Carry On Luggage -- What do people bring? Use?

Tink316

Mouseketeer
First time cruisers. What do people usually bring for their carry-on luggage?

Trying to decide if bringing an actual carry-on with items for the family (i.e. suits, change of clothes, gifts, wine!) is what people do or if we should each bring a backpack? Not sure if there are any restrictions on what is considered a carry-on for cruise ships.

Thanks!

Daughter usually wears her bathing suit under her clothes so all we bring are cameras and medicine. The less the better for embarkation. You'll have to carry whatever to the buffet/lunch and the pool/around the ship.

We carry backpacks. Like just strapping them on our backs to walk the ship until our stateroom is open. Also easier to walk the buffet line with it on your back and not dragging a suitcase and holding a plate or have to leave someone at the table with all the bags.

While we keep embarkation day in mind, we also think about debarkation. The majority of the time there are no elevators available (all full), and we try to keep our carry-on bags as light as possible for the stairs. We alternate between backpacks and small bags that fit under the seat of an airplane (has rollers and a handle but is easy to carry).

We started doing spinner roll-ons -- about 20" -- for each of us a couple of years ago. My husband used to do a backpack, but can't anymore. The spinners and his camera bag and my tote and it's very easy to go through the buffet as you have a free hand and an easy moving piece of luggage. However, this last time we went to the MDR and enjoyed plopping down and being waited on -- and plenty of places to put our suitcases.

Laptop (yes, I use it, but mostly just to upload photos and to verify my Shutters fob actually has my photos on it)
bathing suits (because your luggage may not come until later in the day)
meds I don't want to be without.
Liquids, like wine, water, pop, etc
Toiletries. I like having a toothbrush with me.
Makeup I may want for dinner.
Cameras and other electronics I may need. (ipad, kindle, plugs, etc)
door magnets (so I don't have to wait to decorate)
change of clothes for dinner, in case your stuff doesn't come until later (although it tends to be there before dinner, but no guarantees)

Take at least one change of clothes, sunscreen, prescription medications, toothbrush and paste. You never know when your luggage might not make it onboard with you.

Not sure if there are any restrictions on what is considered a carry-on for cruise ships.

Similar to airlines - it must fit through a scanner, so not too big. Otherwise, pretty much anything goes -- small suitcase, duffel, backpack, tote bag, large purse, I've even seen boxes as carry-on. Be aware that you will need to carry it around with you until the staterooms are available, which is typically 1:30pm. So if you arrive early and board before noon, you've got a good 90 minutes to lug it. No luggage carts.

What size you need may depend on your family. As a PP mentions, I'd carry-on any valuables like laptops or cameras, medications, anything you may need for the first 24 hours in case luggage is lost or delayed (rare but it does happen). Some people pack a change of clothes for dinner the first night. Any beverages you choose to bring must be in the carry-on, so some people bring their wine and/or beer or cases of water or a favorite soda.

Enjoy your cruise!

We each just use a backpack. Any typical, rolling "carry-on" pieces we may have for the trip, they get loaded on with the rest of the luggage.

Minimal...
I bring a big tote bag with swimsuits and sunscreen.
Passports and boarding documents are in my handbag with medicine.

The kids' backpacks (from the airplane ride) are shoved into the suitcase.
That includes my kindle and the kids' electronics. It might be "safer" with me, but then I need to carry and keep track of it. Its not like they NEED it that day.

We "carry-on" MUCH lighter than we carry on for an airplane ride or a long car ride, for example.

There's really nothing you need. The rooms are ready around 1:30pm and the suitcases are delivered very efficiently. I learned after the first cruise to avoid the pools on embarkation day, which were kind of nuts, with crazy lines for the aquaduck -- much better to go in the mornings or evenings.

We use an international-size 4-wheel spinner carry-on suitcase and a messenger-style camera bag that rests on top of the spinner and is attached using the backside strap designed for this purpose. That makes the combination very easy to manage until we get to our stateroom, since everything rolls as a single unit. The carry-on holds DW’s door magnets, iPad and Kindle, snacks, meds, some clothes, and anything else that might be needed prior to luggage delivery. The camera bag holds both our SLR cameras, my iPad, Kindle, battery chargers and cords, meds, paperwork for the trip in the zippered back pocket so I can access it as needed, perhaps a sweater or even a jacket depending on the weather, and anything else I might need.

I agree with going as “minimal” as possible - ymmv of course.

Last cruise, I had my backpack (electronics) and my wife had everything else in hers (basically docs, emergency clothes, swimwear and wine). That’s pretty much my comfort level

I use a proper airline carryon sized rolling bag and usually a purse or maybe a bit bigger. I've never had difficulties keeping it with me until the rooms are ready, it's just not that bothersome to me.

If I'm dressing up on the cruise I bring ALL my dinner clothes in the carryon, and a pair of shoes (or two if I can't make one pair fit with all the dresses), plus all bathing suits and coverup. Sunscreen and makeup and hair goop. Kindle. I don't take medications but if I had some I'd take those with me, of course. And undergarments.

I've encouraged my son and then-husband to do the same. Basically, it's our utter necessities. Dress up for dinner, wear a swimsuit and coverup all day, and my day is just fine. I really need nothing else.

You will have to carry your carry on until the room is available which is around 1:30PM but also remember you wont get your luggage til later and it can be as late as 5:00PM. So I bring swim wear, phone/camera chargers and at least some basic clothes change so I wont have to worry waiting for the luggage to arrive. It was a little annoying carrying the backpack in Cabanas when we first embarked but room was ready after we ate so no worry there.

Unless you are doing express walkoff debarkation is also important so you will need to keep a change set of clothes for the next day.

There's really nothing you need. The rooms are ready around 1:30pm and the suitcases are delivered very efficiently. I learned after the first cruise to avoid the pools on embarkation day, which were kind of nuts, with crazy lines for the aquaduck -- much better to go in the mornings or evenings.

On two of our three cruises this was the case -- luggage delivered quite promptly. On our last cruise, it was a long wait and not at all ideal. In fact, it kinda screwed me up. I like to get our luggage and completely unpack and then start having fun. Our luggage didn't arrive til late and then there wasn't time to unpack before the long sail away out of NYC. We didn't want to miss the Statue of Liberty or going under the bridge so we were out there for a couple of hours. By then, it was after 6:30. Not at all how I wanted to start our cruise.

So, based on my experience, you can't always count on your luggage being delivered promptly.

I don’t mind bringing a carry-on (I didn’t find it difficult to keep track of). Brought one of those small (carry-on sized) spinner suitcases. I think about the stuff that I’d be most upset to lose if my luggage went missing or that would make a cruise difficult to be without. So, I pack a swimsuit, my toiletries, my kindle/cameras/chargers, 2 bottles of wine, my jewelry, and a change of clothes or so. Then I also carry a purse for my ID, passport, paperwork, etc. My husband brought a backpack and a large camera bag. He packed similar items in his backpack.

Did I NEED to have all that in my carry-on? Nah, but it was a nice “insurance policy.”

First time cruisers. What do people usually bring for their carry-on luggage?

Trying to decide if bringing an actual carry-on with items for the family (i.e. suits, change of clothes, gifts, wine!) is what people do or if we should each bring a backpack? Not sure if there are any restrictions on what is considered a carry-on for cruise ships.

Thanks!
Medications, bathing suits, passports, money. Just the necessities. You don't want to lug too much around until the rooms open.

If you embark on the early side & swim before lunch, the pools are almost empty and the Aqua Duck will have a short line.

Last edited:

I'd never leave anything of value or anything I couldn't afford to be without for a week in checked bags. Not necessarily a matter of need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter