CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
But this one as far as I have seen is NOT exposing trial participants.
I'm going to guess we're going off of ethics here. Normally for studies we've had extensive animal trials. We've had to go to around that route because of the immediacy of the situation. Since we've largely started with humans that would be likely considered unethical to expose within a lab covid to a human. BUT we still need people who have a greater chance of contracting it but on a natural environment route thus why people who aren't going out and about in public aren't good candidates for the study. Their natural exposure rate can be too low.

I'm going to guess we're going off of ethics here. Normally for studies we've had extensive animal trials. We've had to go to around that route because of the immediacy of the situation. Since we've largely started with humans that would be likely considered unethical to inject covid to a human. BUT we still need people who have a greater chance of contracting it but on a natural environment route thus why people who aren't going out and about in public aren't good candidates for the study. Their natural exposure rate can be too low.

Exactly correct. When we were doing the very first Q&A for the vaccine study, they made it very clear we were no use to them if we just stayed home all the time.

Are you allowed to tell us which study you are participating in? Also, what makes you think you got the placebo? Honestly I wanted to sign up for a study but only if I got the real deal. lol.
We're in the Pfizer/Biontech study. We know a few other people in the study. Three of five had small reactions at each dose (sore arm both times, low-grade fever the second). We felt nothing. It's possible that we did get the real deal, but it seems less likely. I am interested in finding out for sure.

I signed up after reviewing risks because I felt that it was a way that I could contribute. I felt slightly "cheated" thinking that I got the placebo, but they do need both groups, so I am still making a contribution.

I was just wondering- since you are in the study, if you actually did get the placebo, will they contact you and offer/ give you the real vaccine if they get it approved? Like do you get to be "first in line" if you have not already had it?
We will be informed at the end of the study if we received actual vaccine or placebo. The end of the study is either in 2 years or earlier if they find that the data shows the vaccine is effective/safe. I don't think that we have any advantage in getting the vaccine, if needed. We'll be in the same position as anyone else.

Exactly correct. When we were doing the very first Q&A for the vaccine study, they made it very clear we were no use to them if we just stayed home all the time.
They seemed happy enough with our response that I grocery shop once every week and a half or so and that we still go to routine dental/vision/etc. appointments. They'd probably prefer that we had more chance of exposure, but it didn't keep us from the study.

I really wish that we had our college student do the study with us. We thought it would be too much of a pain to get him back for the required visits, but he would be a better participant, and I'd like for him to have had a chance at the vaccine.

Last edited:
They seemed happy enough with our response that I grocery shop once every week and a half or so and that we still go to routine dental/vision/etc. appointments. They'd probably prefer that we had more chance of exposure, but it didn't keep us from the study.

I really wish that we had our college student do the study with us. We thought it would be too much of a pain to get him back for the required visits, but he would be a better participant, and I'd like for him to have had a chance at the vaccine.
I'd say that's at least moderate exposure. You may not be going out every day or every other day but you're not putting off routine medical care nor are you abstaining from the grocery store for a prolonged period of time. I've seen people say they haven't been inside the store for 6-8 weeks (or that they go every 6 weeks and that's the only place they go) or that they've only done curbside or delivery. I've read even that a few (not many but a few) of people who haven't been out really since March or so.

I totally understand. Pfizer just announced they're expanding their testing to colleges since that's where all the spread is now. And since those idiots will do whatever they want.

But they’re not the ones dying. They’ll probably end up with long hauler
Wow, was this quick or what.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/18/cdc...ple-without-symptoms-may-not-need-a-test.html
Politics really need to stay away from CDC and FDA.

I agree. It’s a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter