Casserole recipes for Seniors

jiminyC_fan

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,

I am in need of some easy casserole dishes to feed to our elderly friends on the weekends. They pretty much like somewhat bland food. Any ideas?

Thanks!

My mom passed away last year- she was 86 but I had been preparing meals for her for probably the last 8 years so I definitely have some things in mind. She really liked hamburger soup-ground meat, canned diced tomatoes, frozen mixed vegetables and a little frozen okra, some dehydrated onions or sauted fresh chopped onions and some seasonings. (I can find an exact recipe if you need it.) I also made chicken and rice, meatloaf, goulash, spanish rice. :dance3:

Thanks! I need all the help I can get. The man doesn't eat rice or pineapple. (at Pearl Harbor and that was their main staples)

My mom really liked this one-my boys like it too.
Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Show: Paula's Home Cooking
Episode: Cooking with Kids

2 (14 1/2-ounce) can green beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups diced cooked chicken
1 medium onion diced and sauteed
1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 (4-ounce) can pimentos
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
1 cup mayonnaise
(6-ounce) box long-grain and wild rice, cooked according to package directions
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
Pinch salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 3-quart casserole dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.

Brown 1 lb of hamburger meat (ground round)
Add 1 med diced onion to pan and saute it
Add 1 chopped green pepper(optional)
Add 2-3 cans of diced tomatoes(can be with basil flavoring or whatever)
1 can of tomato sauce(small)
Add some italian seasoning(they sell these mixtures in the spice section) I use Melissa's organic italian seasoning(just to taste)
Add a couple of tablespoons of sugar(cuts the acidity of the tomatoes)
Boil a bag of elbow macaroni in another pan

Mix the macaroni into the meat/tomato mixture

It seems like the mixture kind of expands so you kind of have to eyeball how many cans of tomatoes you put in. You want it moist but not real juicy. I usually mix my macaroni in but you could just serve the sauce over the macaroni(kind of like spaghetti if you wanted to.

Serve with a salad and french bread.

Below is Paula Deen's Chicken and Dumplings but here's what I do.

I boil chicken breasts and chop or shred them up. (save the broth) Then I use Paula Deen's celery/onion/bay leaves/bouillon cubes/house seasoning(recipe below)- I keep a little bag of that) and the cream of celery soup. (I use two cans of the cream of celery soup).

Then I boil egg noodles(whatever kind you like from the store) I use No Yolks brand. I boil them in the broth made from boiling the chicken. Then I dump all of the celery/onion bay leaves/bouillon cubes/house seasoning/soups into the noodles. If you have a lot of broth it can be runny like soup but I have just enough and the noodles/chicken mixture can be put on a plate to eat or still eat it out of a boil but you want the broth to be soaked up. I have just a big saucepan/soup kettle thing I leave it in. This is pretty bland too but has lots of flavor. I had made this before Paula Deen's recipe but that celery soup really makes it good. I usually serve with rolls and green peas. Oh sometimes I toss the frozen peas in with the chicken/noodles.
Paula's recipe with homemade dumplings(I've never made them- we like store bought noodles! and it makes it easier)

Chicken:
1 (2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery or cream of chicken soup
Dumplings:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Ice water

To start the chicken: Place the chicken, celery, onion, bay leaves, bouillon, and House Seasoning in a large pot. Add 4 quarts of water and in water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer the chicken until it is tender and the thigh juices run clear, about 40 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and separate the meat from the bones. Return the chicken meat to the pot. Keep warm over low heat.
To prepare the dumplings: Mix the flour with the salt and mound together in a mixing bowl. Beginning at the center of the mound, drizzle a small amount of ice water over the flour. Using your fingers, and moving from the center to the sides of the bowl, gradually incorporate about 3/4 cup of ice water. Knead the dough and form it into ball.

Dust a good amount of flour onto a clean work surface. Roll out the dough (it will be firm), working from center to 1/8-inch thick. Let the dough relax for several minutes.

Add the cream of celery soup to the pot with the chicken and simmer gently over medium-low heat.

Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Pull a piece in half and drop the halves into the simmering soup. Repeat. Do not stir the chicken once the dumplings have been added. Gently move the pot in a circular motion so the dumplings become submerged and cook evenly. Cook until the dumplings float and are no longer doughy, 3 to 4 minutes.

To serve, ladle chicken, gravy, and dumplings into warm bowls.

Cook's Note: If the chicken stew is too thin it can be thickened before the dumplings are added. Simply mix together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water then whisk this mixture into the stew.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Oh my gosh, do I ever love you. I can't thank you enough.

They both sound right up my alley for them. I personally am really interested in the chicken and dumplings. What's funny is that I keep Paula's house seasoning in my house at all times. I use it for EVERYTHING. It is known around my friends and family as "Sandy's salt". lol

I like the idea for a little sugar in your goulash. I think they would appreciate that!

Thank you so much for all your time!!!!

I like boneless chicken in a crockpot. Add a can of diced or crushed tomatoes. Cook on low 8 hours. Serve with noodles and a veggie.

Thanks! I am trying the goulash and chicken recipe this weekend. Next, the chicken and dumplings. Thanks so much for help!

how about ham and beans(whatever kind you like) Make some Jiffy cornbread and get some chow chow. Most older folks like that.

Ham and beans is my favorite soup. That would work great in the winter but am afraid of soups etc in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter