Changes coming to Rivers of Light coming Memorial Day weekend

I am also in the minority here who actually liked it, and it is actually my friends favorite show at WDW. We see the new version in September. I am hoping the addition is done tastefully.

I'm confused, why wouldn't the song we are one be used in the show?
I’m talking about the Lion King 2 song. Lion King 2 isn’t a well known movie like the original is. I do think The We Are One from Rivers of Light currently will still be a part of it.

Last edited:
Ah, I haven’t seen the show and didn’t realize that there was a “We are One” theme to it already.

I’d like to change my “surprised” comment to “disappointed.”

I loved RoL with the live actors with the lanterns, and thought they were the best part. Since they have been gone, I figure they may just as well change it completely if bringing them back isn't an option.

Using Disney characters is a good move. I applaud Disney for trying to be creative by just focusing on the animals, but there just weren’t enough WOW! Moments in the show to keep everyone’s interest in the slower parts. I don’t get the people saying, “oh great it’s just going to be another marketing ploy by shoving IP’s down our throats.” Everyone who comes to WDW prob likes some of the characters, or at least knows them. Keeping things familiar will help more people relate to the show and most likely enjoy it more. I wasn’t ever going to see the old version of RoL again, but I’ll see it now.

I have seen it twice, different versions. I will go again to see this new one. The show has not been as good as I hoped it would be.

We loved it the way it was--it was actually my husband's favorite of the nighttime spectacles. We'll be curious to see the changes--and the way it's described I suspect we'll be a little disappointed but my guess is people in general will like it better...

I’m part of the group who like it but didn’t feel the need to watch it again. Now out of curiosity will go again and hopefully we will finally have a grand finale full day at AK.

I've never seen it (only been to WDW once 5 years ago) and so I asked if I needed a FP for ROL because I really didn't want to use one for it and everyone said I should be able to walk up 30 min before the show. That sounded great and then they announced it's changing! Since we don't often get to WDW I'd like too see it at least once, but I don't have high expectations. WOC and F! at DLR are my standard for a good night time show. Do you think we can still walk up? Or will too many people be curious enough to see what it's about?

Haven't seen the current version, and was lukewarm about seeing it in June, but figured I should give it a shot. The new version sounds more like my cup o' tea. Not that I can't appreciate subtlety and sophistication, but I go to WDW to get my Disney on, so including some characters and music that I'm fond of will only sweeten the deal. Picked up a FastPass for it this morning before I even knew about the change, and now I'm glad I did!

We saw it for the first time after the live performers left. I loved the lights and would see it again (and it was DH's favorite thing at AK), but it didn't really have a storyline that I could make out. It was just something pretty to watch. I'm not upset at the idea that they're adding to it, especially since I get the impression that they'll be adding to what's already there rather than significantly changing everything.

I loved the original show, I see it each time we go! I enjoy the whole show and really love the lighted floats, songs and theme.

I do not like Fantasmic, we are just not character people. Blasphemy I know.

I hope that FOL is not going totally going the Fantasmic route.

Sigh.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I really liked Rivers of Light. I think because it feels like a unique creation divorced from the Disney character marketing integration machine. It's like if Cirque du Soleil did the Electrical Water Pageant.

I saw it in late 2017 and my understanding is that the live performers dramatically carrying around the lanterns are no longer part of the show anyway, but I could've watched those people all night.

I love the idea of incorporating some of the characters from the Disneynature documentaries, but incorporating the animated characters is a disappointment. It's understandable and predictable, but unfortunate.

There was just an episode of the Best and Worst of WDW where they talked about the Best Things in AK. The thing I love about AK that didn't make the list is that it feels a bit more adult than the other parks. Between changes to Rivers of Light and the dumbing down of the menu at Tiffins, it just bums me out a little that everything has to be lowest common denominator, but I guess that's what it means to run a business.
When did they stop using the live performers? we were there in May 2018 but did not see them. I just assumed that is was because there were heavy rains while we watched the show. Was hoping to see them this past weekend when weather was perfect but no live performers to be seen.

I don’t get the people saying, “oh great it’s just going to be another marketing ploy by shoving IP’s down our throats.” Everyone who comes to WDW prob likes some of the characters, or at least knows them. Keeping things familiar will help more people relate to the show and most likely enjoy it more. I wasn’t ever going to see the old version of RoL again, but I’ll see it now.

I don't feel as strongly about it as that but I do treasure some of the IP free space at Disney. I think part of it is that sometimes the putting in of IP on existing attractions is very poorly done (the Up Show for example). When they add in or create new attractions with IP and still assume they need to do a good job with those attractions, I think it's great. But sometimes I think they slap in a Disney character thinking everyone will love it even if they don't spend any time making it good.

I'm also leery of new IP in AK specifically because Igor (sic) totally slammed EE because it doesn't have IP and he doesn't like the theme. That makes me nervous for AK because its consistent theme is one thing that makes it a lovely park for me (and many others based on the thread about it).

I liked ROL. I thought it was beautiful. I don't understand the complaint that it doesn't have a story. To me it has as much story as Wishes did (I never really got the Wishes story). But they have to do something. ROL is not appealing to enough people so that needs fixing. I just hope they fix it in a way that's coherent and make sense and keeps the truly beautiful elements they have.

We were there in March 2018 for Spring Break. I believe there were live performers with the lanterns walking around at the beginning of the show. Our family thought ROL was okay. But it wasn’t something we had to see again. Now with this update, I’m contemplating adding this to our plans this summer. I’m anxious to see the reviews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter