CDC Color Coded COVID-19 Ship Status

CmdrThor

Mouseketeer
The CDC's new color coded rating of ships has been launched. The Dream and Wonder are both "provisionally red" which means they have met one of the following criteria to be classified red:

Red Ship Criteria
  • One or more cases of confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like Illness within the past 28 days, or
  • Ship received ship-to-ship transfers from a ship that had confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like illness within the 28 days before the transfer occurred, or
  • If land-based crew embarked, they were not immediately quarantined for 14 days upon embarking the ship, or
  • During the past 28 days, the ship missed one or more weekly submission of the EDC form.

The Fantasy is provisionally green, it seems once they review and acknowledge the CDC No Sail Order Response Plan and submit a signed attestation to the CDC the crew from the Fantasy can then travel commercially to repatriate.

The Magic is not rated presumably because it is over in Europe and likely will be until the No Sail Order is over.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

Guessing that explains the reason the Dream is camping out near Barbados and the Wonder is tooling around the Caribbean dropping off crew at countries that will allow repatriation. Also maybe to give them time to complete their Safety plans to submit to the CDC prior to the end of the No Sail Order next month.

Guessing that explains the reason the Dream is camping out near Barbados and the Wonder is tooling around the Caribbean dropping off crew at countries that will allow repatriation. Also maybe to give them time to complete their Safety plans to submit to the CDC prior to the end of the No Sail Order next month.
The current Safety Plan applies ONLY to crew repatriation activities. There is no standard or review for passenger ops yet.

Wonder and Dream both have submitted Safety Plans. They are, however, still Red. I suspect the Red status is in fact active positive results within 28 days, because it does appear DCL has been filing their paperwork.

Thanks for that link. Poking around there, I also found a list of (all?) crew member disembarkations approved since 4/15. (I can't seem to post the link, but you need to click "Disembarkations of Crew Members" under "Cruise Ship Travel" on the left. It's near the bottom of that page.)

If my math is right, Disney has repatriated over 1300 crew members in the past two months.

Thanks for that link. Poking around there, I also found a list of (all?) crew member disembarkations approved since 4/15. (I can't seem to post the link, but you need to click "Disembarkations of Crew Members" under "Cruise Ship Travel" on the left. It's near the bottom of that page.)

If my math is right, Disney has repatriated over 1300 crew members in the past two months.
And those were the crew allowed off in US ports. So the Magic drop in Dover and the island hopping right now would not be accounted for in this chart.

Can someone spell out what this really means? Maybe it is not a classification that has no meaning any further that current status. I’m thinking here, but wanted to know just how spot on or stupid my thoughts are.

Like:
Red - nobody sails until we become green.
Yellow - sail at your own risk.
Green - All aboard!

Would a newly listed Yellow ship have a 14 day quarantine? At a nearby hotel after sailing?

Would Red quarantine on the ship? And cancel everything 30 days after sailing upon return?

If any of the above were true wouldn’t it be best to have a 3 Working ships, with a spare to carry out the itineraries that will be missed by a red code ship? (Red is going to happen at some point) Healthy people get on an airplane near an unsymptomatic infected person.

Please comment on what you think Red or Yellow could mean to our future sailing. I’m thinking this can still be on topic for the original post.

Can someone spell out what this really means? Maybe it is not a classification that has no meaning any further that current status. I’m thinking here, but wanted to know just how spot on or stupid my thoughts are.

Like:
Green - All aboard!

Would a newly listed Yellow ship have a 14 day quarantine? At a nearby hotel after sailing?

Would Red quarantine on the ship? And cancel everything 30 days after sailing upon return?

If any of the above were true wouldn’t it be best to have a 3 Working ships, with a spare to carry out the itineraries that will be missed by a red code ship? (Red is going to happen at some point) Healthy people get on an airplane near an unsymptomatic infected person.

Please comment on what you think Red or Yellow could mean to our future sailing. I’m thinking this can still be on topic for the original post.
I believe it, currently, only has to do with crew repatriation:

• Green Ship: This designation is awarded to ships that have seen no outbreaks within the past 28 days onboard. Also, any crew members who signed onto the ship were immediately quarantined for 14 days.
  • Yellow Ship: This designation is for ships that had previously been designated as Green but has since has had one or more pending illness within the last 28 days. If crew members in question test negative, the ship can go back to green status. If the test is positive, the ship is designated as red.
  • Red Ship: This designation is given to any ship that has had one or more positive cases within the past 28 days; received a crew transfer from a ship which is in designated red; if a crew member signed on and did not quarantine; or if the vessel failed to submit the weekly Enhanced Data Collection form to the CDC.
So why are these designations important to the repatriation efforts? Only those crew members coming from ships that have received a Green designation are able to travel aboard commercial air flights.

I'm not sure if or when it will translate to passenger loads.

Like:
Green - All aboard!

I dont think it will translate to opening cruising as easily as your idea. Yellow means there’s a suspected case and tests are pending. It’s a temporary stage until they get the results and go to red or green.

I would agree nobody sails at red since that requires crew to be in single cabins, crew public areas to close, and members to mostly be confined to quarters when not working and means there is confirmed CoVid aboard or was recently enough that current crew could be asymptomatic.

Green though just means they have a successful crew “bubble” and that ports and airlines can trust the ship at that moment. As soon as new people come on (including passengers) that ship is no longer a safe bubble (and they have requirements for on boarding people to quarantine to keep that “bubble”).

The colors are just about stopping rapid transmission for people who must be on the ship and how to safely get them off. I really have no idea at what point it will be safe to stuff a revolving door with thousands of passengers on a ship week after week. Especially when it becomes an unclean shop the minute a non-quarantined person steps aboard. Officials are either going to have to be okay with widespread unchecked transmissions in a widely dispersed traveling group or we’ll need the CoVid risk to be gone.

So if I understand that chart right, the wonder has not had a Covid case in some 28 days maybe 21 and the individual that died who was a painter on the wonder did not die of Covid then. Perhaps because he was hired for painting, but it was somehow work related and not illness. Perhaps I have missed a thread giving information of his death?

So if I understand that chart right, the wonder has not had a Covid case in some 28 days maybe 21 and the individual that died who was a painter on the wonder did not die of Covid then. Perhaps because he was hired for painting, but it was somehow work related and not illness. Perhaps I have missed a thread giving information of his death?
Either he was tested and it came back negative or he hasn’t been tested yet. We don’t really know at this point.

Either he was tested and it came back negative or he hasn’t been tested yet. We don’t really know at this point.

If the test hadn't come back yet I don't see how they couldn't have been classified yellow. His symptoms prior to death definitely seemed "COVID-like". The Fantasy had been classified yellow the previous week presumably because of a possible case but then returned to green most likely after a negative test for the possible case.

I would think certain industries have those rapid tests by now. Disney has facilities in several different countries that may have a reliable short term test.
But then again if the CDC is going to have everyone on a 14 day quarantine as soon as they get on the ship maybe that test was never very good.
I know I don’t understand this very well so maybe this will help me understand if I ask this question. If the wonder turns up Yellow In the next report doesn’t that mean there’s a suspected case? Or if next week the wonder is red that would confirm he had Covid?
Otherwise I think I’m glad it’s not getting out as to why he passed. His family doesn’t need any more media picking up on it then is already involved.

Again, as has been reported and also the indication of the CDC status, the crew member that sadly died has been on board for long enough to have been tested, they tested EVERYONE on the Wonder to try to ascertain who had contracted the virus and who hadn't, so he had to have been on board longer than the 28 days that has been reported since the last positive tested individual was identified. The incubation period of the virus is well with in that time for them to have been able to identify if he had contracted the virus or not. The media has been climbing all over this story and making their best effort to continue to paint the Wonder is the "evil" virus ship in this whole scenario. While we don't absolutely know what this poor man has passed away from, the likelihood it was from CoVid-19 is not really very high. Now what hasn't been reported is if he has been tested and did show positive but ASYMPTOMATIC and didn't get sick at all, and if there is any way that that could have contributed to a medical condition he had that precipitated his death. Until they make some kind of official announcement, all the speculation won't help resolve the issue that he unfortunately passed away. Also the media keeps trotting out this 255 crew who have tested positive, as if they're trying to indicate that there is 255 crew who are still positive and "sick" with the virus, when that doesn't make sense, especially since there's only around 250 total crew on board the ship!

I would think certain industries have those rapid tests by now. Disney has facilities in several different countries that may have a reliable short term test.
But then again if the CDC is going to have everyone on a 14 day quarantine as soon as they get on the ship maybe that test was never very good.

Even the best of the tests have about a 30% false negative rate - as in you are actually infected but it says you are not about 30% of the time.

The estimated incubation period (the time between catching the virus and symptom onset) is 5-6 days on average, ranging from 1 to 14 days. So if you caught it yesterday and are tested today you will probably test negative as you are likely still your incubation period and don't have enough of a viral load for the test to show positive. Perhaps you start to show symptoms on day 6. Or perhaps you end up being infected but one of the ones who never show symptoms for the whole time you are sick. Hence the 14 day mandatory quarantine period they put new crew under regardless of test status.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter