CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone!!!! Thanks, this is all just what I wanted to know. You've all been so helpful! My last Carnival cruise was when this daughter was 6!! I would normally read pages and pages of trip reports here and on a couple of other sites, but I just don't have the time to do that before we leave.

Oh, no! Do they have salsa or guacamole? Can I bring my own chips?

They have a full toppings and salsa bar and I *think* guacamole somewhere. I'm not 100% because I don't actually like it!

Everyone!!!! Thanks, this is all just what I wanted to know. You've all been so helpful! My last Carnival cruise was when this daughter was 6!! I would normally read pages and pages of trip reports here and on a couple of other sites, but I just don't have the time to do that before we leave.

Oh, no! Do they have salsa or guacamole? Can I bring my own chips?

I believe they have salsa and guacamole for toppings and I’m sure you could bring your own chips! I bet you could just ask them for the taco bowl and break that into your own chips 🤔

Do you follow the days activities on the Carnival app or do they print something?

I personally just used the apps and it sends you reminders for things that you marked that you liked. Our room steward would also leave a paper copy of Fun Times in our room or you can pick one up in front of guest services. You can also view your updated shipboard account on the app. The pizza is much better than DCL’s, but they’re making it fresh 24/7. It’s thin crust. Not all of room service is free. Continental breakfast is and they have a free section of simple sandwiches from 10 am til 6pm I believe, but after 6 everything costs money. We never ordered anything simply because there was enough food to keep us full and if I was hungry late at night I’d run up and get some pizza. We also didn’t have the Cheers package or soda package (we did get my daughter the soda package) and hubby and I were fine. We’re not huge drinkers so it didn’t make financial sense and the free lemonade was good onboard and I drank water the rest of the time. You can even get a 12 pack of bottled water delivered to your room for less than $5 😱

I'm reading about Faster to the Fun, which looks to be sold out on my cruise. Is that going to be a problem for us, especially because we will tender at HMC?

I'm reading about Faster to the Fun, which looks to be sold out on my cruise. Is that going to be a problem for us, especially because we will tender at HMC?

Our cruise was booked last minute too and we weren’t able to get FTTF until right before the cruise. I’d keep checking to see if it pops up. One guy in my cruise group was only checking on the Carnival site for it. The way I got it was going through the app to the site that way and it worked. He couldn’t believe it. So maybe try that way and see if it shows up.

I have cruised with and without FTTF, I don't really see the benefit to be honest. The port we tendered at we got a ticket for our group to get off but it was fairly early as we were there early, I guess if you waited it would be a longer time to get off? It would help with checking in, and your room is supposed to be ready when you board, but even that I am so used to carrying my little bag around before the cabins are available that it seems unnecessary. Getting off the ship, we do self debark so just take our bags off ourselves, I guess if you had an early flight and wanted to have them take your bags it would be handy then. However, the time I bought it, it was $50 for the two of us on a 7-night cruise and I believe it has gone way up since then.

I have cruised with and without FTTF, I don't really see the benefit to be honest. The port we tendered at we got a ticket for our group to get off but it was fairly early as we were there early, I guess if you waited it would be a longer time to get off? It would help with checking in, and your room is supposed to be ready when you board, but even that I am so used to carrying my little bag around before the cabins are available that it seems unnecessary. Getting off the ship, we do self debark so just take our bags off ourselves, I guess if you had an early flight and wanted to have them take your bags it would be handy then. However, the time I bought it, it was $50 for the two of us on a 7-night cruise and I believe it has gone way up since then.

I agree with you, as far as my situation, too. My carry on is no big deal and we will self debark too.

My main concern was with tendering. If getting there early to get a ticket will help with that problem, I will be all good. Can I go get a ticket for my group or does everyone have to be there to get the ticket?

Last edited:

You can see what movies will be shown on the ships, I'll have to search at home for the link (it may be to John Heald's facebook page). I am not sure it would give you the exact schedule of which movie is on which night though.

Yes, that's exactly where it is. I found a post where someone said its posted the 15th of every month.

Last edited:
Yes, that's exactly where it is. I found a post where someone said its posted the 15th of every month.

I know this has nothing to do with this last thing you posted, but know that they don’t have straws on the ship other than edible ones for frozen type drinks. So if you want, bring your own or they sell reusable ones on the ship 😊

Hi!

I did not know we needed reservations for shows and go karts. I will pay attention to that.

Apparently, we have Footloose on our cruise... I loved Jersey Boys (on Broadway) so much that I saw it twice. I'm almost sad it's not on our cruise since we're all huge Franki Valli and The Four Seasons fans.

So with freestyle dining, you eat whenever you want (walk-in)? Do you need reservations for Specialty Dining? Since we'll have an overnight in Bermuda, I'm thinking there are strong chances we might eat over there so I'm not sure we'll take the SD package + My husband loves the idea of the drink package.

Just checked my TripIt to refresh my memory. I made the specialty dining reservations ahead of time online. The headliner show reservations were also online. What I was remembering about show reservations on the touch screen was for the comedy show. If you look at your cruise reservation online, under Entertainment, if you see "too early too book", those are the ones you'll be able to book online. Checked my old e-mails and I made the show reservations 4 months ahead.

We tend to eat early, I think most of the time we went around 6 to the main dining rooms. Never really had to wait. Just checked in first (they scan your cruise card) and was seated.

How many nights would you eat on Bermuda? A 7 night cruise comes with 3 nights specialty dining. We paid $13.80 gratuities/person. I wasn't impressed with the main dining room food, so less than $5 each for specialty dining was totally worth it for me. We did teppanyaki (yummy and fun), Le Bistro (my favorite), and the steakhouse. The steakhouse is really popular, but it was just okay for me (maybe an off night). I would have picked Ocean Blue, but there was an upcharge when using the package that made it seem not so worth it. I think they might have gotten rid of that though.

And one of my favorite "chill" things is to watch a movie on the deck. Love laying in the loungers at night and watching a movie. And the popcorn is free!

We loved this too on Carnival. And it's great that they show fairly new movies. On NCL last year, we watched Hotel Transylvania 2 one afternoon in the theater. It's from 2015. 🙄 Free popcorn though. DCL may be the only line that charges for popcorn, lol.

I agree with you, as far as my situation, too. My carry on is no big deal and we will self debark too.

My main concern was with tendering. If getting there early to get a ticket will help with that problem, I will be all good. Can I go get a ticket for my group or does everyone have to be there to get the ticket?

We didn't have to wait very long and I travel with my son so he was with me when I went to get the tickets, I think it was a sticker with the number on it? We had to wear the sticker to get on the tender. We got there and were on the first tender. They had one for those without a ship excursion or anything, and then a separate one for those with (so they didn't need a sticker to get off). I believe we were number 7. Also, it will depend a bit on the ship you are on, how many people are on board. We were on the Magic at Belize, the tenders hold quite a few people. We have tendered on RCL (Freedom of the Seas in Grand Cayman and Majesty of the Seas in Coco Cay before the dock) and never had a problem on those trips either, Once the rush clears the ship, you can come and go as you please and shouldn't have to wait in a line, so it depends on your plans for the day.

Wow! This post has been busy the last couple days. Just to chime in on a couple things earlier that y’all have been posting.

We rarely eat Lido buffet for breakfast, mostly MDR, especially the Sea Day Brunch. The steak and eggs is awesome! We definitely do Blue Iguana for breakfast and Carnival is also rolling out breakfast at Guy’s. I don’t know if it’s started yet and on what ships, but be sure to ask someone about it.

Blue Iguana does have guacamole and they will give you a tortilla shell if you ask for one. The only problem is it’s a flour tortilla not corn so it’s not great for chips and salsa. We sometimes bring a bag of tortilla chips for the salsa bar in the afternoon. Be sure to try the fish and/or shrimp tacos, they rock.

I think the pizza on Carnival is way better than DCL. Also, the deli has some good sandwiches, if they have the sea salt double chocolate chip cookies, be sure to get some, they’re mighty tasty. Also, I don’t know if they do it on all ships, but late at night when only the pizza place is open for food, they’ve served meatball subs and chicken Parmesan sandwiches, this at was on Vista.

Enjoy the cruise and remember, just go in with an open mind, it’s not gonna be Disney. I really hope we haven’t all set too high of expectations for you. Personally, I just have way more fun on Carnival, but I will admit Disney is a much more refined experience.

Have fun!!!

Nassau and Half Moon Cay.

I've been to Nassau many, many times so I'm letting the girls decide what they want to do.

It was my first time to HMC and I was so excited to be there. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't nice and my husband and I just tendered over, had a drink at the I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever bar and tendered back. So, I'm hoping we can have a nice beach day in a few weeks.

The seas and weather on that cruise were the worst I've seen in 40 years of cruising. We had huge swells every day, except one.

HMC is heaven when the weather is good.

@mevelandry , I've read your review and I have some questions.

Your preferred the buffet on DCL, so should we go somewhere else for breakfast on Liberty?

I'm bummed to read about the Trivia. Was it sports every time?

Sorry to hear your Elegant Night. I would have been upset too!

Can you tell me a little bit more about Elegant Night on Liberty is like? Do most people participate? Do you really stick out if you don't? The girls aren't going to have anything to wear if people are very fancy. These girls are well educated, but not well compensated and have no need for elegant clothes.

I think I remember reading that you have been to HMC. Do you have any suggestions for the beach day?

It's very personal but I was not a fan of the breakfast buffet on Carnival (Other meals are better). The breakfast is much much better in the dining room (they call it Port Days Breakfast and don't miss the sea day brunch if you have a sea day during your cruise). Blue Iguana has nice options too. I hear Guy's burgers now has breakfast too but I didn't have the chance to try it yet.

Trivia vary per cruises. I've had plenty of trivia not relating to sports on Carnival. Check in your Fun Times. I hope you'll het lucky.

I think as long as you dress clean, you'll be fine. When it comes to the dress I was wearing for elegant night, I ordered from Vici Dolls (online), they have dresses that look quite chic for low prices.

We haven't done anything special on HMC other than swimming and sitting on the "free" chairs since it was just my husband and I. But it was really lovely there.

In general, I'm a big fan of cabanas. I tend to rent one if they are under 300$ USD and I am travelling with other people.

You'll most likely get to tender (unless they built the pier already?) I'd recommend to go get a tendering ticket as soon as you can so you can get off the ship early. Otherwise, the line gets long.

Yes! They are SO good. Full confession: I might like Blue Iguana better the Guy's Burgers *gasp!* If they just had some darn tortilla chips I definitely would.

And the huevos ranchos at the Sea Day brunch is the best breakfast item on board. My opinion!

Agree with everything you said but would add the filet mignon steak and eggs at sea day brunch as well.

If you get a ticket to tender early you won't have any problems.

Just checked my TripIt to refresh my memory. I made the specialty dining reservations ahead of time online. The headliner show reservations were also online. What I was remembering about show reservations on the touch screen was for the comedy show. If you look at your cruise reservation online, under Entertainment, if you see "too early too book", those are the ones you'll be able to book online. Checked my old e-mails and I made the show reservations 4 months ahead.

We tend to eat early, I think most of the time we went around 6 to the main dining rooms. Never really had to wait. Just checked in first (they scan your cruise card) and was seated.

How many nights would you eat on Bermuda? A 7 night cruise comes with 3 nights specialty dining. We paid $13.80 gratuities/person. I wasn't impressed with the main dining room food, so less than $5 each for specialty dining was totally worth it for me. We did teppanyaki (yummy and fun), Le Bistro (my favorite), and the steakhouse. The steakhouse is really popular, but it was just okay for me (maybe an off night). I would have picked Ocean Blue, but there was an upcharge when using the package that made it seem not so worth it. I think they might have gotten rid of that though.

We loved this too on Carnival. And it's great that they show fairly new movies. On NCL last year, we watched Hotel Transylvania 2 one afternoon in the theater. It's from 2015. 🙄 Free popcorn though. DCL may be the only line that charges for popcorn, lol.

It's a 5 nights cruise with 2 days (an overnight) in Bermuda. :)

I'm very interested the the specialty dining option but it will depend on the prices.

I can't wait to try Norwegian and I know I'm gonna have a great time on my next RCCL cruise but this thread makes me miss Carnival a little bit.

I was hoping to sail with Carnival again in the Bermuda but I guess we will have to wait a little bit longer for another itinerary.

So far, after sailing with DCL, RCCL and Carnival, I love all three and they all have something special that I miss when I am on one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter