Character meals/interaction for solo adults questions

brad813

DIS Veteran
How many character meals and character interactions would you suggest for a solo adult on a four day trip, and what is the best approach as not to interfere with families? I know I have certain characters that are high priority for me(Jack and Sally, Star Wars characters), but need to find a strategy for the rest.

Honestly, I would do as many as you want. I have my first solo trip planned/booked for the end of August for 5 days. I am booking lots of dining reservations (deluxe dining). I have never dined solo at WDW so this will be a new experience. Hopefully, I won't be uncomfortable. I am reminding myself this is an expensive trip and why wouldn't I eat where I want. People don't know if I am travelling with someone and that person wasn't able to eat with me at that particular meal.

I don't have any character meals planned. This isn't a priority for me but if I saw a character I wanted a photo with and there wasn't a long line, I may do it. I'm planning on attending MNSSHP and there sounds like a lot of photo opportunities. But, I don't think I'd stand in line for a long time (personal choice).

Honestly, I would do as many as you want. I have my first solo trip planned/booked for the end of August for 5 days. I am booking lots of dining reservations (deluxe dining). I have never dined solo at WDW so this will be a new experience. Hopefully, I won't be uncomfortable. I am reminding myself this is an expensive trip and why wouldn't I eat where I want. People don't know if I am travelling with someone and that person wasn't able to eat with me at that particular meal.

I don't have any character meals planned. This isn't a priority for me but if I saw a character I wanted a photo with and there wasn't a long line, I may do it. I'm planning on attending MNSSHP and there sounds like a lot of photo opportunities. But, I don't think I'd stand in line for a long time (personal choice).

For MNSSHP, my big one is Jack and Sally. I grew up with Nightmare. This is my first trip into the theme parks and second Disney trip over all(last trip was an impromptu water park day), so character photos are important to me, at least for this trip. I have four days planned at the end of September with my MNSSHP on 9/24.

My mom is my travel buddy and we do at least one character meal a trip but I'm the one doing most of the interacting. I usually ask something about how a sidekick is doing to gauge the character. I also always have something for them to sign in case I need a prop to get me through. Sometimes it's just smile for the camera. In my experience though, even the non-talking characters are fun.

My mom is my travel buddy and we do at least one character meal a trip but I'm the one doing most of the interacting. I usually ask something about how a sidekick is doing to gauge the character. I also always have something for them to sign in case I need a prop to get me through. Sometimes it's just smile for the camera. In my experience though, even the non-talking characters are fun.

Same here. My December trip will be my mother and me, but the September one is a solo trip. Looking at options for character meals now, including Mickey's Backyard BBQ(will be camping at Fort Wilderness, and even though it is food I could get at home, it is a nice way to relax on arrival day). Also looking at the Halloween seasonal meal at Hollywood and Vine

Character interactions - as many as you want! Sometimes I'm in the mood or its been awhile - and I'll do as many as 4-5 in one day. For a four day trip - I usually FP at least one - maybe two. I often pick either the Character Outpost at AK or Character Spot at EPCOT. Sometimes I FP Mickey at Town Square. And I often wait in the standby line at Pete's Silly Side Show as those lines tend to be short. I prefer "non-people" character meets as a solo. I recommend BB-8 and Chewie for SW fans. Kylo Ren was meh.

Character interactions at MNSSHP - If you want Jack and Sally - pay careful attention to when their line is starting - and assume it will take a couple hours. I probably would not do another character interaction IF YOU ARE DOING THIS ONE doing this one during the party - as it takes a lot of time. In general - I limit myself to one interaction during the party. The lines are just too long and I have other things I want to do.

Character meals - in four days for a solo - if you have never done a character meal - or simply really want to do one - I'd suggest just one. At these - to get photos - you either need to make friends with the family next to you or hope the handler or a service staff person is around. I've had great luck at these if the family next to me is willing to adopt you - but I'm female - that might make that easier. I did have a good one with just the character handler and my server one time - but other times - it can feel awkward to find someone to take your photo. I'd risk this at Tusker House just because I love to eat there and I'd be okay with the character stuff doesn't work out. And if you did a princess meal - you could probably get selfies. For me - I'd never consider Princess meals or Cape May or Cinderella's Royal Table solo. I have to admit though - just to see the princes - I'm thinking about the relatively new one that has those (someplace on the BW).

If you love SW and are going solo - you could consider the SW Dessert Party. You'll meet other fans who will be happy to chat, can do the character meetings then, and it saves waiting outside to get a great spot for the viewing. Though - I think the dessert choices are meh at this one. A couple of the alcoholic drinks were great - but I can't drink much at one time. IF you aren't driving and can hold your alcohol well..... this one might be good for you. I chatted with a couple of fellow fan girls (about 20 years younger than me!) and a older couple (mid 60s) when I went. Saw the two girls the next day and we happen to end up chatting again in line at MK a couple of times. Their touring plan really lined up with mine - it was funny! There were a couple of solo guys at the dessert party I went to - but they weren't the strike up the conversation types. I think I was the only solo female.

Character interactions - as many as you want! Sometimes I'm in the mood or its been awhile - and I'll do as many as 4-5 in one day. For a four day trip - I usually FP at least one - maybe two. I often pick either the Character Outpost at AK or Character Spot at EPCOT. Sometimes I FP Mickey at Town Square. And I often wait in the standby line at Pete's Silly Side Show as those lines tend to be short. I prefer "non-people" character meets as a solo. I recommend BB-8 and Chewie for SW fans. Kylo Ren was meh.

Character interactions at MNSSHP - If you want Jack and Sally - pay careful attention to when their line is starting - and assume it will take a couple hours. I probably would not do another character interaction IF YOU ARE DOING THIS ONE doing this one during the party - as it takes a lot of time. In general - I limit myself to one interaction during the party. The lines are just too long and I have other things I want to do.

Character meals - in four days for a solo - if you have never done a character meal - or simply really want to do one - I'd suggest just one. At these - to get photos - you either need to make friends with the family next to you or hope the handler or a service staff person is around. I've had great luck at these if the family next to me is willing to adopt you - but I'm female - that might make that easier. I did have a good one with just the character handler and my server one time - but other times - it can feel awkward to find someone to take your photo. I'd risk this at Tusker House just because I love to eat there and I'd be okay with the character stuff doesn't work out. And if you did a princess meal - you could probably get selfies. For me - I'd never consider Princess meals or Cape May or Cinderella's Royal Table solo. I have to admit though - just to see the princes - I'm thinking about the relatively new one that has those (someplace on the BW).

If you love SW and are going solo - you could consider the SW Dessert Party. You'll meet other fans who will be happy to chat, can do the character meetings then, and it saves waiting outside to get a great spot for the viewing. Though - I think the dessert choices are meh at this one. A couple of the alcoholic drinks were great - but I can't drink much at one time. IF you aren't driving and can hold your alcohol well..... this one might be good for you. I chatted with a couple of fellow fan girls (about 20 years younger than me!) and a older couple (mid 60s) when I went. Saw the two girls the next day and we happen to end up chatting again in line at MK a couple of times. Their touring plan really lined up with mine - it was funny! There were a couple of solo guys at the dessert party I went to - but they weren't the strike up the conversation types. I think I was the only solo female.

Trattoria al forno is the new character breakfast on the boardwalk. I will probably do most character meals as lunches, since almost every dish Disney serves for breakfast has eggs, and I don't eat them due to an allergy I outgrew. I never acquired the taste. Jack and Sally is my big one, and I will get that in at 5PM, and from there I will probably just see how the lines are for other characters. As far as SW characters, Kylo Ren wasn't even a real villain......more like a wannabe Sith in his terrible twos. The character should have been better written. I will probably be taking transportation to Hollywood Studios, since I am staying on property and it is my first full park day. I do have the Star Wars Dessert Party already on the menu(sorry, chef humor), but I can hold my liquor quite well(I am a mix of seven different drinking peoples(English, Irish, Scot, German, French, Cherokee, and Romany(Sinti specifically)), and know I can walk in a straight line after 20 drinks, for 12 Miami blocks. Long story on that, but given the cost of the party is $69, two or three drinks and some snacking would pretty much cover my costs, after you take off the cost of the mug.

"wannbe Sith in his terrible twos"

Yep - that sums it up.

It just wasn't up to par, and that is overlooking the juvenile antics of Finn. I honestly think it was aimed at kids and teenagers. I always like the droids best anyway. Doing MNSSHP as a Gray Jedi type character, custom lightsaber and all. Even making my own all in one tunic(basically a shirt with the tunic sewed on.....layers without the layers).

I've done a couple of solo trips now, and am working on planning my 2018 solo trip.

It depends how much time you want to spend in line waiting on characters, but if it's just yourself, you're not on anyone else's schedule so do what you're happy with.

Last trip I lucked out and got 3rd in line with Baloo and Kine Louie at AK. They were great. I also had a great experience with Beast after Dinner at Be our Guest.

I agree with previous posters that it can be tricky to do character meals solo but I've found that if I offer to take a full family photo of the table before me, they are always more than happy to take a picture for me when the characters come my way. I've also mentioned to my server at Crystal Palace that I'm solo but really want a photo with Eeyore and they've always managed to be in the area when Eeyore came around to take a picture for me.

Do whatever your heart desires on your trip, enjoy the solo time and there is always someone around to help with pictures, all you have to do is ask.

I've done a couple of solo trips now, and am working on planning my 2018 solo trip.

It depends how much time you want to spend in line waiting on characters, but if it's just yourself, you're not on anyone else's schedule so do what you're happy with.

Last trip I lucked out and got 3rd in line with Baloo and Kine Louie at AK. They were great. I also had a great experience with Beast after Dinner at Be our Guest.

I agree with previous posters that it can be tricky to do character meals solo but I've found that if I offer to take a full family photo of the table before me, they are always more than happy to take a picture for me when the characters come my way. I've also mentioned to my server at Crystal Palace that I'm solo but really want a photo with Eeyore and they've always managed to be in the area when Eeyore came around to take a picture for me.

Do whatever your heart desires on your trip, enjoy the solo time and there is always someone around to help with pictures, all you have to do is ask.

I am finding that simply finding character meals with food to my liking is difficult. There are few characters I would wait in line for, aside from SW characters. I know Jack and Sally will be at MNSSHP, and have heard Genie will be as well. Having grown up in Disney's second golden age in the 80s and 90s, those tend to be my favorite characters, aside from the classic fur characters. I'm one of those people that never quit believing the magic or fairy tales. That said, if a child is directly behind me, they go first. I have a niece of my own and would always put her first, so why would I do less for other children.

Let your server know that you need someone to take your photo, and they'll be sure they're around. I've found that I kinda have to signal the characters over, otherwise they might see lack of children and keep walking.

Photopass photographers will take a photo with your camera, and they'll tell you wear to put your bags etc so they're safe and out of the photo.

Let your server know that you need someone to take your photo, and they'll be sure they're around. I've found that I kinda have to signal the characters over, otherwise they might see lack of children and keep walking.

Photopass photographers will take a photo with your camera, and they'll tell you wear to put your bags etc so they're safe and out of the photo.

Will do. I just want a couple quick photos is all. No intent to take time from kids.

You have every right to enjoy yourself jus as much as families do so I say do what you please. My character meets are really not planned and if I happen to be walking by a character with no one in line I will asks the cast member to take our photo. As for character meals I've done several only because I wanted to dine at that particular restaurant and I will asks the cast member to seat me away from everyone else but not too far from the action.

You have every right to enjoy yourself jus as much as families do so I say do what you please. My character meets are really not planned and if I happen to be walking by a character with no one in line I will asks the cast member to take our photo. As for character meals I've done several only because I wanted to dine at that particular restaurant and I will asks the cast member to seat me away from everyone else but not too far from the action.

I know, but I understand what it means to a child, so I will always defer to a child due to a kind heart(and having an 8 year old niece). That said, I feel a few photos is reasonable enough, for me at least. Picking my planned interactions carefully and anything else is icing on the cake.

I was once last in line for Belle at Epcot and she spent a lot of time talking to me about books and my travel companions. The photopass photographer also took a lot of different pics of us and my travel partners that were waiting on the sidelines.

I had no problem having families around me or handlers take pictures with my meetings. Enjoy!

You should do as many as you want. Enjoy yourself you have as much right as the next person in line for a few photos

As many as you would like! I went one year with my grandparents (both 70 at the time and I was 20) during Chirstmas time and we had an absolute blast. We even went to the princess dining at Epcot in Norway. I mostly did the talking and my grandpa would take a picture or two but the cast members are great about taking pictures if you're soloing. I would go off and meet characters while they rested for awhile and CM and even families didn't mind taking pictures at all.

I remember one time during that trip that we had done everything at EPCOT and had like 2 hours before we needed to head back so i decided why not wait in line for Meet and Greet for Elsa and Anna. And this was the year frozen had just come out I believe in November and it was December so I still hadn't seen the movie yet. I ended up making friends with the family in front of me and made the hour wait fly by bc they told me all about Frozen which was great when I got up to talk to Anna and Elsa.

Another cool thing I did that year was I asked the Face characters to do like a 30 sec video for friends and family back home that wish they were here. Again it was Christmas, so I got a lot of Happy Holidays, stay warm, etc. but some of them made it really special like Tink asked where I was from which was Texas at the time and she goes, "Wow I hear it's big over there!" or Elsa saying, "Hello everyone from the Kingdom of Texas." It was a great sovenior to bring back home and show everyone. I work at a hospital and have to start IVs on children sometimes and I'll let them watch Jack Sparrow or Belle or Merida tell them hello and hope you are having a great day to distract them from "big pinch".

You should do as many as you want. Enjoy yourself you have as much right as the next person in line for a few photos
That is what I want to tell families all the time when I am interacting with the characters. Do they not understand I enjoy the characters just as much as they do? And their children are not as important as everyone else in line? Someone finally sees that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter