Changes in last two years

StephPlum

DIS Veteran
I haven’t been back to Universal for two years and I haven’t been reading here during that time to stay on top of changes. We’ll be heading there in 3 weeks, just me and DS. Staying at RPR for 2 nights and SF for the last night. DS has fall break (Thu-Sun). Unfortunately, I didn’t realize Columbus Day was the following Monday so it looks to be on the busy side.

I have read the threads on Hagrid’s ride but looking for other changes. I saw a thread on locker changes. Normally I just have my lanyard and popcorn bucket. Sounds like that popcorn bucket may cause me problems.

Most rides now have lockers you need to pay for? Right? Any other changes I need to be aware of - boat taxi, security lines, EP... thanks

We were just there about three weeks ago, and my FIL had a popcorn bucket. He was able to fit it in the free, small lockers but he had to squish it a bit and put it on its side. We never paid for a locker and went on everything but we only had the popcorn bucket one day.

Take advantage of the hotel guests early entry to the designated park

Columbus Day weekend will have large crowds

I think the Jimmy NY ride, Fast and the Furious, and Kong rides are all less than 2 years old. Many people don’t like them though, especially the last two. Terminator is permanently closed. The night show at Universal is completely different. The current projection show on Hogwarts is new- started last night I think, Dark Arts theme. Minions is now 2D. The track on Hulk was refurbished. Butterbeer prices have gone up to a ridiculous $8, for cold and frozen. Some Citywalk restaurants have been replaced. Bigfire is the newest one. The new tiny lockers (and normal size paid ones) use your pass to open them so a lanyard is a good idea.

Take advantage of the hotel guests early entry to the designated park

Columbus Day weekend will have large crowds
Thanks. We (well mostly me!) are normally early folks and break for the pool after lunch. Hopefully DS can get up early as well.

I think the Jimmy NY ride, Fast and the Furious, and Kong rides are all less than 2 years old. Many people don’t like them though, especially the last two. Terminator is permanently closed. The night show at Universal is completely different. The current projection show on Hogwarts is new- started last night I think, Dark Arts theme. Minions is now 2D. The track on Hulk was refurbished. Butterbeer prices have gone up to a ridiculous $8, for cold and frozen. Some Citywalk restaurants have been replaced. Bigfire is the newest one. The new tiny lockers (and normal size paid ones) use your pass to open them so a lanyard is a good idea.
Jimmy Fallon and Kong were all there the last time I was there but think it was the first year they were open. I actually really like the Kong ride and try to ride at least twice so that I can get both sides of the truck for the different views!. Jimmy F was just ok for me but I don't watch the show and that might have contributed to my lack of excitement. Fast and Furious will be new to me.

I just don't know if I think Minions will be good 2D, I loved the 3D of that. What do people think?

I definitely will put the castle projection on our list. I saw it at Christmas 2 years ago and it was amazing.

I'll just have to suck it up and pay for the butterbeer (frozen of course)! But those prices are ridiculous.

Thanks for the updates.

We carried a large backpack and drink cups around the parks. The days we had too much stuff to fit in one locker, we just rented two small ones and squished the bookbag down enough to fit. You just have to have two park tickets.

Personally, I love the Jimmy Fallon and King Kong rides but have no love for F&F. The queue theming is really good for F&F but the ride is abysmal.

The Minion ride has gone from 3d to 2d and reviews are not positive. There is lots of construction going on in the JP area. Hagrid is without a doubt worth the wait.

Can't remember when but they did add metal detectors at the hotel boat docks and hotel entrance at City Walk next to Margaritaville. Doesn't take long just be prepared to empty your pockets.

Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter