Changing Resorts... tipping

vascubaguy

DIS Veteran
I'm going to be staying at BWV for the first week of my visit and then transfer to another resort (not sure exactly where at this point...). I know that Disney will move your luggage for you for free but I was wondering if tipping is expected for this service. I know if you use the bell hop to take it to your room, but I was wondering about if it was just to relocate to another resort. And if you do tip, do you tip the person you give the luggage to, or who you pick it up from at the new resort, or both?

Also, if I end up staying at the Swan or Dolphin, will Disney move luggage there too? Right now I'm hoping for YC or BC, maybe CSR but it all depends on where works says I have to stay.

Thanks

Excellent question! I'm not sure of the answer, but we always tip anyone who even looks at our baggage, just in case. I guess we feel guilty about stiffing anyone, so we probably overtip. It would be nice if we got a "tipping" sheet at check-in to notify us when and where tips are expected.

I don't know if they will move your luggage to a non-Disney resort, but I've never stayed at the S&D, so I don't know that for sure either. Maybe someone else can chime in with their experiences.

Good luck!

The way I see it, you are checking out of the resort, so you should tip the bell service. Then you are checking in to a new resort, so you should tip the bell service. As far as what the bell people are doing, when you check out it doesn't matter if you are going to another disney resort, to an airplane home, or to the beach, you are still checking out and what they do is the same. Think of it as two separate stays.

I tipped both ends, $1 per bag at the old and new resort. We aren't very good at this tipping thing in the UK, so it would be great if others could confirm I did the right thing!

Miffy,

You are correct. $1 per bag at both ends is a great rule of thumb. If they go out of their way (or if the bags are super heavy or cumbersome), more is appropriate. If they don't meet your needs, or if anything is wrong, than less is appropriate.

We tip $1 or $2 (anything large or heavy) per bag at each end. We figure the CM who comes to our room to pick it up and get it on its way has earned a tip. The same with the CM who receives it at the new resort and brings it up to our new room.

JimC said:
We tip $1 or $2 (anything large or heavy) per bag at each end. We figure the CM who comes to our room to pick it up and get it on its way has earned a tip. The same with the CM who receives it at the new resort and brings it up to our new room.

What if we drop off our bags at the counter rather than having them pickup the bags in our room?

From a web sight on tipping

At the hotel
Before you arrive at a nicer hotel or resort, inquire as to whether gratuities are included in the price of the room. Some hotels are now charging a daily fee that covers all tipping for hotel services. If there is not a daily fee, these rates are appropriate:

Valet or parking attendant - $1-3 is appropriate for parking or returning the car. It is not necessary to tip for parking, but always for returning the car.

Doorman - If he hails you a cab, $1-2. If he helps you with your bags in or out of the car, $0.50-1 a bag. Use $1-2 per bag if he carries them all the way to the room. If he just opens the door, nothing. If he is exceptionally helpful with directions or restaurant recommendations, same as concierge.

Bellman - When he helps you with your bags, tip $1-2 per bag. Give him the tip when he shows you your room. If he just carries the bags to the front desk and then disappears, save it for the person who carries the bags to your room. Upon checkout, tip a bellman who helps with your bags. Tip more for additional services.

Concierge - $5-10 for help with hard-to-get dinner reservations or theater tickets. Tipping is optional for just plain advice. Tipping can be done at the end of the trip or at the time of service, just keep is straight so that you are fair.

Room Service - If gratuity is included, add nothing or $1. Otherwise add 15-20% to the total charge.

Delivery of special items - If you request extra pillows or an iron, tip $1 per item received, minimum $2.

Maid service - $1-3 per day. Tip daily because there might be a different maid each day. Leave the tip on your pillow. Err on the side of being generous, and tip on the last day also.

Swimming pool or gym attendant - Nothing, unless you require special services such as extra seating or inflating pool toys; then it is $2-5. If you want the same deck chairs every day, then tip $2-3 per chair beginning the first day.

Hotel staff - Nothing to replace a light bulb, fix the air conditioning, etc.

vascubaguy said:
What if we drop off our bags at the counter rather than having them pickup the bags in our room?

Then I would still tip. They are dong more than just storing the luggage (such as when you check in to the resort). While I might make an argument for tipping less because they did less -- the $ difference is nothing in the overall cost of our vacations and tips are very meaningful to the CMs -- I would probably just tip the same amount.

How much would you tip if you pulled up at the Boardwalk Villas and had the following: 4 small (carry-on size) suitcases, 1 large cooler, two medium storage tubs with groceries, 2 laptop computers and as always 2 or 3 small things to hang on the luggage carrier. How much would you tip the bellman out front who removes it from your car and takes it into storage? This person also valets the car. Then how much do you tip the bellman that ends up bringing your luggage, etc. to your room?

KennySC said:
How much would you tip if you pulled up at the Boardwalk Villas and had the following: 4 small (carry-on size) suitcases, 1 large cooler, two medium storage tubs with groceries, 2 laptop computers and as always 2 or 3 small things to hang on the luggage carrier. How much would you tip the bellman out front who removes it from your car and takes it into storage? This person also valets the car. Then how much do you tip the bellman that ends up bringing your luggage, etc. to your room?

Okay, this just sounds like MY luggage! With maybe a bit more stuff, such as extra pillows and a small comforter we use in the car and the stuffed animal we carry for my daughter to sleep with and a couple of bags of stuff I've picked up while shopping at the outlets on the way to Disney. We HAVE to bring it all in. Wait - I forgot the reading material plus the brochures from the welcome centers along the way.....sad but true ...I am not kidding here. We drive and we bring too much stuff but I can't help it and don't want to. I tip the guy who unloads a $5 or more, depending on whether he has to load one cart or two. Then we get the valet part when we retrieve the car. Next we get the stuff to the room and maybe there are 15 pieces of stuff so I figure $15 but who has change so they get a $20. I don't care...I'm on vacation and I can afford it, plus most at the resorts are not 'career' bell hops like at some hotels I visit - they usually look like college kids, and I don't mind donating to the cause. I know - there are a few who've been doing it for years - I've seen them at the Poly,etc and they usually give me great service and I'm not about to lug all this stuff myself. Heck if they just smile at me I'm likely to tip em!

Just to answer the second part of the question, Disney will move your luggage to the Swan & Dolphin. They moved mine from SSR to the Swan last month. The Dolphin would not move my luggage to the Boardwalk for me, however.

Karen

KennySC said:

We're not quite as generous as the last person who responded, so to even things out -here's what we do...

1st bellman empties car (our load is very similar to yours) onto rolling cart and takes car - $5 (The cart ends up at the bellman stand or in storage while we check in.)

2nd bellman brings the cart up to our room and unloads it - $5

I guess I'm either using a $.50 per bag guide, or splitting the $1 per bag guide in two installments. Does that make sense?

Valet - $2-3 when our car is brought to us.

BTW - please let me know if I'm figuring this out wrong and ending up being cheap!! :confused3

Sorry this was not for OP's original question, but that's what we would also do for a change of rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter