Cases rising or dropping by you?

Florida's situation is the same as yesterday. Cases are down slightly for the second straight day, but two days is not a trend. Today, we reported about 8,900 cases, 9,300 yesterday -- compared to an average of just under 11,000 for the seven previous days.

Deaths were way down: 77 vs 130's the last few days.

Positivity was level at 11% statewide. However, it's way too high in South Florida -- 18% here in Dade and 13% in Broward. It's still too early to expect to see results from the heightened enforcement of the last few days locally.

All of the numbers are still too high. Two days is not a trend.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/...a-covid-19-cases-latest-numbers-reported-doh/

That article also points to "in-region" issues.

"Interestingly, efforts by Northern vacationers to avoid destinations in the South have only created new problems. "People made logical decisions to try to seek areas where they thought there was less transmission," Rubin says. "We saw the greatest amount of traffic on the July Fourth weekend in New Jersey shore locations as I think people looked at the South and said, 'We're going to go North.' " But Rubin says, "This is now conferring new risks to regions that weren't as impacted before."

Rubin says he's seen it firsthand. "I spent a lot of time in upstate New York, and the campsites throughout the Adirondack region are packed right now because there's nothing to do in the cities. So there's a lot of spreading out going on this summer, and that is just increasing the amount of mixing that people are doing."

It's even creating a noticeable spike in infections in certain rural areas that lie between major population centers and vacation spots.
Normally such rural areas are more insulated. But "people are traveling through, and when they go to the convenience store or the gas station, that's where these infections are occurring," Rubin says. "And so we're seeing even rural areas really blow up." These include ones, he adds, "without the health care resources that are necessary to respond to this challenge."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very important to keep in mind too. We need to not only highlight issues due to summer travel from people outside of a given area but also inside a given area.
Definitely. I was just saying it is because of summer travel overall.

They don't seem to be enforcing masks. The local numbers here are sure to jump - well, if not jump, not go down.

They don't seem to be enforcing masks. The local numbers here are sure to jump - well, if not jump, not go down.
That was our mistake in Round 1 -- we had some rules, but no enforcement. Then, the county made any violation a misdemeanor criminal offense, which guaranteed no enforcement. The third try was the right answer -- they made it a civil infraction like a traffic ticket, and now enforcement is happening.

My sister is in Chicago - they just got word that they'll be working from home until at least September 7th.

Florida's number could be leveling off at the moment, but this not a win, the numbers are horrible. If we plateau at this level for a while, this is not positive news. The first schools in Florida are set to open in a couple of weeks.
Agree, and then you see stupid news stories like this one from CNBC.

Two days of lower cases and they are doing a happy dance! All that does is give the public excuses not to use common sense.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/27/cor...-of-slowing-in-arizona-texas-and-florida.html

That was our mistake in Round 1 -- we had some rules, but no enforcement. Then, the county made any violation a misdemeanor criminal offense, which guaranteed no enforcement. The third try was the right answer -- they made it a civil infraction like a traffic ticket, and now enforcement is happening.
In my area they are still trying to figure who is going to give out the citations. Does it really make sense to hire people to give out citations? Does anyone really want to be the mask police.

In my area they are still trying to figure who is going to give out the citations. Does it really make sense to hire people to give out citations? Does anyone really want to be the mask police.
Well, here in Florida we have lots of classifications of people who have the legal authority to issue civil citations. Not only police officers, but also zoning inspectors, health inspectors, even parking enforcement officers, school crossing guards, and parks and rec officers.

The other big thing making violations a civil violation is it eliminated the bad corner they put the police into. The officers were supposed to arrest for violations -- but you know darn well no prosecutor is going to actually prosecute the case. And if they did, the judges would throw them out of court for cluttering up their calendars.

So the officer is supposed to make an arrest they know is absolutely never going to see a courtroom -- risking a confrontation or complaint in the process? Ain't happening.

But a simple ticket? No problem, and we've seen the results.

And...as to the question of who wants that job? Lots of people would take a $15/hour job like that right now. Maybe not in a few months, but right now, yep!

The definitions count too. In Florida, you are only counted in their hospitalization count if your primary diagnosis is Covid. If you enter the hospital with, for example, a stroke and during intake they discover you actually have Covid, that patient isn't counted as being hospitalized with Covid.

Death rate in Florida is only counted if the county medical examiner lists it as the primary reason. This is not the direction of the CDC.

May or may not be correct. See this post.
You mean like the person killed in the motorcycle accident who was diagnosed with Covid AFTER the fact?

Florida it was all over the real news.

I had not heard of that report since I don't live in Florida.

I just looked it up. Apparently it was initially reported as a Covid death but the count has been corrected.

Contrary to what DeSantis stated, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance doesn’t direct caregivers to list all deaths as COVID-19 deaths simply because the disease was detected in the decedent. Instead, it instructs caregivers to list various factors contributing to death in appropriate sections of death certificates. In other words, it does not state that anyone who suffers an unnatural death such as a traffic accident should be listed as a COVID-19-caused death if they also happen to test positive, even if the disease didn’t cause to their death.

It does appear to the case, however, that a motorcyclist who was killed in a traffic accident also tested positive for COVID-19, and was initially listed among Florida’s COVID-19-related deaths. But officials from the Florida Department of Health said that person has since been removed from the count.

The story about the motorcyclist was initially reported by WOFL, an Orlando-based TV news station, which learned the information in a phone conversation with Orange County Health Officer Dr. Raul Pino. In the July 17 article, WOFL reported:

A person who died in a motorcycle accident was added to Florida’s COVID-19 death count, according to a state health official.
FOX 35 News found this out after asking Orange County Health Officer Dr. Raul Pino whether two coronavirus victims who were in their 20s had any underlying conditions. One of his answers surprised us.
“The first one didn’t have any. He died in a motorcycle accident,” Pino said.
Dr. Pino was asked if the man’s data was removed.
“I don’t think so. I have to double-check,” Pino said. “We were arguing, discussing, or trying to argue with the state. Not because of the numbers — it’s 100…it doesn’t make any difference if it’s 99 — but the fact that the individual didn’t die from COVID-19…died in the crash. But you could actually argue that it could have been the COVID-19 that caused him to crash. I don’t know the conclusion of that one.”
WOFL updated the story two days later to indicate that the motorcyclist death had been removed from the COVID-19 death tally. Kent Donahue, a spokesman for Pino’s office, confirmed that to be the case in a phone interview with Snopes. We therefore list this claim as “Outdated.”

Just FYI, medical examiners typically identify the "proximal cause of death," which means the main cause -- the immediate cause.

So, if a person dies of a self-inflicted gunshot wound the death would be classified as a suicide, and the cause of death would be gunshot. If they also had cancer they had cancer, but that did not cause their death.

If they die from traumatic injuries in a car crash, but the autopsy reveals substance abuse -- they died from the car crash...even if the substance abuse caused the crash.

I had not heard of that report since I don't live in Florida.

I just looked it up. Apparently it was initially reported as a Covid death but the count has been corrected.

Contrary to what DeSantis stated, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance doesn’t direct caregivers to list all deaths as COVID-19 deaths simply because the disease was detected in the decedent. Instead, it instructs caregivers to list various factors contributing to death in appropriate sections of death certificates. In other words, it does not state that anyone who suffers an unnatural death such as a traffic accident should be listed as a COVID-19-caused death if they also happen to test positive, even if the disease didn’t cause to their death.

It does appear to the case, however, that a motorcyclist who was killed in a traffic accident also tested positive for COVID-19, and was initially listed among Florida’s COVID-19-related deaths. But officials from the Florida Department of Health said that person has since been removed from the count.

The story about the motorcyclist was initially reported by WOFL, an Orlando-based TV news station, which learned the information in a phone conversation with Orange County Health Officer Dr. Raul Pino. In the July 17 article, WOFL reported:

WOFL updated the story two days later to indicate that the motorcyclist death had been removed from the COVID-19 death tally. Kent Donahue, a spokesman for Pino’s office, confirmed that to be the case in a phone interview with Snopes. We therefore list this claim as “Outdated.”
Oh don't worry. The conspiracy theorists will continue to make a mountain out of a mole hill and continue to fail to note it has already been corrected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter