tortilla chips I definitely would.

And the huevos ranchos at the Sea Day brunch is the best breakfast item on board. My opinion!

Everyone!!!! Thanks, this is all just what I wanted to know. You've all been so helpful! My last Carnival cruise was when this daughter was 6!! I would normally read pages and pages of trip reports here and on a couple of other sites, but I just don't have the time to do that before we leave.

If they just had some darn tortilla chips I would.

Oh, no! Do they have salsa or guacamole? Can I bring my own chips?

And one of my favorite "chill" things is to watch a movie on the deck. Love laying in the loungers at night and watching a movie. And the popcorn is free!

This is one of my favorites too! Can I find out in advance what movies will be shown?

Yes! They are SO good. Full confession: I might like Blue Iguana better the Guy's Burgers *gasp!* If they just had some darn tortilla chips I definitely would.

And the huevos ranchos at the Sea Day brunch is the best breakfast item on board. My opinion!

Steak and eggs at sea day brunch is amazing... I think the message is, go to the sea day brunch :)

Do you follow the days activities on the Carnival app or do they print something?

I am not sure if they do print it any more, they did the last time I cruised (which was far too long ago in April 2018) however the app is great and I believe they have even added the kids schedules to it now as well.

This is one of my favorites too! Can I find out in advance what movies will be shown?

You can see what movies will be shown on the ships, I'll have to search at home for the link (it may be to John Heald's facebook page). I am not sure it would give you the exact schedule of which movie is on which night though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter