Chicago-looking for something diff. to do

Tinijocaro

DIS Veteran
We are spending three days in August in Chicago. I know about the museums, shedd, magnificant mile, millenium park, willis tower and most of the other common touristy thing and plan to do a couple of them.

Looking for off the beaten path things to do. We aren't big shoppers, my "kids" are 23, 20, 19, and 16 so we don't need kid friendly things. While in Montreal last summer we went to this:

The family loved it!

Also this:
, family also really loved this.

Anything in Chicago that involves lasers, technology, light shows, projections on existing buildings....?

We are spending three days in August in Chicago. I know about the museums, shedd, magnificant mile, millenium park, willis tower and most of the other common touristy thing and plan to do a couple of them.

Looking for off the beaten path things to do. We aren't big shoppers, my "kids" are 23, 20, 19, and 16 so we don't need kid friendly things. While in Montreal last summer we went to this:

The family loved it!

Also this:
, family also really loved this.

Anything in Chicago that involves lasers, technology, light shows, projections on existing buildings....?

I think Brookfield Zoo does a laser show of sorts but it isn't Disney level or anything like that. First thing that came to mind was the Air Show, lol. Not electronic laser's but getting buzzed by fighter jets is pretty cool. You didn't list dates of travel but the Air Show is usually mid month in August, prob the weekend of the 18th this year and it's free .

Blue Man Group put's on a pretty cool show as well...not all lasers but I believe they have a bit of everything in their show

ETA: You can go through this ~ maybe something will grab your interest?
https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/illinois/places

Last edited:
There are architectural tours you can do by boat ride, see a play in the theater district. Walk on the Riverwalk-it has restaurants & a drawbridge museum that is neat.

We just got back from 3 nights in Chicago Friday. We did nothing but eat and drink and shop this time. In previous visits we have done the Architectural Boat Tour which we loved, and we also did a walking tour that included the Pedway.

Navy Pier has a pretty impressive fireworks show every Wednesday and Saturday throughout the summer. We used to go there a couple times a summer and really enjoyed it. There are some shops and restaurants in Navy Pier, too. You can walk along the lake, it's very lovely. There are also lunch and dinner cruises at Navy Pier. We did one for DD15's chorus class last spring at lunch time. It was beautiful. I believe they even do cruises for the fireworks. There are also other boat rides over there, speed boats and sightseeing.

I think Brookfield Zoo does a laser show of sorts but it isn't Disney level or anything like that. First thing that came to mind was the Air Show, lol. Not electronic laser's but getting buzzed by fighter jets is pretty cool. You didn't list dates of travel but the Air Show is usually mid month in August, prob the weekend of the 18th this year and it's free .

Blue Man Group put's on a pretty cool show as well...not all lasers but I believe they have a bit of everything in their show

ETA: You can go through this ~ maybe something will grab your interest?
https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/illinois/places
We are going August 1-3. The air show would have been fun! Thanks for the link.

There are architectural tours you can do by boat ride, see a play in the theater district. Walk on the Riverwalk-it has restaurants & a drawbridge museum that is neat.
I def want to see a musical. Hope something good is up. Drawbridge museum is something I've never heard of-I'll check it out, thanks!

We just got back from 3 nights in Chicago Friday. We did nothing but eat and drink and shop this time. In previous visits we have done the Architectural Boat Tour which we loved, and we also did a walking tour that included the Pedway.

Boat tour sounds pretty cool. Thanks!

Navy Pier has a pretty impressive fireworks show every Wednesday and Saturday throughout the summer. We used to go there a couple times a summer and really enjoyed it. There are some shops and restaurants in Navy Pier, too. You can walk along the lake, it's very lovely. There are also lunch and dinner cruises at Navy Pier. We did one for DD15's chorus class last spring at lunch time. It was beautiful. I believe they even do cruises for the fireworks. There are also other boat rides over there, speed boats and sightseeing.

I think my kids would love a cruise and fireworks. Thanks.

Well... We have great festivals and concerts in Downtown. But, there's one great spot in Rosemont (check the calendar of events later on for schedule). You could take a Blue Line train to O’Hare to get there. During Summer, there’s a Country Music concert every Tuesday & every Thursday there’s a Rock concert, Featuring well known Tribute bands. Many of them are followed by decent fireworks display synced to a music and shot from the top of the parking garage, nice and close. great place for food, drinks and activities, check out the iFly, Hofbräuhaus Chicago or Sugar Factory.

EDIT: I just noticed that the main sponsor MB Financial Bank got replaced with Parkway Bank, hopefully this won't affect the Concerts schedule or quality of the bands.
THIS was the last year line up, with Think Floyd transforming it into Biker's gathering ;). Awesome band!

Last edited:
The architectural boat tour is very enjoyable. I also recommend heading over to the Palmer House Hilton hotel for tea. The setting is not an everyday experience in this country.

Check out the Chicago Arichtecture Foundation. They offer many different tours, I’ve yet to do one that wasn’t good. My favorite (after the boat tour) is the one I did at Graceland Cemetery. http://www.architecture.org/

Boat tour sounds pretty cool. Thanks!
If you run out of time for a scheduled tour, taking the water taxi is fun. I love it. I am a walker, walk everywhere I can in the City but really enjoy the water taxi. The Arch Tour does take you along other parts of the river tho that the taxi does not.

One of the Boat Tours that ALSO includes Lake Michigan.
Be a weekend FOODIE!! There are so many great places. I could recommend but you'll have to do a search for your own likes.
GO TO WRIGLEY FIELD...(says the DIE HARD CUBS FAN in me) because someone, someday, will ask you if you did. LOL!

Also the Original Billy Goat Tavern on Michigan Ave - "Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Pepsi No Coke"

If any of you are sports fans, they do stadium tours at Wrigley Field. I think most if not all MLB teams offer this. They do them on both game day and non-game days, and you usually see more when its a non-game day. We did one last year at the Nationals Park in DC and we got to go in the clubhouse, dugout, luxury suites, press box, etc. We also got to go in the bullpen and DH threw a pitch. I'm only a casual baseball fan, but it was a cool experience and I think it would be especially cool at Wrigley Field given the history.

I def want to see a musical. Hope something good is up. Drawbridge museum is something I've never heard of-I'll check it out, thanks!
I found the name of the museum--McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!