Check your room charges! We were overcharged by $300+ !!

This is why we don’t put a card on our room. We use gift cards for all purchases. Even with the new policy you don’t HAVE to. I checked in yesterday and they asked if I wanted to put a card on my account and I told them no. I don’t use online check in anymore because they make you and automatically charge $100 24 hours before you check in. I pay for my entire reservation with gift cards so they don’t even have a card on file to charge. Then when I check out I can pay parking and see what they are charging and pay with a gift card again so there’s no SURPRISE charges.

This is why we don’t put a card on our room. We use gift cards for all purchases. Even with the new policy you don’t HAVE to. I checked in yesterday and they asked if I wanted to put a card on my account and I told them no. I don’t use online check in anymore because they make you and automatically charge $100 24 hours before you check in. I pay for my entire reservation with gift cards so they don’t even have a card on file to charge. Then when I check out I can pay parking and see what they are charging and pay with a gift card again so there’s no SURPRISE charges.

This x 1000

We use GCs/cash and ONE credit card to keep it simple. No charging back to the room. It’s much easier to track this way IMO. I also think if we charged to our room we’d spend a little more frivolously.

I should have checked our bill but didn't but our issue was the opposite. I got home and 6 weeks later I got 1000 bill from Disney in the mail for our tips at restaurants that I used my band for. They screwed up and didn't record it properly. I could charge on my band all day long but it wasn't hitting my Disney Visa. Now they did apologize and even ate about $200 of the total. But totally something I was not looking for after getting back.

Happened to us last month. We had 5 ADR's we ended up canceling more than 24 hours in advance, and we were charged $10 per person for each one of them. I'd like to think it's a technical glitch, but even if it is, that doesn't give me a great deal of faith in their systems. I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but I read somewhere that Disney's whole computer infrastructure is very antiquated. They have a very slow website and we've all seen how glitchy MDE can be. I think it's just poor IT all the way around.

Happened to us last month. We had 5 ADR's we ended up canceling more than 24 hours in advance, and we were charged $10 per person for each one of them. I'd like to think it's a technical glitch, but even if it is, that doesn't give me a great deal of faith in their systems. I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but I read somewhere that Disney's whole computer infrastructure is very antiquated. They have a very slow website and we've all seen how glitchy MDE can be. I think it's just poor IT all the way around.

We had ADRs that I cancelled probably a month before our trip, they no longer showed in MDE, but I got an email confirmation for them the day before. I had to call to cancel them again.

Also, my room at a Hilton garden inn in the Netherlands was charged for someone else's meals. I was traveling on business and my boss was paying for all of our meals. Yes, it does happen anywhere.

Disney must have stolen so much money from me then! That makes me so mad!

I wouldn't assume that's the case just because other people have had issues. We've stayed at WDW resorts many times and never had any issues. I do check our bill and DH checks what hits his credit card. It can, and does, occur at any hotel and is not intentionally done to cheat you. That's why you should always check your bill and address it when you discover it even if it's after your visit but the sooner you see it, the sooner you can deal with it.

I've worked at hotels and when people charge to their room and write down the incorrect room number it can be difficult (or impossible depending on the systems used) for the servers to know that the room number does not belong to that guest. And if you can't read the last name or signature it is even harder to know if the room. number is correct or not.

Disney is good at fixing it if they find it. We just returned from Beach Club where we received a couple of messages to our room that we needed to call the front desk about our account. We called the front desk and they said nothing was wrong with our account.
The next day, another message. This time my husband mentioned that Disney had charged $1600 to his card. He just assumed it was a balance for the trip I had not paid. I assured him I had to pay in full a month prior- at the most we should have $200 of charges because we had free dining and had only paid tips on it the first two nights and bought a few pins.
I immediately call back to the front desk and she says there are no charges for $1600. I explain I’m looking directly at the charge and it’s from Disney. We had already had 15 hours at the parks and my husband suffering through a heel spur- but he said he’d go down and show them the charge. He was down there over 45 minutes. He said they had to contact billing and another office (it’s midnight by now)...they finally figure out there was another guest with my exact name and the calls that came to us should have gone to her room, and her charging privileges had been suspended- but they blocked ours instead, and they charged our card instead of hers!!! I do not have a common name- traveler most continents and over 40 states and only met one other person with my name. What are the odds they are at same resort the same time I am? But, what was frustrating is that Disney DID charge our room but their ‘system’ showed no charges!! Finally, got it corrected, but what a hassle to deal with on vacation!

I've worked at hotels and when people charge to their room and write down the incorrect room number it can be difficult (or impossible depending on the systems used) for the servers to know that the room number does not belong to that guest. And if you can't read the last name or signature it is even harder to know if the room. number is correct or not.
I never wrote my number down...all resort guests have card or band they scan- so no mistakes like that ‘should’ happen.

Disney is good at fixing it if they find it. We just returned from Beach Club where we received a couple of messages to our room that we needed to call the front desk about our account. We called the front desk and they said nothing was wrong with our account.
The next day, another message. This time my husband mentioned that Disney had charged $1600 to his card. He just assumed it was a balance for the trip I had not paid. I assured him I had to pay in full a month prior- at the most we should have $200 of charges because we had free dining and had only paid tips on it the first two nights and bought a few pins.
I immediately call back to the front desk and she says there are no charges for $1600. I explain I’m looking directly at the charge and it’s from Disney. We had already had 15 hours at the parks and my husband suffering through a heel spur- but he said he’d go down and show them the charge. He was down there over 45 minutes. He said they had to contact billing and another office (it’s midnight by now)...they finally figure out there was another guest with my exact name and the calls that came to us should have gone to her room, and her charging privileges had been suspended- but they blocked ours instead, and they charged our card instead of hers!!! I do not have a common name- traveler most continents and over 40 states and only met one other person with my name. What are the odds they are at same resort the same time I am? But, what was frustrating is that Disney DID charge our room but their ‘system’ showed no charges!! Finally, got it corrected, but what a hassle to deal with on vacation!

Disney made Mistakes at multiple levels. Their story about a person with exact name sounds fishy to me.

I can corroborate this. Last November I had to make some phone calls to get parking charges removed from my bill as well. Similar situation, we took a black car service to and from the hotel....

I assume anyone that stays on property is automatically charged unless they take the mouse bus. Easy for them to be sure they get every dollar, annoying for us that we have to be inconvenienced to dispute the charge.
Nope. There's no rhyme or reason about parking charges.
Some who do drive are never charged.
Some who don't drive are.
They have an awful system in place for figuring out who has a car and who doesn't. It's been told to me that it's the guard that indicated "car" or "no car" but I'm not clear on how. You'd think it was based on MB upon arrival but they don't always ask to scan them. Which is probably where so many errors come from.
I know we have had many trips since the policy started on just now starting finding the parking charge. It's been easy to have removed, didn't even have to call. I was able to send an email. They took it right off. Another time I caught it at the resort and stopped to have it fixed when I made a room payment.

Do people not do this? To me that's like saying "remember to breathe each day"
Surely people know not to count on computers to get it right 100% of the time.

Now that we know Disney is consistently charging guests for items were not ordering, checking our room charges will be like breathing!

I’ll be staying at the Contemporary again in November and will be checking room charges and Disney credit card charges each night before I go to sleep. It will certainly become routine now that we know what’s going on.

This is not a computer glitch. 2 mistakes during a 4 night stay is questionable.

Multiple people on this thread reporting parking charges when they don’t have a car is definitely fishy.

Shame on Disney!

And the manager never called back...

When we arrive in a few weeks, I will be asking the front desk take my card off file (since we did online check-in). I never charge anything on my magic band. I bring one big gift card and some cash if needed, for all of my purchases and just use it as I go. I do check the charges on the app just in case. The whole charging back to the room thing may be convenient for some, but I just don't find it worth any of this hassle at all.

People are human. Tech isn’t perfect. Mistakes happen. I agree with pp that the onus is on the consumer to check receipts for errors. After all, it is my money.

I try to check every receipt just as I check my bank accounts/statements for fraudulent charges. If I had a dollar for the number of times my local McDonald’s left an item out of my bag...The grocery store isn’t as often, but double scans do happen. Nor do I assume servers purposefully charge me incorrectly, but they do quite often. I have never considered that the Golden Arches or the grocery store was conspiring to get more money from me. I do, however, use it as an opportunity to remind me to be vigilant. FYI, my husband never checks his receipts or bag. I love my husband, so I have learned to mostly live with it😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!