Castle Moat Draining

Rob Huff

Mouseketeer
We're heading to the World on Thursday and absolutely cannot wait: while West Michigan was sunny with blue skies this morning, the feels-like was 17. That's not quite getting the job done.

I've been tracking attraction closures for months now and am pleased to see that basically the entirety of each park is open right now, save for Rafiki's Planet Watch, the WDW RR, and Tomorrowland Speedway. We'll take it!

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that the moat around Cinderella Castle would be drained for the pathway widening project until today. Does anybody have any additional information about this project and how long the moats will be empty? That sludge on the concrete doesn't quite create the same ethereal feeling as the rippling water. At least it doesn't via picture -- maybe the sludge is more attractive in person?

I'd like to know too. I realize it is what it is, just curious:)

No idea how long it will take but I look forward to a wider path there. If anyone is just hanging out, it can be hard to get through.

I just got back. I didn’t realize it was drained until we actually crossed over it. I don’t think it really detracted from anything. And I don’t remember it looking really sludgy either. And there is some water in some areas. It’s dammed up in the areas they are working.

I'm sure there's CM pool going somewhere on the grand total for all the change collected. I'm not sure why folks visiting WDW are compelled to throw their change into any body of water they find in the parks.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and the water was low. I noticed several hats and a walking cane in the muck. Hopefully, they will dredge up those items and send them to lost and found.

Nope, not more attractive in person. Looks worse, actually, since you can smell it, too.

I believe they are expanding the walkway between Liberty Square and Fantasyland (by Sleepyhollow) and that was the reason for the moat draining. I don't think anyone has said specifically how long it is going to take to finish, but we will be there Memorial Day Weekend and hoping and wishing it is done before then....that area is my favorite :)

This info was posted on the news and rumors board. This project is to widen the pathway between Liberty Square and Fantasyland behind the castle. They also are using this time to refurb the drained portion of the moat as well. This is supposed to take a couple months.

Yes it doesn't look pretty but its a necessary evil. Over time dirt and grime builds up in there.

I also didn’t notice it until we were going over a bridge. I also didn’t notice any sludge but to be honest once I saw it was drained I didn’t look at it any closer - takes the magic away! So there could have been sludge and I just didn’t see it. I also didn’t notice any kid if smell but we were there the last week of March. Maybe as it gets hotter there is more of a smell now?

No you can't smell it.

You won't notice it unless you're walking over a bridge or actually looking toward the water.

It's not that gross
We sure smelled it when we were there the last week of March. I'm guessing it has mostly dried by now and isn't quite as fragrant.

I just got back. I didn’t realize it was drained until we actually crossed over it. I don’t think it really detracted from anything. And I don’t remember it looking really sludgy either. And there is some water in some areas. It’s dammed up in the areas they are working.

Ditto, was there last week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter