Carousel of Progress Rumors

I would like to see a complete refurbishment and upgrade to the attraction as follows:
  • Make a short beginning and ending scene rather than just a curtain at load and unload
  • Keep all but the currently last scene the same script and voice actors
  • Upgrade all animatronics in all scenes to the latest realistic versions (i.e. not the ones with projected faces)
  • Replace all carpeting (it needs it)
  • Replace all of the seating with much nicer seats
    • Really, the seats in the theater attractions at Disney parks should be better than the best movie theaters, they should be leading the trends in seating, not following them.
  • Upgrade the lighting to LED and more modern lights
  • Completely update the scene that is currently the last scene and set it up so that it can be updated every 6 months to a year with relative ease.
  • Then update the scene set in the future every 6 months to a year with the latest upcoming tech.

• Replace all of the seating with much nicer seats
    • Really, the seats in the theater attractions at Disney parks should be better than the best movie theaters, they should be leading the trends in seating, not following them.
I agree with all of your ideas except this. You don't sit in the seats here anywhere near as long as you do for a movie. Making them better than movie seats would be a ridiculous expense and is not required.

I agree with all of your ideas except this. You don't sit in the seats here anywhere near as long as you do for a movie. Making them better than movie seats would be a ridiculous expense and is not required.
I disagree, many movie theaters take their queues from theme parks, especially smaller theaters and if the these parks show them there are nicer seats available and at a reasonable cost, it can set a trend.

I think it is strange that they have three children the first scene and then only two in all the other scenes. What happened to the the little girl in the wash scene? Also they don't quite age the way they should. Grandma should be about 150 by the final scene.

I think it is strange that they have three children the first scene and then only two in all the other scenes. What happened to the the little girl in the wash scene? Also they don't quite age the way they should. Grandma should be about 150 by the final scene.
The first scene is in 1900. They should be glad they still have two kids left. Childhood mortality was pretty high back then.

After maybe 10 visits to MK, I finally hopped on CoP. If it wasn’t right in front of my face when we walked off of Buzz I probably would’ve skipped it again. Very glad I didn’t. Thoroughly enjoyed it as is. Can’t say the same for DW or the kids, but what do they know?

I thought the extra girl in the first scene was hired help? Not uncommon for the time period, to do laundry and such tasks.

I disagree, many movie theaters take their queues from theme parks, especially smaller theaters and if the these parks show them there are nicer seats available and at a reasonable cost, it can set a trend.

Too much traffic. The seats in the high end movie theaters would not last long once Disney crowds had there way with them.

The original load scene when it was in California in 1968, was a giant color organ that filled the entire first stage, with a voice over about Progress, while several version of Great, Big, Beautiful tomorrow were played. And the exit scene was where everyone came forward, the stage area in the exit was the same as the theater floor. From there you went on a speed ramp up to the second floor where "Progress City", the display you see on the peoplemover, was full animated and a voice over closing completed the epilogue. If they again exited that way (which would be a pain for wheelchairs and scooters) the could load/unload using the same theater. But that would really kill any opportunity for much of an intro, and it is more magical having the door open to load into a completely empty theater. Some of the original scenes were different, too. Mentions of General Electric (the sponsor), of course, have been removed. And in the originals, the scene where the fuse blows and the theater goes dark, that didn't happen. The appliances all did their thing, and he told them to stop or they'd blow a fuse. And I don't remember a scene being Halloween themed like it is now. I think they could update it some without destroying the fun and integrity of it. But without a sponsor, more and more attractions are just being left as is and not updated. I kind of wish the Peoplemover was extended, with the track running though TRON like it does Space Mountain.

Last edited:
I think it’s too non descriptive and needs some IP in there... so Bob Chapek can sell some merch! Lol

I think they should keep it all the way it is.

The first three scenes show the evolution of 20th century home technology very nicely. And, really, once you get past the 40s, home technology didn't change that much at all until the introduction of smart devices (microwave ovens came into the kitchen, but that's about it).

The final scene shows the arrival of smart devices in the home, which is, by far, the biggest change in home technology from the 1940s. PCs and the internet really don't fit the theme of technology and the home. Remember, the setting for the show is the kitchen! (Final scene shows a more modern open floor plan, but you wouldn't see that home design prior to the 90s I would guess).

I think having the 80s fashion and video game graphics is cute. I guess they could put in modern computer game graphics, and change the families outfits and hair to make them modern. But, I would rather they left it as is.

YES! I'm really glad you wrote this. I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't sure I had the energy to summarize it as well as you have (one of those days :faint:).

IOW, I agree! :jumping1:

For me; rather than trying to keep up by changing out the last scene I'd love to go full nostalgia and see the original 1960's ending restored.

It was pretty basic, I remember "mother" saying "We can even change our lighting (lighting changes color) to match the mood of the music."

I did like the arrangements of Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow that they used better than some of the ones they use now, though.

I agree with you, for several reasons. I think the seats are fine, you aren't in them long, and they are more comfortable than many theater seats still in use around the country. Plus the newer style seats take up more room, and mean far less guests per performance, which would equal longer wait tines. The only seats I find somewhat uncomfortable are those in the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, but they do have an advantage of a lot of leg room.

It was pretty basic, I remember "mother" saying "We can even change our lighting (lighting changes color) to match the mood of the music."
And that you could record a TV program to watch later. THAT really got me as a kid!

It really needs a complete update. It’s silly that the first three scenes are about 10 years apart, and the last 50 years later.

I’d like to see them update all the scenes so that it’s more like Horizons - set in the future showing how family life can adapt to different environments - under the sea, on a space station, even on another planet.

Watch this and you will understand why there is such a jump in time. The first three scenes are as close to the original WED inspired version as possible. I would hate to lose that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter