Child harness for 13 month old? No mean comments please

My son is now 13 but I tried the harness at Disney when he was a toddler. It was a disaster. People don't look down when they are walking and would end up tripping on the leash.

I'm with you on this one. It's too crowded for a leash. We had to laugh at the stroller commandos crashing into each other, complete with bonus ECV's and service animals, once the day started and we were in WDW with like, 20,000 other people.

Keep her in her baby carrier or the stroller or be holding onto her. If you allow even a few feet of separation, she could easily be parted from your group. :(

Definitely make sure you take her picture at the Gates each day ; the CM's will be able to help you find her faster, should she "wander over there to look at the ducks"...

Years ago, when the parks were less crowded, we managed to lasso an entire family with my two year old’s leash. People aren’t looking for folks to be attached by ropes, so they don’t see the ropes and walk right into them.

I found what worked for my runner was to attach a helium balloon to her. You can always see her even if she takes off, and the wind resistance slows her down. That was our first stop at every mall, the balloon kiosk.

I'm with you on this one. It's too crowded for a leash. We had to laugh at the stroller commandos crashing into each other, complete with bonus ECV's and service animals, once the day started and we were in WDW with like, 20,000 other people.

Keep her in her baby carrier or the stroller or be holding onto her. If you allow even a few feet of separation, she could easily be parted from your group. :(

Definitely make sure you take her picture at the Gates each day ; the CM's will be able to help you find her faster, should she "wander over there to look at the ducks"...
Never heard of the picture. How does that work and where do I get it?

Yes I’d never let my 13 month old walk around freely next to us. She would just take off and people won’t even notice her since she’s so small. This is why I want the harness so I can hold it close to her body and keep her right next to me. This won’t be the whole trip. I’m talking just 10 minutes at a time to get her a little tired. I don’t expect her to be held or sitting the whole trip. But you and a few others got me thinking and I think it would be best to let her walk with the harness in a less crowded area of the parks and not in the mass of crowds. Thank you!

I'm impress yours will still fit in a baby carrier...granted I have a 32 inch, 27 lb behemoth of a 15 month old.

My son was over 29 lbs at 15 months! He just turned 2...31 lbs and at least 34.5 inches. I’m 5’3 and 112 lbs...I struggle getting him into the crib at times! I think we’re done with the carrier at this point...my back can’t handle it.

My son was over 29 lbs at 15 months! He just turned 2...31 lbs and at least 34.5 inches. I’m 5’3 and 112 lbs...I struggle getting him into the crib at times! I think we’re done with the carrier at this point...my back can’t handle it.

She's long and lean and looks more like a 2 year old...and based on her bonkers crawling, she's definitely going to be a runner when she's better at walking. I'm hoping she'll be content to be in the stroller come May, but she probably won't...

There isn't a set up (at least, I've never seen it). We just take a picture with our cell phones - if you do it daily, you also don't have to remember what she was wearing that day.
Oh got it. Wasn’t sure if they took pictures of kids for security reasons.

You could try tricking her. When my daughter (now 17) was that age she was a runner and would take off on her own (gave me my 1st gray hairs). I bought the leash with the animal packback and made her wear it to our zoo. She tried running a few times but after awhile she stopped. I kept putting on the backpack but not the leash and she just assumed at that age that she was still leashed.

I was a little unsure about this for my 13-mo old, but he ended up being kinda overwhelmed by the place when walking and he clung to us like glue. (He wasn't like that anywhere else). We did bring our "buckle cow" backpack leash, but after the first day we left it at the room. (It wasn't his - it was his sister's back in the day, so we had one handy. Glad I didn't buy one!).

I was a little unsure about this for my 13-mo old, but he ended up being kinda overwhelmed by the place when walking and he clung to us like glue. (He wasn't like that anywhere else). We did bring our "buckle cow" backpack leash, but after the first day we left it at the room. (It wasn't his - it was his sister's back in the day, so we had one handy. Glad I didn't buy one!).
Also a total possibility.... for the first few days until they think they own the place :)

why ask opinions? First, my kids are now 'old' and WAY past this stage..... but I have never understood why people have issues with these things,and keeping little runners safe! For one thing, at 12 months, you have to stoop down to hold that hand...it's going to get very tiring after a few minutes! Also, safety first! if you have a runner (one of mine was SO fast and SO little) then you understand how difficult it is in a huge public place with lots of people to keep track of said little runner. Attaching my kiddo to myself was the ONLY option I had on some days....and I did it! What is so 'mean' about tethering baby to mama? (or Dad?) I always looked at it like an extra long arm so he couldn't get away in a crowd. My little guy also liked to walk around vs. strollers,and I used a combo of baby sling, stroller and leash as needed. And he was clever, those little wrist things never worked, he'd just tear it off and run! I had to attach something to the back of his overalls(yes,I dressed him with an eye to easy attachment lol,I had no choice!) and he has grown into a happy,healthy,and still energetic and active young man! (he started walking at 8 months BTW there was no holding this kid back) you should have seen our desperate attempts to babyproof our home with this kid!

I just wasn’t sure if a 13 month old would be able to handle it without falling over.
But we bought one a couple days ago and so far she loves walking around with it while I hold it. It’s a Minnie Mouse one so that helps. So far she hasn’t gotten upset when I try stopping her from continuing to walk

I am of the mindset that whatever makes the trip work for you, do it! Leases included. I would be very hesitant to used it with such a little toddler however. There are lots of big people going pretty quickly and not watching the ground. I think she would be in danger of being knocked down and stepped on. Maybe if you find a out of the way place with few people to give her a few minutes to stretch her legs but in that situation you probably would not need the lease.

I am of the mindset that whatever makes the trip work for you, do it! Leases included. I would be very hesitant to used it with such a little toddler however. There are lots of big people going pretty quickly and not watching the ground. I think she would be in danger of being knocked down and stepped on. Maybe if you find a out of the way place with few people to give her a few minutes to stretch her legs but in that situation you probably would not need the lease.
That’s what we are thinking. I can think of a few places in each park where we will be able to let her out, stretch her legs and hopefully tire her out. But I’m more comfortable with her being connected to us so I’m hoping the harness/leash work

oh, n the thought of tripping people up..... it's really simple to use the leash at a very short range, like she's holding your hand, but you don't have to crouch down to walk with her.....

We used the "leash" that was attached to a backpack. My DS loved having his own bag and didn't care that a leash was attached. I agree with other posters about crowds and your 13 month old on his feet. If crowds are that bad, its stroller time.

oh, n the thought of tripping people up..... it's really simple to use the leash at a very short range, like she's holding your hand, but you don't have to crouch down to walk with her.....
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks!

My older brother was a runner, so when my parents took both of us out together we were both on baby leashes, so he wouldn't catch on that it was just for him :earboy2:. We were in no one way psychologically harmed by this. My toddler is on the more rambunctious side, so we'll probably be investing in a backpack leash now that he's becoming a more confident walker. As others have mentioned, I would recommend using the stroller in crowded situations.

My second DD is a runner. I am bringing a leash. I don't care. I need to keep her near me. I also got something for both of our wrists. I will mainly keep her in stroller but she gets antsy. (am also looking for all the playgrounds...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter