Character Pictures during the race

DisneyMountainWoman

DIS Veteran
This will be my first time doing a Disney run. We will be at the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Weekend doing the 10k. How many Character pics spots are there normally? Can you stop at each one and no worried about getting sweeped? What is a good pace we should try for to make sure we can stop at each character for a pic? Thanks!

I think at last years Disneyland 10k there were 5 spots maybe, I stopped at them all I think. They are only in the parks at Disneyland. You can see in my trip report below to get an idea how it goes. The characters do rotate out usually so you may not get the same one as people running ahead or behind you.

I started in corral A for the 10k so that was a benefit as the lines weren't too long when I got to them, maybe 4-8 people ahead of me at each one. I ran fast for me between each one. So, if you're pace is already well below the 16mm you could stop for each one and not worry, but if you are running slower than you will have to pick and choose. Just keep track of your pace as you go and don't pause your watch/phone during stops. I finished in 1:02, so that was right on a 10mm. Lines get longer as more corrals get released too so if you are starting farther back you'll probably have longer waits in the 10k. I know some people stop for all and come in right under the 16mm or avoid the sweepers, so it really just depends on how fast you can run in between the stops to keep that pace under. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The number and locations of the character pictures are subject to change each year, so there's no way to 100% be prepared for them. As @cavepig said, the characters at Disneyland races are only in the parks, so that is something to keep in mind.

It is absolutely possible that you can get swept though. If you have a watch you use for running, make sure to start that when you start running, and make sure any auto-pause features are turned off so that you can monitor your time and pace accurately during the race.

Good info already provided by @cavepig and @Ariel484.

We did DDD last year but definitely stopped for more photo ops during the 10k than the half.
We stopped for character photos just inside Carsland at Luigi's Tire, got two different characters by the theater in California Adventure Park (luckily they switched places right in front of us) , in front of It's a Small World at DL (there were 2 photo ops there) and just past the Haunted Mansion at DL. I think there might have been one or two more stops that we didn't hit because lines were too long.

We also took pics with the trolley, Mickey and Walt statue, the Castle, Flo's Diner, Haunted Mansion (looks really cool all decked out for Halloween) and the best pic of the trip was in front of the Mickey Wheel.

We started in Corral B, made plenty of stops for pics and even restrooms, waited in medium length lines, and still had plenty of time to finish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!