CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Carnival news, I have a question. Are those the ships that normally sail from those ports? Just wondering if they are or if they are using a lot of different ships and if so, why.

About the Carnival news, I have a question. Are those the ships that normally sail from those ports? Just wondering if they are or if they are using a lot of different ships and if so, why.

I can’t speak to the other ports, because we have have never looked at them, but those are the three ships that routinely sail out of Galveston.

I think they are pretty normal for the most part. The Horizon has been in Miami for sure. The Breeze sailing I was looking into in October was out of Ft. Lauderdale so I wonder if that itinerary would change.

Yes, the ships that are sailing are at their normal ports with their "current" itineraries. The Breeze moves to FLL in October and that was already planned. I am booked on Breeze in October (booked a year ago so way before any of this started) and we are unsure if we will still go. They are still booking my sailing so that tells me they aren't planning on reducing capacity. Final payment is early July so we will see how we feel at that time.

I believe those are the ships normally in those ports. Magic was to move to Miami from FLL (I think in May?). Breeze is due to move to FLL in October (I think Mardi Gras was to replace her but of course that's delayed now so not sure but I guess Port Canaveral will be a ship down). Horizon and Sensation have been in Miami for ages (I have a Horizon booked for December, fingers crossed!). Elation is out of Port Canaveral as well. Liberty is there as well but doesn't look to be starting in August. Maybe Radiance was to replace the Breeze? She's due there in November as well.

Interesting news, a slow restart which seems to make sense, and of course follows with the move to send their staff home.

Did the Mardi Gras do any cruises before all this started? If I remember correctly she was suppose to start in Jan(I think), but wasn't ready in time. I know some on here had their cruises cancelled when she wasn't ready. I would still love to sail on her someday. I didn't know if the Mardi Gras was completed before all this happened or not.

Did the Mardi Gras do any cruises before all this started? If I remember correctly she was suppose to start in Jan(I think), but wasn't ready in time. I know some on here had their cruises cancelled when she wasn't ready. I would still love to sail on her someday. I didn't know if the Mardi Gras was completed before all this happened or not.

Nov 14 2020 was the date. I'm not sure if it's been further delayed due to COVID.

Nov 14 2020 was the date. I'm not sure if it's been further delayed due to COVID.

Thanks. I didn't realize it was later this year, maybe it was Jan when the delayed was announced. Hopefully this horrible virus won't cause a longer delay for it. It looks like such a fun ship.

Thoughts on the Carnival news?

I appreciate just hearing a plan, even though I know it could change at any time. But seeing actual dates is heartening. I like the fact that not every ship in the fleet will immediately start sailing and that it looks like they are testing every class of ship before going all in.

We had planned on WDW this October, but that is looking less and less likely. DH & I don't know what WDW will actually look like even if they are open and if they open at different capacity levels, the logistics might not be worth it.

So I have my eye on either a Breeze or Horizon sailing over Halloween now that I know they "realistic" options.

Are you going to make a booking with Carnival, just in case?

It’s hard to plan anything in 2020 at this point.

My friends and I are trying to remain realistic. I heard similar chatter about RCCL. It sounds like there will be less ships than anticipated so who knows what will happen with our booking. (We have a Universal Orlando back-up plan but who knows...)

If WDW is open, I’m expecting a smaller capacity, higher prices, and I’m definitely expecting no parades and no fireworks.

Are you going to make a booking with Carnival, just in case?

It’s hard to plan anything in 2020 at this point.

My friends and I are trying to remain realistic. I heard similar chatter about RCCL. It sounds like there will be less ships than anticipated so who knows what will happen with our booking. (We have a Universal Orlando back-up plan but who knows...)

If WDW is open, I’m expecting a smaller capacity, higher prices, and I’m definitely expecting no parades and no fireworks.

Not yet, I'm still very hesitant to book anything anywhere at this point. I have our original flights to Florida booked since I jumped on the Southwest pricing on opening day, but those can be easily changed or cancelled. I should be booking WDW dining reservations and fastpasses right now, and technically I still can, but it's all just too much gray area. And with the WDW Senior VP coming out and saying they have no reopening date at this time, it seems pointless to try to book anything.

I think I'm trying to come to terms with the fact we may not vacation anywhere this year, which is really hard for me to admit, but I'm still holding out hope.

Not yet, I'm still very hesitant to book anything anywhere at this point. I have our original flights to Florida booked since I jumped on the Southwest pricing on opening day, but those can be easily changed or cancelled. I should be booking WDW dining reservations and fastpasses right now, and technically I still can, but it's all just too much gray area. And with the WDW Senior VP coming out and saying they have no reopening date at this time, it seems pointless to try to book anything.

I think I'm trying to come to terms with the fact we may not vacation anywhere this year, which is really hard for me to admit, but I'm still holding out hope.

Yeah, that’s the saddest part (that we might not be able to vacation anywhere.)... All plans are « maybe ».

My SIL & BIL's honeymoon cruise was just cancelled. Princess sailing to Alaska in August. I had a feeling it was coming when I saw Carnival was cancelling all Alaskan sailings through August.

Feel so sorry for them. First their June wedding and now their August honeymoon. I know they're not the only ones with affected plans, but still stinks. I think they're actually more bummed about the cruise, which honestly I think I would be too! :laughing:

Hopefully, they can reschedule, but with the Alaskan season being so short, it'll have to be for next year. And I'm not sure how Princess is handling refunds and rebookings.

Fingers crossed Carnival (and maybe some other lines!) can do a slow restart like they're planning in August so we can get a feel for how it's all going to go.

My SIL & BIL's honeymoon cruise was just cancelled. Princess sailing to Alaska in August. I had a feeling it was coming when I saw Carnival was cancelling all Alaskan sailings through August.

Feel so sorry for them. First their June wedding and now their August honeymoon. I know they're not the only ones with affected plans, but still stinks. I think they're actually more bummed about the cruise, which honestly I think I would be too! :laughing:

Hopefully, they can reschedule, but with the Alaskan season being so short, it'll have to be for next year. And I'm not sure how Princess is handling refunds and rebookings.

Fingers crossed Carnival (and maybe some other lines!) can do a slow restart like they're planning in August so we can get a feel for how it's all going to go.

That's sad! My dh and I did a Disney cruise on the Magic for our honeymoon. We did an Alaska one for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary several years ago, it was so fun and special. I would be a crying mess if this had happened when I got married. Columbus, Ohio has already cancelled the big July 4 fireworks celebration. I was surprised they canceled it already, makes me even more worried that all the pools and parks will stay closed most of the summer. It's going to be a long summer, it was in the 40s here yesterday, so it's hard to even think of swimming right now. Hugs to your BIL&SIL!!!

Hi!

I just wanted to take some time to ask how you are all doing.

Did anyone have to cancel plans?

On our side, as time goes by, I’m feeling our chances of doing the trip are pretty slim.

My friends also seem turned off by the idea that WDW/the cruise experience might be drastically changed with the implementation of new sanitary rules.

I’m in a « glass half full » place. I’ve said it many times but I’d cruise in a hazmat suit if I have to. I’d rather have a different cruise than no cruise at all.

We haven't had to cancel or change any vacation plans. Our last cruise was this past Jan. It was the Fantasy cruise that had to skip both GC and Jamaica due to weather--I don't feel bad about missing those ports like I did right after the cruise, at least we were able to cruise. Our next cruise is March 2021. I already wonder if and how it might be affected. I probably wouldn't want to go to WDW as soon as they open it. Mainly because I would want to wait to hear from others about what all was opened/closed. Hopefully there won't be any major outbreaks and they will be able to open more attractions by Fall. I guess it depends on how important the things that could be closed are to you. It would suck to have to pay the same amount and have a lot of stuff closed. Are they offering a discount? Ohio is very slowing opening back up. My dd and I are still staying home though and will continue to stay home for a lot longer(she has asthma). We have a big backyard with woods behind our house, so we can go out for walks without encountering others, thankfully. My dh has been going to work all this time. I just wish we could know if any of the parks/pools will be open this summer. If they stay closed we will just go to one of the lakes close by. Ocean water I'm fine with since I can see the fish. Lake water just icks me out, lol!!

Hi!

I just wanted to take some time to ask how you are all doing.

Did anyone have to cancel plans?

On our side, as time goes by, I’m feeling our chances of doing the trip are pretty slim.

My friends also seem turned off by the idea that WDW/the cruise experience might be drastically changed with the implementation of new sanitary rules.

I’m in a « glass half full » place. I’ve said it many times but I’d cruise in a hazmat suit if I have to. I’d rather have a different cruise than no cruise at all.
My family is doing ok. I'm still working from home and we don't have a timeline to go back to the office. My mom has been going to work the whole time because she is a nanny and the mom in the family is a doctor who still had to work. The dad has been working from home. My son just went to his school for the first time in 2 months to turn in books and clean out lockers.

My state has opened bars, restaurants, nail salons, etc. The pictures I am seeing show these places packed with no one wearing masks or social distancing. We are still seeing about 500 new cases a day. My family is not changing what we are doing for now. Only grocery shopping once a week and the occasional online dinner order to pick up. I do have an appointment to get my hair cut next month and I will probably keep it because I am desperate!

We had to cancel our summer family vacation to Hawaii. Would have been leaving in a couple of weeks so kind of sad and bummed right now. I do have a convention that is still planned for the end of August and I will most likely go. They capped attendance even before this thing so hopefully that will help although I do have to fly. Our October cruise is still on and not sure if we will cancel and lose deposit or make final payment and play it by ear.

I have been playing around with research for next year but it doesn't feel the same. I mean, are we going to be able to travel even? Will there still be quarantine when you arrive to a different country? It's all so up in the air and I can't get excited.

Trvlgrlmq--sorry to hear about your trip to Hawaii being canceled. The restaurants with outdoor seating just opened a few days ago, along with doctor offices. Some retail stores are opening, but big stores like Kohls are still closed. Our town has a really quaint old fashion downtown area with a lot of family owned shops. We don't have a mall in our town, so no big retailers(we have a Wal-mart and Meijers) I just hope all the shops will make it through this. Most people here have always been good about supporting small businesses, so hopefully they will all be able to re-open. I can only imagine how much celebrating there will be when we can have First Friday downtown again!

We haven't had to cancel or change any vacation plans. Our last cruise was this past Jan. It was the Fantasy cruise that had to skip both GC and Jamaica due to weather--I don't feel bad about missing those ports like I did right after the cruise, at least we were able to cruise. Our next cruise is March 2021. I already wonder if and how it might be affected. I probably wouldn't want to go to WDW as soon as they open it. Mainly because I would want to wait to hear from others about what all was opened/closed. Hopefully there won't be any major outbreaks and they will be able to open more attractions by Fall. I guess it depends on how important the things that could be closed are to you. It would suck to have to pay the same amount and have a lot of stuff closed. Are they offering a discount? Ohio is very slowing opening back up. My dd and I are still staying home though and will continue to stay home for a lot longer(she has asthma). We have a big backyard with woods behind our house, so we can go out for walks without encountering others, thankfully. My dh has been going to work all this time. I just wish we could know if any of the parks/pools will be open this summer. If they stay closed we will just go to one of the lakes close by. Ocean water I'm fine with since I can see the fish. Lake water just icks me out, lol!!

I have to say, I am looking at how Disneyland Shanghai is doing things right now and my friends would me extremely disappointed if they cannot take pictures with the characters... I don’t care about characters that much so not being able to meet characters wouldn’t change my plans.

My family is doing ok. I'm still working from home and we don't have a timeline to go back to the office. My mom has been going to work the whole time because she is a nanny and the mom in the family is a doctor who still had to work. The dad has been working from home. My son just went to his school for the first time in 2 months to turn in books and clean out lockers.

My state has opened bars, restaurants, nail salons, etc. The pictures I am seeing show these places packed with no one wearing masks or social distancing. We are still seeing about 500 new cases a day. My family is not changing what we are doing for now. Only grocery shopping once a week and the occasional online dinner order to pick up. I do have an appointment to get my hair cut next month and I will probably keep it because I am desperate!

We had to cancel our summer family vacation to Hawaii. Would have been leaving in a couple of weeks so kind of sad and bummed right now. I do have a convention that is still planned for the end of August and I will most likely go. They capped attendance even before this thing so hopefully that will help although I do have to fly. Our October cruise is still on and not sure if we will cancel and lose deposit or make final payment and play it by ear.

I have been playing around with research for next year but it doesn't feel the same. I mean, are we going to be able to travel even? Will there still be quarantine when you arrive to a different country? It's all so up in the air and I can't get excited.
I believe you are in Tennessee?

Here in Montreal, we are « a hot spot » (5th worst town in the world right now which is pretty awful) the reopening of businesses has been pushed back twice already and I am expecting a third time...

I have a hard time believing our cruise port will reopen on July 1st.

I don’t know about Quebec City cruise port as they are not having it as bad as us...

EDIT: Doesn't look great for Vancouver either: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...e-this-summer-1.5567086?__vfz=medium=sharebar

Last edited:
I believe you are in Tennessee?

Here in Montreal, we are « a hot spot » (5th worst town in the world right now which is pretty awful) the reopening of businesses has been pushed back twice already and I am expecting a third time...

I have a hard time believing our cruise port will reopen on July 1st.

I don’t know about Quebec City cruise port as they are not having it as bad as us...

EDIT: Doesn't look great for Vancouver either: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-health-officials-say-cruise-ships-not-welcome-this-summer-1.5567086?__vfz=medium=sharebar
Yes, in Tennessee. I don't know where we stack up by state but my county has the 4th highest number of cases in the entire state and we are lodged between number 1 & 2 so not a good location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter