Child harness for 13 month old? No mean comments please

monica9

DIS Veteran
I’m just wondering what to do. I used to be one of those parents that gave the evil eye to parents who used a “leash” but now that I know what it’s all about and actually have a child who is a good candidate, I’m wondering if I should invest.
She’s 13 months old and has been up and running since end of her 10 month. She’s strong On her legs and has great balance.
My 9 year old on the other hand would never try to run off, always sat in her stroller and never gave us a problem. Our toddler on the other hand hates the stroller, folds her body in half to get down when we try to hold her and she’s super small so it’s hard to walk holding her hand around a park. I know she is young but do you think a harness will work? The baby carrier is the only thing she stays in but only a little at a time. We are planning on a lot of breaks during our 9 day vacation and letting her get her energy out maybe in the splash area in fantasyland or other areas of parks.
So is harbess for a 13 month old something you would consider?

I would not consider it with 2 adults and a 9 year old, a carrier and a stroller. I would just hold hands, pick up the toddler, use the stroller, use the carrier. My oldest would not dart away in public (I mean I'd have to try to lose him :p), but even my twins who would dart in public showed less risky behavior at Disneyworld (granted they were a little over 2 when we went). I did get safety tatts, and we always had a responsibility check over who was actually watching which child.

I also have to say that I tried when they were that age because I have twins (who could run in 2 different directions)...what a waste of money! Mine just fell to the ground and gave me dirty looks until I took it off.

I would try a cheap one...maybe you know someone who would let you try it out. If she folds over about being picked up, I'm wondering if you get the same response as I did to the harness. You never know until you try.

I would not consider it with 2 adults and a 9 year old, a carrier and a stroller. I would just hold hands, pick up the toddler, use the stroller, use the carrier. My oldest would not dart away in public (I mean I'd have to try to lose him :p), but even my twins who would dart in public showed less risky behavior at Disneyworld (granted they were a little over 2 when we went). I did get safety tatts, and we always had a responsibility check over who was actually watching which child.

I also have to say that I tried when they were that age because I have twins (who could run in 2 different directions)...what a waste of money! Mine just fell to the ground and gave me dirty looks until I took it off.
Lol I can see my daughter flailing to the ground until I took t off her. Boy is she different than her sister was. She will definitely still run off as she does at the mall. She’s way too young to understand the risk. I can keep her in a stroller for about 20 minutes while feeding her which isn’t a habit I’d like to start. I might buy one and try it around the house first. Maybe get a Minnie Mouse one since she loves her.

I had them for my twins (#4 and #5) for neighborhood walks and crowded events (like street fairs). I loved walking with my kids, and hated to always have to use the stroller. You do need to practice, but my twins quickly got used to them and actually loved not having to be in the stroller (especially with siblings who got to walk). #4 probably would’ve been fine (shy and clingy like #3), but #5 was such a crazy runner! We still ended up losing him many times over the years.

I’m just wondering what to do. I used to be one of those parents that gave the evil eye to parents who used a “leash” but now that I know what it’s all about and actually have a child who is a good candidate, I’m wondering if I should invest.
She’s 13 months old and has been up and running since end of her 10 month. She’s strong On her legs and has great balance.
My 9 year old on the other hand would never try to run off, always sat in her stroller and never gave us a problem. Our toddler on the other hand hates the stroller, folds her body in half to get down when we try to hold her and she’s super small so it’s hard to walk holding her hand around a park. I know she is young but do you think a harness will work? The baby carrier is the only thing she stays in but only a little at a time. We are planning on a lot of breaks during our 9 day vacation and letting her get her energy out maybe in the splash area in fantasyland or other areas of parks.
So is harbess for a 13 month old something you would consider?

Do whatever keeps you sane. Honestly I hate using a stroller, and if my kid was walking well enough to use a leash. I so totally would

I had them for my twins (#4 and #5) for neighborhood walks and crowded events (like street fairs). I loved walking with my kids, and hated to always have to use the stroller. You do need to practice, but my twins quickly got used to them and actually loved not having to be in the stroller (especially with siblings who got to walk). #4 probably would’ve been fine (shy and clingy like #3), but #5 was such a crazy runner! We still ended up losing him many times over the years.
Love how you use numbers. You know you have a lot of kids when you number them lol

I’m not against leashes, but a small 13 month old isn’t going to have the stamina to walk for very long in a big place like Disney (even if she is energetic). My son likes his stroller, and he is a big kid, but even at 18 months, I wouldn’t have considered letting him walk very far in the parks. She may end up wanting the stroller.

I’m not against leashes, but a small 13 month old isn’t going to have the stamina to walk for very long in a big place like Disney (even if she is energetic). My son likes his stroller, and he is a big kid, but even at 18 months, I wouldn’t have considered letting him walk very far in the parks. She may end up wanting the stroller.

Maybe park the stroller in the various lands, and then use the harness/leash between rides?

I used one for my son when he was about 2 and he loved it. It was a monkey backpack one. He never took it off even when we weren't using it because he liked it so much. I was there alone with my 3 kids so it was necessity for me. He also used the stroller a lot but this was great for getting him to rides, keeping him in line, etc.

They are cheap so I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it.

Oh geez no. I’d never have her walk the whole time. I’m talking 10-15 minutes at a time just to get energy out and switch things up so she’s not in the stroller, baby carrier or our arms the whole time when all she wants to do is be done and walking and I’m sure as heck not letting go of her hand to let her walk with the crowds. So I need something for when she insists on being down

I would do it. We wished we had one when we took our son at almost 2. He wanted to walk but was not able to pay enough attention to others to walk in crowds. With a leash I could have given him more freedom and avoided a few meltdowns. I say better to bring one and not use it than wish you had it!

Definitely a reasonable solution.
Yes I wouldn’t be using it the whole trip. We walk about 15 miles a day. It’s for while she isn’t in the stroller. We were planning on parking the stroller a lot and using the baby carrier as well. I need an option for when she wants to be walking. I can’t imagine sitting or being held for 12 hours a day so I can’t expect her to be!

My son is now 13 but I tried the harness at Disney when he was a toddler. It was a disaster. People don't look down when they are walking and would end up tripping on the leash.
I know. Worried about that or her falling on her face while trying to run from me. Agh. I’m going to try it around the house and see how it goes

Yes I wouldn’t be using it the whole trip. We walk about 15 miles a day. It’s for while she isn’t in the stroller. We were planning on parking the stroller a lot and using the baby carrier as well. I need an option for when she wants to be walking. I can’t imagine sitting or being held for 12 hours a day so I can’t expect her to be!

I'm impress yours will still fit in a baby carrier...granted I have a 32 inch, 27 lb behemoth of a 15 month old.

I haven’t read these yet but one time when I went by myself to the mall in the next town to get my boys pictures taken, one was about 9 m and the other was 2yo. I took a small thin dog leash and ended up using it on my 2 yo who was very active after he took off running in a crowd. I clipped it to the belt loop on the back of his shorts.

I'm impress yours will still fit in a baby carrier...granted I have a 32 inch, 27 lb behemoth of a 15 month old.
Haha. Yea she still fits. She’s 30inches and about 22 lbs but my back definitely starts to hurt. My husband and I will alternate and try using the back pack position. Problem is, now that she’s bigger it’s hard to see in front of myself with her in the front position. But she loves being in it so I guess I’ll sacrifice and hopefully burn a few calories walking around the parks lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!