cell phones on ships

spoiled_momma

Mouseketeer
Do cell phones work on the ship at all? Or does it depend on your provider or do you have to have one of those satilite phones?

Thanks

"Most" phones will not work once you're out of sight of land or in foreign ports - best to check with your provider. Mine worked in St. Thomas but DWs did'n work untill we returned to Port Canaveral.

All those towers scarring the visual landscape as we drive around have a purpose. We wouldn't have reliable cellular service without them. But they haven't figured out how to cost-effectively build those towers at sea, so there is no cellular service while you're at sea.

Ship-to-shore phone connections (via satellite) exist, but they cost $6.95 a minute even when you're in port. The best best for economical communication while you're at sea is email...

www.dcltribute.com/faq/internetcafe.htm

We were able to use our cell phone in ports sometimes on our 2000 Eastern Car. Cruise. But it wasn't very good at times and it was frustrating trying. They have phone banks at alot of the ports that you pay low rate per minute to call and then when you are done you pay the cashier. We called home for a relatives Birthday, talked for about 15 minutes and it cost $2 maybe. In Florida's ports, you can talk until it sails out a few miles.:smooth:

My bosses were appalled that my cell phone didnt work while I was on the boat! LOL (This is truly the only way I can take a vacation - be in the middle of the ocean with no cell phone towers!!)

My cell phone worked when we were off the coast of some of the islands (my bill said Puerto Rico) and when we were in St Thomas. I did not have service in St Maarten at all nor most of the time at sea. We have SunComm. The good thing is with the plan we have (national roaming) the calls only came off our minutes - no roaming fees.

Check with your cell phone provider for details on your plans.

:D

Come on, Dave, how do you think they get those oil rig platforms out there?

Seriously, I have Sprint PCS and my phone worked on St. Thomas. It only cost me 75 cents a minute to call home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter