Celebrating 50 Disney style! Complete w. cost breakdown and OOP vs DDP thoughts.

Joining! DH and I just returned from our 3rd kid-free trip on Wednesday and we ate in Harambe Market for the first time. We really enjoyed it but didn't try the milk tart and now I wish we did! Sounds right up my alley so I'm putting it on my list for our Nov. trip. I also had my first avocado margarita and I enjoyed that, also. Didn't really get the avocado taste, though.
We did GG breakfast last Nov. and loved it! Had a little snafu with 2 of the characters and unfortunately didn't meet farmer Mickey or Pluto, so younger DS has requested it again for this Nov. Glad you enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading more :)

Joining! DH and I just returned from our 3rd kid-free trip on Wednesday and we ate in Harambe Market for the first time. We really enjoyed it but didn't try the milk tart and now I wish we did! Sounds right up my alley so I'm putting it on my list for our Nov. trip. I also had my first avocado margarita and I enjoyed that, also. Didn't really get the avocado taste, though.
We did GG breakfast last Nov. and loved it! Had a little snafu with 2 of the characters and unfortunately didn't meet farmer Mickey or Pluto, so younger DS has requested it again for this Nov. Glad you enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading more :)

Thanks for joining in! Your third child-free trip! How awesome is that?? I am trying to persuade DH that a quick three night trip would be just the thing this January. Have to make good use of my annual pass, right? I hope you enjoy the milk tart, they are really good!

Joining too
Glad to have you here! :)

This was the big night I had been planning for.....my special birthday dinner at California Grill! My reservation was for 9:25 so I left the Boardwalk around 8:00 to catch the bus to MK and then stroll over to the Contemporary. I arrived at the Contemporary around 8:50 and spent some time just enjoying the ambiance of the 4th floor area; looking at the gorgeous Mary Blair mural, watching the monorail and browsing at Fantasia. I made my way downstairs and checked in at the podium around 9:15 and was soon being whisked up to the 15th floor in the elevator. My table wasn't quite ready so I took a seat the the bar. After perusing the cocktail menu, I decided to go with a favourite from another Diser @vettegirl, the Cucumber Fizz. I loved this, very refreshing with cucumber water, limoncello and Ciroc vodka.
IMG_2716.JPG
After 5-10 minutes, my table was ready and I was led to a lovely two top beside the window along the back wall. The table was sprinkled with Mickey confetti and had a lovely view towards the lake. Jorges was my server and he was friendly and welcoming. My one complaint is about the upsell here. I like to know exactly what the price difference is if I am making a choice. Jorges asked me if I would prefer still or sparkling water. I chose sparkling thinking they did their own house sparkling, only to find out it was San Pelligrino at $9/bottle! I would have liked to have been informed when he presented the options. Oh well!

Soon my wonderful bread basket arrived and while I didn't bother with the sourdough rolls, I could have happily eaten my weight in the lovely lavender focaccia. This was so soft and paired beautifully with the butter and sea salt. Heavenly!
IMG_2717.JPG
For my meal, I decided to go with the Georgia Peach salad to start and then the Truffle scented tofu roll as my main. When Jorges took my order, he said "Is that it?" which rather upset me. I don't feel it's the server's place to question what a guest chooses to order. I was determined not to let anything mar my evening so I just smiled and said "yes, it is, thank you". I definitely noticed a decline in the service I received after this which wasn't a good move on his part because I tip very well, especially for a special meal like this. I ended up only doing a standard 18% but I would usually tip 25% or more for great service.
The salad itself was good with fresh field greens, quartered peaches, goat cheese. marcona almonds and a tangy dressing. The peaches could have been riper but I will admit to being spoiled with the best peaches available in August in Ontario, it really is hard to compete with how luscious ours are.
IMG_2719.JPG
After finishing my salad, it was time for Wishes! I went out to the observation platform and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my favourite fireworks. It makes me cry every time...I am such a sap! When I came back to the table my tofu roll had been delivered. This was absolutely delicious! The roll was composed of avocado, jicama, quinoa, silken tofu, truffle emulsion and topped with crispy fingerlings. Yum, yum, yum! I chose a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc to enjoy with my sushi.
IMG_2720.JPG
Even though I was pretty full at this point, I knew I couldn't pass on dessert. I chose the Peaches and Cream creme brulee. This was rich creamy custard over a sweet peach compote top with a perfectly caramelized sugar crust. So good!

IMG_2721.JPG
It was about 11:00 when I finished up. After settling my bill, I decided to stroll over to MK and enjoy the last hour or so before the park closed. Nothing like ending a lovely evening on Main St USA!
IMG_2724.JPG

Day 2 totals:
Boardwalk Bakery~ Muffin $3.29 Refillable mug $17.99
Garden Grill Breakfast ~ $31.95
La Cava de Tequila ~ Avocado margarita $14.50
Les Halles ~ Raspberry macaroon $5.75
Ample Hills Creamery ~ $5.79
AbracadaBar ~ Peppers Ghost cocktail $12.00
California Grill ~ Salad, sushi and dessert $51.00
~ Sparkling water, Cucumber fizz and glass of wine $35.50
Food total: $115.77
Bevvies: $62.00
Definitely a splurge filled kind of day!

Last edited:
Enjoying your reviews, looks like such a fun trip
Thank you, it was wonderful! I've really enjoyed your reviews in the past as well. Will you do a review for your upcoming trip? I can't believe your daughter is ten already!

I woke up bright and early after a restless night (too many goodies on Monday) and decided to go resort hopping. I knew a good walk would help me feel better so I headed over to Hollywood Studios along the path.
IMG_2726.JPG
I waited for the POR bus and enjoyed spending a little time exploring this lovely resort. I then hopped over to Disney Springs for some shopping. After hitting up Basin for some lovely bath goodies, I made my way to Cherry Tree Lane to indulge in my latest obsession; a gorgeous new Dooney and Bourke bag! I was feeling hungry after all the walking so decided to pop in to Earl of Sandwich for their bacon, egg and cheddar roll. With an ice water and some fresh grapes on the side, this was a perfect light breakfast.
IMG_2728.JPG

Up next......Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian!

That cucumber fizz sounds really good! DH and I ate at CG for the first time in January. Not bad but not our favorite signature to date; however you can't argue that Wishes from there is breathtaking :cloud9:

Ooh! Which Dooney did you buy??!! I have 3 so far, didn't get a new one last week but am hoping for another on our Nov. trip!

This was the big night I had been planning for.....my special birthday dinner at California Grill! My reservation was for 9:25 so I left the Boardwalk around 8:00 to catch the bus to MK and then stroll over to the Contemporary. I arrived at the Contemporary around 8:50 and spent some time just enjoying the ambiance of the 4th floor area; looking at the gorgeous Mary Blair mural, watching the monorail and browsing at Fantasia. I made my way downstairs and checked in at the podium around 9:15 and was soon being whisked up to the 15th floor in the elevator. My table wasn't quite ready so I took a seat the the bar. After perusing the cocktail menu, I decided to go with a favourite from another Diser @vettegirl, the Cucumber Fizz. I loved this, very refreshing with cucumber water, limoncello and Ciroc vodka.
View attachment 192044
After 5-10 minutes, my table was ready and I was led to a lovely two top beside the window along the back wall. The table was sprinkled with Mickey confetti and had a lovely view towards the lake. Jorges was my server and he was friendly and welcoming. My one complaint is about the upsell here. I like to know exactly what the price difference is if I am making a choice. Jorges asked me if I would prefer still or sparkling water. I chose sparkling thinking they did their own house sparkling, only to find out it was San Pelligrino at $9/bottle! I would have liked to have been informed when he presented the options. Oh well!

Soon my wonderful bread basket arrived and while I didn't bother with the sourdough rolls, I could have happily eaten my weight in the lovely lavender focaccia. This was so soft and paired beautifully with the butter and sea salt. Heavenly!
View attachment 192049
For my meal, I decided to go with the Georgia Peach salad to start and then the Truffle scented tofu roll as my main. When Jorges took my order, he said "Is that it?" which rather upset me. I don't feel it's the server's place to question what a guest chooses to order. I was determined not to let anything mar my evening so I just smiled and said "yes, it is, thank you". I definitely noticed a decline in the service I received after this which wasn't a good move on his part because I tip very well, especially for a special meal like this. I ended up only doing a standard 18% but I would usually tip 25% or more for great service.
The salad itself was good with fresh field greens, quartered peaches, goat cheese. marcona almonds and a tangy dressing. The peaches could have been riper but I will admit to being spoiled with the best peaches available in August in Ontario, it really is hard to compete with how luscious ours are.
View attachment 192053
After finishing my salad, it was time for Wishes! I went out to the observation platform and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my favourite fireworks. It makes me cry every time...I am such a sap! When I came back to the table my tofu roll had been delivered. This was absolutely delicious! The roll was composed of avocado, jicama, quinoa, silken tofu, truffle emulsion and topped with crispy fingerlings. Yum, yum, yum! I chose a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc to enjoy with my sushi.
View attachment 192055
Even though I was pretty full at this point, I knew I couldn't pass on dessert. I chose the Peaches and Cream creme brulee. This was rich creamy custard over a sweet peach compote top with a perfectly caramelized sugar crust. So good!

View attachment 192056
It was about 11:00 when I finished up. After settling my bill, I decided to stroll over to MK and enjoy the last hour or so before the park closed. Nothing like ending a lovely evening on Main St USA!
View attachment 192057

Day 2 totals:
Boardwalk Bakery~ Muffin $3.29 Refillable mug $17.99
Garden Grill Breakfast ~ $31.95
La Cava de Tequila ~ Avocado margarita $14.50
Les Halles ~ Raspberry macaroon $5.75
Ample Hills Creamery ~ $5.79
AbracadaBar ~ Peppers Ghost cocktail $12.00
California Grill ~ Salad, sushi and dessert $51.00
~ Sparkling water, Cucumber fizz and glass of wine $35.50
Food total: $115.77
Bevvies: $62.00
Definitely a splurge filled kind of day!
OMG that creme brulee looks so good. I hate it when servers treat you poorly when you don't order the most expensive thing on the menu. You spent nearly $90 before tax and tip there, you'd think that $18 for an hour or so of service would have been sufficient to motivate him to wait on you properly (I know you would have tipped higher, just rounding to $18). I always worry a bit about this when I travel solo with my kiddo, our bill at CA grill last time was right around $120 with tax and before tip. I know they get bills in the hundreds at bigger tables. This is the place I hear about it most it seems.

However. that creme brulee looks so good

That cucumber fizz sounds really good! DH and I ate at CG for the first time in January. Not bad but not our favorite signature to date; however you can't argue that Wishes from there is breathtaking :cloud9:

Ooh! Which Dooney did you buy??!! I have 3 so far, didn't get a new one last week but am hoping for another on our Nov. trip!

I know what you mean about CG. When my husband and I ate there back in 2009, it was spectacular! This time was good but not outstanding. So far, my favourite signature is Narcoosees although the new Flying Fish is definitely on my must try list along with Artist Point. I loved the cucumber fizz and will definitely try to recreate it at home. My Dooney purchase was the IASW pouchette, I absolutely love it! It's my sixth Dooney in a little over two years, I love them! Which ones do you have?

Great reviews!!!

Thank you! Glad to have you joining in!

OMG that creme brulee looks so good. I hate it when servers treat you poorly when you don't order the most expensive thing on the menu. You spent nearly $90 before tax and tip there, you'd think that $18 for an hour or so of service would have been sufficient to motivate him to wait on you properly (I know you would have tipped higher, just rounding to $18). I always worry a bit about this when I travel solo with my kiddo, our bill at CA grill last time was right around $120 with tax and before tip. I know they get bills in the hundreds at bigger tables. This is the place I hear about it most it seems.

However. that creme brulee looks so good

The creme brulee was SO good! I'm really glad I ordered it. Even though the service wasn't great, I did enjoy my meal. I just wish the CG staff (not all of them) would adjust their attitude towards smaller tables. Are you planning on eating there on your trip?

I know what you mean about CG. When my husband and I ate there back in 2009, it was spectacular! This time was good but not outstanding. So far, my favourite signature is Narcoosees although the new Flying Fish is definitely on my must try list along with Artist Point. I loved the cucumber fizz and will definitely try to recreate it at home. My Dooney purchase was the IASW pouchette, I absolutely love it! It's my sixth Dooney in a little over two years, I love them! Which ones do you have?

Thank you! Glad to have you joining in!

The creme brulee was SO good! I'm really glad I ordered it. Even though the service wasn't great, I did enjoy my meal. I just wish the CG staff (not all of them) would adjust their attitude towards smaller tables. Are you planning on eating there on your trip?
yes, it was my kiddo's top request from our last trip believe it or not! Narcoossees is also on our list. I feel these are the more accessible signatures to families.

Also another dooney nut here. hoping to buy something for myself on my trip. I have 6 "medium" bags and a couple of little tiny ones :)

yes, it was my kiddo's top request from our last trip believe it or not! Narcoossees is also on our list. I feel these are the more accessible signatures to families.

Also another dooney nut here. hoping to buy something for myself on my trip. I have 6 "medium" bags and a couple of little tiny ones :)
Aren't Dooneys awesome? So far I have the white sketch backpack, white sketch wristlet, brown leather sketch LC, white and green tink wristlet, the HM satchel
and my new IASW pouchette. I love them all. I also have my eye on the Tiki room poster bag from Harveys and the white and green Tink LC. But I have to put myself in purse jail or I won't have money for trips! Which one are you hoping to buy?

Aren't Dooneys awesome? So far I have the white sketch backpack, white sketch wristlet, brown leather sketch LC, white and green tink wristlet, the HM satchel
and my new IASW pouchette. I love them all. I also have my eye on the Tiki room poster bag from Harveys and the white and green Tink LC. But I have to put myself in purse jail or I won't have money for trips! Which one are you hoping to buy?
Oh my. I'm a little embarrassed to admit what I have but most of mine are older (and used when purchased). I have the old tonal pattern pocket satchel, the haunted mansion satchel (HM SATCHEL SISTAH! lol I Love it!), the black and white striped fabric one with mickeys on it, the DVC black balloons tote, the 45th anniversary WDW bucket and the old it's a small world tassel tote.... for my "medium" bags. Then I also have some small bags - I have a matched set of castle placement mini barrels from the retro design (WDW and DL) and I have a small sketch blue letter carrier. and a few costmetic cases too :( And don't get me started on harveys.... I LOVE them in bad weather. I have a few of those too. Once you get your first you will need more although I have taken to collecting bows that people make aftermarket of the disney patterns and pinning them onto a plain bag so i don't feel i need to have every bag on the planet. crazy :( and then charms for them all. it is a true addiction.

After returning from a very successful shopping expedition, I took some time to relax before getting ready for my highly anticipated tea at the Garden View Lounge. I set off for the bus and made a huge mistake by getting on the AK bus! I guess I just saw "kingdom" and didn't pay close enough attention. Luckily I had given myself lots of extra time to get there. So I took the scenic route to the Grand via AK and the Poly. Luckily I was right on time for my 2:15 reservation and was soon led to a beautiful two top in the corner. The staff here are extremely lovely and attentive. I was already feeling very pampered!

I knew I was going to go for the Derbyshire Tea which included a glass of Veuve Cliquot champagne along with the tea, sandwiches, scones and dessert. The chef came out to speak with me about my allergies and he was so nice and put my mind at ease. He felt it would be best for me to forgo the pastries and choose the strawberries and cream as my dessert option as it was the safest choice. I was happy to go along with his suggestion. I spent some time looking through the various teas offered and decided upon a delcious apple and elderflower green tea.

My champagne was served first;
IMG_2736.JPG
Next, a beautiful plate of sandwiches, fruit, cheese, lavosh and an onion tart was presented. There was a large slice of Tillamook cheddar, a creamy piece of Havarti, two pieces of lavosh, grapes, raspberries and blueberries, a curried chicken salad, cucumber with boursin cheese, golden beet with goat cheese and egg salad. The onion tart was tiny but utterly perfect. Of the sandwiches, my two most favourite would be the golden beet and the curried chicken. So yummy. They paced the offerings very well and I had plenty of time to sip my champagne and tea and take in the lovely surroundings.
IMG_2735.JPG
Next up was a jam tart and my gorgeous scone with golden raisins. This was served with clotted cream, lemon curd and the yummiest apricot jam. Delectable!
IMG_2738.JPG
I loved the tea cosy on the pots. It kept my tea piping hot throughout the whole experience.
IMG_2737.JPG
For my dessert, I enjoyed the strawberries with cream. This was almost too pretty to eat! I did devour it though and it was delicious.
IMG_2740.JPG
I met a lovely mother/daughter duo sitting a the next table. We chatted through the meal and they were kind enough to take a photo of me at the table.
IMG_2741.JPG
This was the perfect treat and a thoroughly enjoyable way to spend the afternoon. I would highly recommend it! The staff presented me with a beautiful rose on the way out in honour of my birthday celebration.
IMG_2744.JPG

I was still floating after my incredible afternoon tea. I spent a little time listening to the Grand Floridian orchestra before taking the launch over to the MK and back to the Boardwalk. I enjoyed the quiet pool for a bit before I got ready to head over to Epcot for the evening. Upon arriving at Epcot I headed straight to the UK pavilion as I wanted to hear "British Revolution". I popped in to the Rose and Crown pub to pick up a Cider and Black first (Strongbrow cider with a shot of blackcurrant) and headed back to stake out a good seat. This was so fun and the Cider and Black went down quite nicely on a warm evening.

After the show, I strolled around a bit and headed to the front of the park as I knew I wanted a classic shot in front of Spaceship Earth. I stopped in to Starbucks and grabbed my fave, the iced unsweetened Passion tea. I love this drink and it was really refreshing in the heat. I had a FP booked for the prime Illuminations viewing area and really enjoyed watching the show from this vantage point.
IMG_2758.JPG
After the show, I was feeling a bit hungry so decided to go over to La Cantina de San Angel and pick up something to eat. I went with the chicken tacos served with black beans and rice. To be honest I found this rather bland and the tortillas were a bit stale. I ended taking the chicken out of the tortilla and mixed it with the rice. Topped with some salsa verde, this was much more appealing. The black beans were excellent. They had great flavour and texture, I could have made a meal of those alone.
IMG_2765.JPG
I enjoyed poking around World Showcase a bit longer but ultimately decided to head back to my room. I had a date with rope drop at MK in the morning and a plan to do 3 out of 4 parks! I knew I'd need my sleep. :)

I found your reviews, looks like some nice places. I have heard that about CG on another report, when she was alone and ordered just off the app. Menu, her service went way down. They should not do that, we get that sometimes when we share, I didn't notice it at all this past trip so that was nice. The high tea service looks so wonderful.

Thank you for the lovely review of the afternoon tea. My MIL and I have a reservation during our October trip and we are so excited!

I found your reviews, looks like some nice places. I have heard that about CG on another report, when she was alone and ordered just off the app. Menu, her service went way down. They should not do that, we get that sometimes when we share, I didn't notice it at all this past trip so that was nice. The high tea service looks so wonderful.

Thanks for popping over! Yes the high tea was wonderful, a very special experience. I wouldn't take CG out of my rotation as I really enjoyed my food but there are other signatures I'd like to try before heading back there again.

Thank you for the lovely review of the afternoon tea. My MIL and I have a reservation during our October trip and we are so excited!

You are very welcome! I hope you enjoy the tea as much as I did. It was an absolutely wonderful afternoon! :)

Tuesday totals:
Earl of Sandwich ~ bacon, cheddar, egg sandwich and grapes $5.59 + $3.99
Gardenview Lounge ~ Afternoon tea $50.00
Rose and Crown Pub ~ Cider and Black $9.00
La Cantina de San Angel ~ chicken tacos $11.95

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!