Changing 2 bedroom lock-off for 1 bedroom?

dreamlinda

"dance to the music in your heart"
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Hi - I am planning a trip for May 2020. We have a 2 bedroom lock-off, the studio portion will be used by friends. I have a concern they are going to wig out on us and not go. Does anyone know if you can give up the studio side of the reservation, keep the one bedroom and not lose the reservation?
 

Deb & Bill

DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
Joined
Mar 20, 2000
They are not supposed to allow this, but a few members have gotten what you are asking. I'd ask them to pony up something to make it harder for them to "wig out". If they don't have anything invested in the deal, it's easy to walk from it.
 

Sandisw

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
I tried to do this once and was not allowed. Now, this was for an October reservation about 3 years ago. More recently, as already shared, MS has done this for a few so there will be no harm in trying.

IMO, this shouldn’t be allowed. If it’s booked as a 2 bedroom, then a cancelation should be as a 2 bedroom.
 
  • dreamlinda

    "dance to the music in your heart"
    Joined
    Mar 5, 2008
    I tried to do this once and was not allowed. Now, this was for an October reservation about 3 years ago. More recently, as already shared, MS has done this for a few so there will be no harm in trying.

    IMO, this shouldn’t be allowed. If it’s booked as a 2 bedroom, then a cancelation should be as a 2 bedroom.
    My thinking was how much someone might appreciate getting a studio that was not occupied.
     

    dreamlinda

    "dance to the music in your heart"
    Joined
    Mar 5, 2008
    They are not supposed to allow this, but a few members have gotten what you are asking. I'd ask them to pony up something to make it harder for them to "wig out". If they don't have anything invested in the deal, it's easy to walk from it.
    It is not the money or points that concerns me, it is 2 people in a 2 bedroom which just seems greedy when I am sure there is someone who would like the studio. Not that I am totally altruistic, points are a wonderful thing to have :-)
     

    Sandisw

    Moderator
    Moderator
    Joined
    Nov 15, 2008
    My thinking was how much someone might appreciate getting a studio that was not occupied.
    Yes, I do understand that part. I just think that if they begin to allow this, then those that really want a 2 bedroom and put in a WL for it, will have an even harder time because people could just book a 2 bedroom without having to worry that down the road that they will be stuck with a larger size room.

    Of course, in my case, when I wasn't allowed to switch it, I ended up keeping it because it was at BWV for F & W and that is where I wanted to stay. So, we had 3 in a 2 bedroom which was certainly overkill. But my only other option would have been to cancel and end up at SSR, which we certainly did not want to do!

    My only thing is inconsistently...decide on a policy and go with it! Good luck in whatever way it works for you!!!!
     

    BillPA

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Sep 7, 1999
    You could book a 1 BR and a studio and have MS note traveling together on both reservations. It will cost some extra points but you can drop the studio easily.
     

    T-i-double-guh-er

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Jul 16, 2019
    My thinking is people that want a hard to get studio will just book an easier to get two bedroom lockoff with the intention of dropping the one bedroom. If there is a way to exploit the system, it will be exploited.
    To book the 2br lockoff, the studio must also be available to book, so they could just book that instead. I guess there could be an advantage with waitlisting?
     

    Sandisw

    Moderator
    Moderator
    Joined
    Nov 15, 2008
    To book the 2br lockoff, the studio must also be available to book, so they could just book that instead. I guess there could be an advantage with waitlisting?
    I think if this becomes policy, it will make getting a 2 bedroom lock off from a waitlist much harder. It also might make getting a 2 bedroom harder since people could book one, knowing they don’t need both parts and decide closer to the trip which one to give up.

    To me, it’s why I said if it’s booked as a 2 bedroom, then any cancellations should cancel it as a 2 bedroom.
     

    Lady Hiss

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Jun 14, 2000
    I'm in the same situation - fingers crossed that our friends won't cancel. If they do, we'll probably keep the 2 BR rather than have to change resorts. I'll feel guilty about it knowing someone might've liked the studio though.
     

    Chuck S

    DVC Co-Moderator
    Moderator
    Joined
    Feb 6, 2000
    I see both sides. On one hand, It is nice to be able to keep one side and release the other for some other member to use. On the other hand, think of the member who may have been trying to book a studio or one bedroom for months, and none were available. Neither is completely fair. I have had people cancel on me once, for serious and unexpected medical issues, and was allowed to split it. But it was a few months prior to travel, off season, and at OKW...so some of each unit may have still been available.
     

    kniquy

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Dec 15, 2014
    I have a concern they are going to wig out on us and not go. Does anyone know if you can give up the studio side of the reservation, keep the one bedroom and not lose the reservation?
    First off if you think they are going to "wig out" then make them pay something for their room. It is nice and all to invite people along but if someone joining you is going to cost more points than you would normally need they should contribute something. This way they will need to commit to going and tell them it is helping to cover the cost of the extra points you are using. Timeshares are not free but often people think that they are.

    If you needed to change the 2BR to a 1 BR then they would have to cancel the reservation and book as a 1BR if it was available. If someone has a waitlist for a studio, 1BR or 2BR the waitlist might nab that room before you can re-book. Leaving you with nothing.

    If there are rooms still available then i would look at trying to just book a 1BR and studio and let them know that you will have to cancel their room by X date if they don't pay or commit to go. Hopefully you are not borrowing points to make this happen so at least if you have to cancel their room and you are in your banking window you can save your points.
     

    Donna M

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Aug 8, 2008
    Call or chat with MS, they have the answer you need. I personally think you should be able to do it, but don't know if you can. You have the one bedroom section reserved, so if you no longer need the studio it should be able to be released to some happy camper waitlisting. It's not like you can predict the future, you may still need the 2 bd. I'm thinking we did it, and they said if it's a lockoff it works, but they couldn't change it to a one bedroom if a regular 2 bd was reserved.
     

    Connect

    Disney News and Updates

    Get Daily Email Updates

    Subscribe to the DVCstore.com
    mailing list!

    BUY DVC


    SELL DVC


    DVC POINT CHARTS


    DIS PODCASTS

    Top