Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' and the dining plan

ilanakan

DIS Veteran
We'll be going to Homecomin' on our first day in Disney. There is so much we want to taste there, but being on the dining plan, I understood that we are slightly limited. We want to try several starters, and it is my understanding that it won't be possible to replace an entree with a starter on the dining plan (meaning, not order an entree and have the starter instead).

So, our plan is to order 3 starters to share between the 5 of us, and then use only 3 TS dining credits between us. That way we can order only 3 entrees and 3 desserts, because any more than that is simply way too much food.

Will that be a problem at Homecomin'?
Will they allow us to pay OOP for the starters and a couple of drinks, and use only the 3 TS credits between the 5 of us?

Homecomin' is way too much food. Lol. We split one DxDDP credit between two of us and didn't eat half of the food. I think 3 credits for the 5 of you will be more than enough - you could probably skip the appetizers completely and still have plenty. The waitstaff was great each time that we did this and agreed that splitting credits is a better plan.

I recommend the fried chicken dinner - everything on the plate is just delicious!

Agree with PP. Also note they are usually generous with their pours if getting a drink. Anything with moonshine is high octane. I couldn't finish my drink in Sept. Loved it but knew it was a kicker and not smart to roll out into the heat and humidity after a hefty helping of shine. Overall, Homecomin is a great value on the DDP and you really can't go wrong.

Homecomin' is way too much food. Lol. We split one DxDDP credit between two of us and didn't eat half of the food. I think 3 credits for the 5 of you will be more than enough - you could probably skip the appetizers completely and still have plenty. The waitstaff was great each time that we did this and agreed that splitting credits is a better plan.

I recommend the fried chicken dinner - everything on the plate is just delicious!

We ate there this past year on the DxDDP. We left WAY more food than we ate. We even took the leftover chicken biscuits and an order of donuts back to the hotel with us. It was SOOOOO much food, but SOOOOOO good. We should have definitely shared one credit.

The portions are on the larger side, but I had no issue finishing mine because it was delicious. Just make sure you show up hungry.

Another option would be to just pay for everything OOP at Homecomin'. That way you can order what you want without feeling obligated to order entrees and desserts, and it would give you extra TS credits to use elsewhere.

Last edited:
We'll be going to Homecomin' on our first day in Disney. There is so much we want to taste there, but being on the dining plan, I understood that we are slightly limited. We want to try several starters, and it is my understanding that it won't be possible to replace an entree with a starter on the dining plan (meaning, not order an entree and have the starter instead).

So, our plan is to order 3 starters to share between the 5 of us, and then use only 3 TS dining credits between us. That way we can order only 3 entrees and 3 desserts, because any more than that is simply way too much food.

Will that be a problem at Homecomin'?
Will they allow us to pay OOP for the starters and a couple of drinks, and use only the 3 TS credits between the 5 of us?
If your goal is to 'replace' a higher-priced entree for a lower-priced appetizer, you'll likely find most any restaurant at Disney will allow for that substitution.

Be advised, it won't work the other way.

Also, if using the Dining Plan and you just want an extra appetizer, you can pay out-of-pocket for that extra plate.

If it were me - I'd be happy to return to my hotel room with fried chicken leftovers.

With the dining plan, 1 TS credit at this restaurant will get you an entree and a dessert? I really want to try the fried chicken and the shine cake!

With the dining plan, 1 TS credit at this restaurant will get you an entree and a dessert? I really want to try the fried chicken and the shine cake!
I TS credit on the DP will get you the entree (fried chicken is very good), dessert (shine cake excellent) and 1 alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage. No appetizers included in 1 TS credit. Enjoy that fried chicken and shine cake. It's what I last ordered. Yummy :-)

Def make your ADR as soon as you can. Homecomin' is very popular and regular dinner time hours fill up quickly.

I TS credit on the DP will get you the entree (fried chicken is very good), dessert (shine cake excellent) and 1 alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage. No appetizers included in 1 TS credit. Enjoy that fried chicken and shine cake. It's what I last ordered. Yummy :-)

Def make your ADR as soon as you can. Homecomin' is very popular and regular dinner time hours fill up quickly.

Thank you! I got my ADR but it will be a very early dinner since that was all that they had left. I will take a look at the drink menu to see what they have. I forgot you can get an alcoholic beverage now! Can’t wait to eat there :)

Hi! From what has been posted here, 1 TS credit equals entree and dessert, correct? If we wanted to order 1 appetizer, could we just pay out of pocket for that?

Portions at Homecomin' are enormous. What we did, while on the dining plan, being a family of 5, was order 3 starters (instead of entrees but counted as entrees for the dining plan), 2 entrees to share (more than enough with the starters) and the desserts (that were too much - maybe should have replaced some with salad as well). The servers are amazing and very flexible.

Portions at Homecomin' are enormous. What we did, while on the dining plan, being a family of 5, was order 3 starters (instead of entrees but counted as entrees for the dining plan), 2 entrees to share (more than enough with the starters) and the desserts (that were too much - maybe should have replaced some with salad as well). The servers are amazing and very flexible.
Agree about the portion sizes. We took our leftovers, and the dessert, back to our room to eat the next day. Food was amazing, so I probably would do the same next time lol.

We loved our meal. 3 deluxe credits between 5 of us left us stuffed with leftovers. My DD still deams about those thigh high chicken biscuits. But fried chicken a bit of a disappointment for us - they were giant pieces of mostly breast meat - we like juicy dark meat so our fault for not asking. Everything else was yummy!

I was hoping I could get 1 appetizer for my entree but wasn't sure if they would let me on the DDP. Are you saying they let you do that? That would be great! I thought we could get the Jasper Board and the Chicken and Donuts and split it. I really hope they let me.

I was hoping I could get 1 appetizer for my entree but wasn't sure if they would let me on the DDP. Are you saying they let you do that? That would be great! I thought we could get the Jasper Board and the Chicken and Donuts and split it. I really hope they let me.

We had the deluxe plan so that is different. I don't think you can do what you ask but they may do an entree sized version of an appetizer. If not, consider paying OOP for the app u want.

We were 5 on the dining plan. We got 3 appetizers (that replaced 3 entrees), and 2 entrees that we shared among the 5 of us. We asked the server as she sat us down, and she said there was no problem. At the end we got 5 desserts. Didn't finish them. We should have replaced 2 for small salad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!