CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read through the whole survey and DCL plan on the disneycruiseline blog. I have to say, there is absolutely no way that I would pay DCL prices for what they are planning on taking away and how things are going to be structured. No deck parties, no fireworks and the only way to get off the ship in ports is to have an excursion through DCL, thanks but no thanks. But they are giving you a stateroom credit of $250 after charging you full price for your “magical“ cruise.

I agree. And sorry, but $250 credit is not enough to make up for all the changes. I understand the changes will need to be made, but no way would I pay the regular price.

I read through the whole survey and DCL plan on the disneycruiseline blog. I have to say, there is absolutely no way that I would pay DCL prices for what they are planning on taking away and how things are going to be structured. No deck parties, no fireworks and the only way to get off the ship in ports is to have an excursion through DCL, thanks but no thanks. But they are giving you a stateroom credit of $250 after charging you full price for your “magical“ cruise.

Wow, I have a hard time justifying DCL prices normally. And $250? Ummm I'm getting that on our Alaskan cruise just for a normal booking.

I could maybe understand doing a cruise just to Castaway? But we rarely book cruise line excursions, especially through Disney, so no thanks. I think the reasoning could be something along the lines of "thousands of people flooding onto a small island that could be wiped out by Covid," and I understand that. But I wish there was a happy medium where we would support the islands without being forced to go through DCL.

I'm really interested in the mask or no-mask issue. Masks would be a deal-breaker for us while cruising and I'm waiting to see which way the cruise lines go with that one.

OMG! The Roxbury looks amazing! What a great getaway for you, that’s really awesome that you found such a unique place to spend some time, my guess is you’re going to have a great mini vacay. Thank you so much for sharing that with us, you made my day.

I know I can't help but be happy when I look at it! I'll try to take lots of photos to share!

We aren't doing anything this summer :( I even decided to only take a few long weekends and save my vacation time for winter. I don't need to worry about summer camps since I am working from home. I had planned to get a season pass for the local water park but they aren't open and may not be able to this summer at all. It is all frustrating, though I do love working from home.

I have two cruises booked for December and doubt I'll be going on either one, I will probably lose the deposits on them but It's not a tonne of money so I guess I'm ok with that. I will probably book for early 2022, and likely do a back to back. I really want to cruise on Horizon so think 2 weeks on there would be ideal. Probably in Family Harbor even though kiddo will be 12 by then. Our MSC cruise this December was changed from Seaside to Marviglia and we were upgraded from an inside to balcony, but I doubt we'll be able to get there for it, and having to spend two weeks after in quarantine, meaning no going to see family for Christmas, would not be ideal.

We last cruised in 2018, Disney last summer, and now we probably won't go anywhere until 2022. Such a long time! I know, not exactly the most important of "problems" but it does make me sad.

Such a long time! I know, not exactly the most important of "problems" but it does make me sad.

I'm right there with you. My husband and I are retired. We spend probably close to 4-5 months a year traveling. I even go on one or 2 trips by myself. I'm so sad, but then I see the money we are saving and it helps a little. I'm now planning a major renovation to my home instead. But, I'd still rather be traveling.

Rumor has it that the Carnival Fantasy has been sold and is heading to scrapyards?

And apparently, they will be selling 13 ships?

SOURCE: Cruise Radio

Last edited:
Wow, I have a hard time justifying DCL prices normally. And $250? Ummm I'm getting that on our Alaskan cruise just for a normal booking.

I could maybe understand doing a cruise just to Castaway? But we rarely book cruise line excursions, especially through Disney, so no thanks. I think the reasoning could be something along the lines of "thousands of people flooding onto a small island that could be wiped out by Covid," and I understand that. But I wish there was a happy medium where we would support the islands without being forced to go through DCL.

I'm really interested in the mask or no-mask issue. Masks would be a deal-breaker for us while cruising and I'm waiting to see which way the cruise lines go with that one.

I don't want to play doom prophet but I expect the masks to be mandatory in certain areas of the ships (if not most) until the end of 2020 at the very least.

We aren't doing anything this summer :( I even decided to only take a few long weekends and save my vacation time for winter. I don't need to worry about summer camps since I am working from home. I had planned to get a season pass for the local water park but they aren't open and may not be able to this summer at all. It is all frustrating, though I do love working from home.

I have two cruises booked for December and doubt I'll be going on either one, I will probably lose the deposits on them but It's not a tonne of money so I guess I'm ok with that. I will probably book for early 2022, and likely do a back to back. I really want to cruise on Horizon so think 2 weeks on there would be ideal. Probably in Family Harbor even though kiddo will be 12 by then. Our MSC cruise this December was changed from Seaside to Marviglia and we were upgraded from an inside to balcony, but I doubt we'll be able to get there for it, and having to spend two weeks after in quarantine, meaning no going to see family for Christmas, would not be ideal.

We last cruised in 2018, Disney last summer, and now we probably won't go anywhere until 2022. Such a long time! I know, not exactly the most important of "problems" but it does make me sad.

I wonder if other cruise lines have a "lift and switch" option right now? I know RCCL does.

I wonder if other cruise lines have a "lift and switch" option right now? I know RCCL does.

Neither MSC or Carnival have that type of option, makes me wish I'd booked with RCL, but we really love Carnival and I was looking forward to trying MSC. I will wait and see what happens, hopefully I can at least push the pay in full date on the Carnival and see if the border opens and flights are even possible.

Rumor has it that the Carnival Fantasy has been sold and is heading to scrapyards?

And apparently, they will be selling 13 ships?

SOURCE: Cruise Radio

It's 13 across all their brands though, not just our Carnival ships. Heald denied the Fantasy scrapping but he's been wrong before so who knows.

In the spirit of optimism (not my natural tendency) I booked a flat for our week in London pre-cruise next June. I literally don't know if I should even try for excitement at this point.

It's kinda hard, isn't it? Just like everything I get to book something awesome for my december trip. I want to be excited but I just don't fully believe it's gonna happen. :confused3

The Carnival Fantasy is being scrapped. On July 11th they unloaded their heavy equipment in Curacao and then filed a voyage plan for Izmir, Turkey which is the location of a ship scrapping facility.

Agreed. Also, John Heald just posted this message:

"I know there is interest from some of you about the status of certain ships in our fleet. Our parent company, Carnival Corporation, said in our quarterly earnings call last Friday that the company was going to remove 13 ships across the corporate fleet.
What ships, if any, from the Carnival Cruise Line fleet that may be involved in this capacity reduction, have not been identified. We aren’t in a position to confirm, deny or comment on speculation or rumor.
So please can I kindly ask you not to ask me anything about this subject until and unless the company makes an announcement.
Thank you all for your understanding and loyalty."

1+1=2

Bye bye Fantasy!

I'm expecting the Sensation to be among the 13 that they will sell for scraps.

The Carnival Fantasy is being scrapped. On July 11th they unloaded their heavy equipment in Curacao and then filed a voyage plan for Izmir, Turkey which is the location of a ship scrapping facility.

Can't say I'd be upset about that. Or if more than one Fantasy class ships go. They had their run and I had a great time sailing on a few many years ago, but it's time for them to be retired.

I don't think they can get rid of all of them unless they plan to limit their departure ports, certain places can only support the smaller ships (thinking Jacksonville, Mobile? maybe others).

Our first cruise was on Liberty when it was doing 7 nights from Port Canaveral. We spent two nights at Disney precruise and had booked a private shuttle to get us to port, the company decided to book another family with us, at least they were also at Disney so it was convenient, and they were going on the Sensation. My son loved the way the ship looked from ours, he kept saying he wanted to go on the Sensational cruise. It was doing the 3/4 nights cruises and of course had water slides on it. Any way. We had an awesome cruise, got hooked, and I really hope we get to go again sooner than later! But I doubt we'll even go on a Sensational cruise.

It is all frustrating, though I do love working from home.

Thats the hope that out of all the issues, disappointment, and worst of all those impacted directly by the virus we come out of this in a better position with positive change from it.

I have talked with various companies who are looking at making changes permanently to work from home. I think many in the business world realize we can succeed without being in the office possibly in the future going to a 1 or 2 days in the office each week policy.

Thats the hope that out of all the issues, disappointment, and worst of all those impacted directly by the virus we come out of this in a better position with positive change from it.

I have talked with various companies who are looking at making changes permanently to work from home. I think many in the business world realize we can succeed without being in the office possibly in the future going to a 1 or 2 days in the office each week policy.

That is my hope! I work for the Canadian government and I know for my agency in the past they were looking at ways to "reduce their footprint" ie have less office space. So I hope this works to further that! I love not having to deal with a commute, be able to enjoy a window seat without having to have senority to get one in the office, and we have been given more and more tools that make collaboration easier to do. In the middle of winter, I will truly love not having to scrape snow off the car and go somewhere just to do it all again in 8 hours. :) Looking for the bright side as I try to think of when we will be able to safely cruise again, without a tonne of restrictions. Looking at early 2022 and hoping travel will be back to "normal" at that point. But that I'll still be working from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!