Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

Most importantly... Doughnuts...

Doughnuts.jpg

Got it all mapped out. Doughnut Vault might not happen since it's a little out of the way. But Stan's is a must with a PB doughnut and Do-Rite has an apple fritter.

Most importantly... Doughnuts...

View attachment 353920

Got it all mapped out. Doughnut Vault might not happen since it's a little out of the way. But Stan's is a must with a PB doughnut and Do-Rite has an apple fritter.

Doughnut Vault sometimes sells out in the mornings as well. Its been a while since we've gone there so I don't know if the craze has died down or not though.
Also - I'm assuming you will be hitting these while in town but not during the race, right?

The Do-Rites old fashioned cake donut with chocolate glaze is pretty legit. PB one from Stan's is the correct choice. I also enjoy their cherry and pistachio ones but they aren't as big or decadent as the PB.

Doughnut Vault sometimes sells out in the mornings as well. Its been a while since we've gone there so I don't know if the craze has died down or not though.

Yea, I saw that. We'll see about that one. At least it opens a little later then the others.

Also - I'm assuming you will be hitting these while in town but not during the race, right?

Most definitely. No plans to go off course. I think it'll probably be on Saturday, but maybe Friday afternoon for Stan's depending on when I get in town. Then lots of eating post marathon and on Monday. I wonder how many doughnuts I could put in my gear check....

The Do-Rites old fashioned cake donut with chocolate glaze is pretty legit. PB one from Stan's is the correct choice. I also enjoy their cherry and pistachio ones but they aren't as big or decadent as the PB.

:idea:

One of each please!

Marathon programs (actual big magazine sized with articles) have been popping up at gyms in Chicago. My coworker got me one today. It's getting really real now!

IMG_4527.JPG

IMG_4528.JPG

PS I've sequestered my race day outfit now (all parts, including socks etc) so that nothing happens to them until race day. #crazy

i wore my race gear today. Well my expected race gear. It was the last chance to give it a decent test. My issue is here in atlanta i am running in 74 degree temps with some wicked humidity. In chicago am going to be in 50s. I am naturally cold so i hate the first cold runs and this will be a first cold run. In the summer i don't wear compression socks (too warm) but i do when it gets cold, so while i have the perfect normal socks i tried the compression today and my shirt i will wear. Everything worked good. All things i have worn before in races just nothing i have worn lately because of the heat. I will spend the weekend getting all my throw away ready. i dont want to be cold waiting around but i know i want to start running a little cold so that i am not miserable at the end. Yes taper madness is getting to me. @DopeyBadger you have not started with the weather reports yet. Is it too soon? and thanks for the list. I have my own but always nice to compare.

i wore my race gear today. Well my expected race gear. It was the last chance to give it a decent test. My issue is here in atlanta i am running in 74 degree temps with some wicked humidity. In chicago am going to be in 50s. I am naturally cold so i hate the first cold runs and this will be a first cold run. In the summer i don't wear compression socks (too warm) but i do when it gets cold, so while i have the perfect normal socks i tried the compression today and my shirt i will wear. Everything worked good. All things i have worn before in races just nothing i have worn lately because of the heat. I will spend the weekend getting all my throw away ready. i dont want to be cold waiting around but i know i want to start running a little cold so that i am not miserable at the end. Yes taper madness is getting to me. @DopeyBadger you have not started with the weather reports yet. Is it too soon? and thanks for the list. I have my own but always nice to compare.

Just started checking today. Based on research I read, as a general statement for weather in the US, the forecast temp is no more accurate than historical figures outside of 5 days and precipitation is 2 days. But based on the 11 day low on weather underground, it should be around a T+D of 100 to start with a possibility of lower given the changing barometric pressure.

I fully expected a long checklist and you still exceeded my expectations. :surfweb:

Lol!

I'm just looking for little cartoon suns and @DopeyBadger is over here analyzing barometric pressure.

giphy.gif

this is precisely my training plan this summer. my marathon is a week after chicago in connecticut. i've slogged through a truly ghastly summer of training here in north texas and i'm planning on the cooler new england temperatures to power me through the thing. as you note, the downside is braving the pre-race temperatures.

Marathon programs (actual big magazine sized with articles) have been popping up at gyms in Chicago. My coworker got me one today. It's getting really real now!

View attachment 354404

View attachment 354405

PS I've sequestered my race day outfit now (all parts, including socks etc) so that nothing happens to them until race day. #crazy

Woohoo!!!

I have absolutely no idea what I'm wearing for the race. I'm frozen with indecision and a total spaz wondering what the weather will be like.

giphy.gif

Woohoo!!!

I have absolutely no idea what I'm wearing for the race. I'm frozen with indecision and a total spaz wondering what the weather will be like.

giphy.gif

Well here's my completely novice decision on clothes, that I'm sure I'll debate internally for two weeks.
Shorts with pockets...I just know it won't be cool enough to go full capri because I'll get hot even if it is cool. But that's just me.
Charity tech short sleeve t. Tanks are my usual summer go-to for shorter races, but I tend to get some upper arm chub rub chafing, so short sleeve it is. If it's hotter than 72 - pivot to a tank.
Here's my indecision...VISOR OR NO? My gut says the sweatband in the brim is my bff and I'll be out there later since GO ORANGE wave and I'm not super fast. So I may go visor and then hand off to hubby if I'm not feeling it, then probably ask for it back later from him.
I do intend to pack extra clothes and socks, etc in hubby's backpack for any "oh no" moments on course. He's got a mission to find me as many times as possible via bike.

So I think that's what I think.
And throwaway clothes in corral.

Edited to add that Chicago wind eats hats for breakfast so I'm already willing to say bye to my visor and buy a new one later.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter