Cases rising or dropping by you?

Oh don't worry. The conspiracy theorists will continue to make a mountain out of a mole hill and continue to fail to note it has already been corrected.

Plus, common sense tells me that we have to have under-reported cases and deaths in the early days of this virus when we were all staying home. If a few others get counted that shouldn't be, I can cope with that with out getting upset.

Honestly, I think we would all do well to just take a deep breath and stop trying to ascribe the worst possible motivations to anyone we think plays for the other team.

This crap is a mess. It's a mess for everybody, and it doesn't make any difference whether you are a Democrat governor with thousands of citizens dying or a Republican governor with thousands of citizens dying. It's a pandemic, and it sucks...for everybody.

They are ALL -- both parties, both political philosophies -- trying to do the best they can with the information they have at their disposal (which is a LOT more than we have).

They are smarter and more capable than any of us "DIS-epidemiologists." That's why they are governors, and we're not.

We're just being silly, and it's not a good look on any of us.

Honestly, I think we would all do well to just take a deep breath and stop trying to ascribe the worst possible motivations to anyone we think plays for the other team.

This crap is a mess. It's a mess for everybody, and it doesn't make any difference whether you are a Democrat governor with thousands of citizens dying or a Republican governor with thousands of citizens dying. It's a pandemic, and it sucks...for everybody.

They are ALL -- both parties, both political philosophies -- trying to do the best they can with the information they have at their disposal (which is a LOT more than we have).

They are smarter and more capable than any of us "DIS-epidemiologists." That's why they are governors, and we're not.

Sorry, disagree with you. I don’t think all governors are doing the best they can. And while they have teams of experts they’re working with, them being governors is a political position, not a scientific one.

It is naive to believe that this virus hasn’t become political - on both sides. It shouldn’t have, but it absolutely has.

Sorry, disagree with you. I don’t think all governors are doing the best they can. And while they have teams of experts they’re working with, them being governors is a political position, not a scientific one.

It is naive to believe that this virus hasn’t become political - on both sides. It shouldn’t have, but it absolutely has.
The virus is apolitical. The DIS-epidemiologists are political.

I honestly believe all governors, of both parties, are doing the best they can.

YMMV, and that's fine.

Respectfully, completely, wholeheartedly disagree.
An individual in a public position of power has ZERO bearing to how smart they are. And, the people in the White House should be even smarter because they are in charge of the entire country?

Your assumption would mean that those governors who closed late, opened early, and don’t mandate masks all have good public health reasons to justify their decisions.

Respectfully, completely, wholeheartedly disagree.
An individual in a public position of power has ZERO bearing to how smart they are. And, the people in the White House should be even smarter because they are in charge of the entire country?

Your assumption would mean that those governors who closed late, opened early, and don’t mandate masks all have good public health reasons to justify their decisions.
LOL! You're proving my point about all of us (and I include myself) DIS-geniuses.

Last edited:
Yes.

And it also means that I believe governors who did the following -- and had the following results -- acted in good faith:
  1. Ordered that long-term care facilities (nursing homes, ALF's, etc) MUST accept Covid patients being discharged from hospitals, AND
  2. Suffered 32,708 Covid deaths in their state.
They did the best they could, and it turned out badly. But they acted in good faith.

2 of central Florida's main hospital groups are seeing a decrease in hospitalizations. 1 of the groups had over 25% decrease from 2 weeks ago.

2 of central Florida's main hospital groups are seeing a decrease in hospitalizations. 1 of the groups had over 25% decrease from 2 weeks ago.
That's good news, but the numbers are still really unacceptable here, and they're (the state) not releasing numbers, and not telling how many people are being transferred from the hospital to nursing facilities.

The number of deaths in Florida is up for the third straight day. 252 reported today. Nearly 10,000 more cases, and testing is closing today because of Isaias. Maybe the labs will get caught up with the tests. I read today that one person is dying of Covid in the USA every minute.

In Orlando I saw a car from Nova Scotia yesterday. Nowhere near the parks, but? So many out-of-state plates not in the Disney area that you'd swear nobody was sick here. There were tons of them at AK on Tuesday late afternoon. California, Illinois, entire eastern seaboard every southern state, Missouri. Americans just can't stay home I guess.

Here's an example of what I think is wrong with USA in general:
https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/fli...tically-less-than-ones-in-the-us-on-the-radar

Cases are dropping here in AZ. But the positivity rate is still double digits. I don’t think we’re testing enough.

My state (Illinois) now has a 95% recovery rate. 2.6 million tests have been performed; yielding 176,896 positives or 6% of the tested population. Of the 12.74 million people in Illinois, there is a 1.3% positivity percent.
My county has 23 cases actively.
We're just south of Wisconsin (not Chicago :-) )

My state (Illinois) now has a 95% recovery rate. 2.6 million tests have been performed; yielding 176,896 positives or 6% of the tested population. Of the 12.74 million people in Illinois, there is a 1.3% positivity percent.
My county has 23 cases actively.
We're just south of Wisconsin (not Chicago :-) )

Sounds very promising! I hope that's Lake County-that's where DH's family lives.

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but be very wary if it's from any Florida state agencies.

This is some of the things reported about Florida from people trying to track information.

Hospitalization Data by DOH
There is no active count of COVID-19 positive persons admitted to a hospital ER or as an in-patient by the Florida Department of Health (DOH) database.

DOH has never provided data about the number of people currently hospitalized or in the emergency room who are COVID-19 positive. They do not provide dates for when COVID-19 persons were admitted to or discharged from the ER or as in-patients to a hospital.

The only hospital-related data published by DOH is the Florida Metrics data, published every Sunday, which counts the total number of legal Florida residents (OMITS Floridians who haven't officially made the state their home) who visited an ER in the state of Florida with symptoms matching the key terms of influenza and COVID-19 (reported by week).

HOSPITAL ICU BED AVAILABILITY DATA NOTICES

>>New AHCA Data on Currently Hospitalized COVID-Positive Persons (AS OF JULY 10, 2020)

The Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) provides the hospital data you see on this page, including the newly-added count for active COVID-19 hospitalizations. You can access the raw AHCA data here.

The COVID-19 “currently hospitalized” data only counts persons who are hospitalized with a “primary diagnosis of COVID-19.” This excludes persons with multiple diagnosis in which COVID-19 is a factor but not primary diagnosis, those who were hospitalized at the time they contracted COVID-19, or any case where a doctor doesn’t feel COVID-19 is the primary cause of illness.

According to AHCA, the data should be updated by all hospitals in the state no later than 10 AM; however, AHCA notes that many hospitals do not meet this deadline, and that others may update more frequently throughout the day.

>>AHCA Data on Hospital Bed Capacity

On June 22, 2020, Governor DeSantis announced that the AHCA would no longer report the number of occupied ICU beds as it had previously been done.

Consequently, the number of available beds shown as available in this data includes beds that are currently occupied, but that the DeSantis administration has determined by an un-disclosed metric could be made available by removing the person occupying it.

Sounds very promising! I hope that's Lake County-that's where DH's family lives.
I'm about 2 hours west of Lake County (used to work there - it's a small world...after all)...
Sorry. I'm not sure of their numbers. Overall our state is doing better.
But like the virus - it can change every 7-14 days.

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but be very wary if it's from any Florida state agencies.

This is some of the things reported about Florida from people trying to track information.

I'm getting this data from the hospital system themselves. My wife and I both work for different hospitals in central Florida.

Florida New Cases falling...finally

I've been saying all along that one day's numbers are meaningless -- whether they conform to one's political hopes and dreams or not. But now we can honestly say that Florida's new cases have moderated substantially.

After several weeks averaging about 12,000 new cases per day, for the last 8 days Florida has had fewer than 10,000 new cases each day. Yesterday, we had less than 8,000 (actually just over 7,000) for the first time in a long time.

The positivity rate has also declined -- from 12-13% to about 11% for the last week and 9% yesterday. Positivity in my county (Miami-Dade) has dropped from low-20% to about 16% for the last week.

One big surprise (to me) is that Orange County's numbers do not seem to have surged like I expected with WDW re-opening. They have stayed very steady around 400 per day and the positivity rate for the most recent week is less than 9%. I had expected a big surge among CMs, hospitality workers, airport employees, etc -- but no.

The numbers are still way too high and we still have a long way to go, but at least the numbers seem to have stopped going up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter