Child harness for 13 month old? No mean comments please

My two year old is one of those kids that if he knows that you don’t want him to do something he’ll do it. He’s very crafty and doesn’t always come back so we got these wrist things that we’ll have in the diaper bag just in case.

https://www.amazon.com/Wrist-Safety-Toddlers-Babies-Blisstime/dp/B01N2G22HB/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1511724164&sr=8-3&keywords=wrist+toddler+leash&th=1
I actually like this wrist thing better than the backpack. I’m leaving in two days so not sure it will come in time!

I know it's too late for the OP, but we used a skip hop zoo backpack with a leash for my son when he was small. I bought it when we went to the Grand Canyon because I was paranoid that he would run off and fall into the canyon. He liked it because he could carry his toys in his pack. There are some safety concerns with the wrist leashes, so I personally wouldn't use one. But I'm definitely pro-harness. We were able to give my son independence in places where he otherwise would have needed to be carried or strapped into a stroller without fear of him running off or getting hurt. So the pros outweigh the only real con I can think of -- mean looks from judgmental people.

My 3 year old niece's harness was a life saver for our trip and we had plenty of adult hands focused on one little toddler. She was apt to run off so being able to hang on to her easily was great. Also, whenever she got too excited and tripped of whatever, the harness helped us hold her up, preventing a fall.

Well the harness didn’t work. We used it for 10 minutes and she kept falling with it. It was actually easier to just hold her hand and she actually did really well and I didn’t have to hunch over too much. Whenever there was an area with grass we let her run around on it and then when we weren’t rushing and there wasn’t a huge crowd of people rushing to get somewhere we would just hold her hand so she could walk. She let us and didn’t try to run off. It worked out. She hated being in her stroller so it was holding her hand or holding her in our arms. Boy did my right arm grow muscles this past week. Anyway, I don’t think the harness is good for a 13 month old who is not confident enough and strong enough on with her walking. I do however think it will come in handy in 1 1/2 years when we go back. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Do what you feel keeps your kids safe. With that being said I liked having a stroller. My daughter used it for naps, and held stuff I didn’t want to carry, like half full bags of popcorn.

I’m just wondering what to do. I used to be one of those parents that gave the evil eye to parents who used a “leash” but now that I know what it’s all about and actually have a child who is a good candidate, I’m wondering if I should invest.
She’s 13 months old and has been up and running since end of her 10 month. She’s strong On her legs and has great balance.
My 9 year old on the other hand would never try to run off, always sat in her stroller and never gave us a problem. Our toddler on the other hand hates the stroller, folds her body in half to get down when we try to hold her and she’s super small so it’s hard to walk holding her hand around a park. I know she is young but do you think a harness will work? The baby carrier is the only thing she stays in but only a little at a time. We are planning on a lot of breaks during our 9 day vacation and letting her get her energy out maybe in the splash area in fantasyland or other areas of parks.
So is harbess for a 13 month old something you would consider?
I give you a lot of credit bringing a toddler to WDW. I don’t think I could do it. As far as what people think, they have no right to judge you.
If she is so small, have you tried a baby bjorn carrier? They make larger models for toddlers too.
Good luck.

Had an answer (was going to suggest a shorter thing that just extends hand-holding range a bit) but by the time I read to the end, realized you'd already gone and come back! - Glad she did OK even though the harness didn't work out.

Oh, and mine was tiny at that age, too! - He actually still fit in the hip carrier I had at 18 months, so we used that at Disney to break up the stroller time.

We've taken our girls for the past twenty some years at different ages and really had no problems. Toddlers are so much fun at WDW if you are willing to tour the parks at their pace. Funny but true the only person we ever had problems with was my 55 year old brother inlaw. (We could have used a harness for him!!!!) I have never owned one BUT we were lucky with our girls and I applaud any parent who puts the safety of their children first. If you need it, use it.

My son is now 13 but I tried the harness at Disney when he was a toddler. It was a disaster. People don't look down when they are walking and would end up tripping on the leash.

Years ago, when the parks were less crowded, we managed to lasso an entire family with my two year old’s leash. People aren’t looking for folks to be attached by ropes, so they don’t see the ropes and walk right into them.
[snip

No offense, but these kinds of issues are the user's fault, though I'm sure you didn't realize it. You used the wrong type of harness rein for a crowd. Reins made in the US are almost always too long for walking in crowded places, because the rein is too long. For crowded situations, the rein should be tested at a length no longer than will drop as far as the child's mid-calf when standing. (Most of the time, that will be less than 24 inches long. Note the length of the strap in the photo, which in my opinion is adjusted a bit too long for a crowd situation.)

I know the OP has already bought a rein, but for other readers, know that in a crowd, you would be much better off with a UK-style harness and reins, such as those made by Clippasafe. (You can buy them via Amazon UK, and since they credit back the VAT tax, shipping isn't all that bad.) I find these well worth the investment, because they include a set of short side straps that can be used to safely secure a child in a restaurant chair or a non-harness stroller. These harnesses are impossible for a child to wiggle out of, and they have the straps attached behind each armpit, which means that if the child stumbles and starts to fall, you can safely and painlessly pull up on the strap to stop the fall, without running the risk of hurting his or her arm.
images

Last edited:
One thing I don't understand is the whole "tiring" out thing. It doesn't matter if your usually rambunctious 1 year old isn't running around like usual. The stimuli is overwhelming for anyone, especially small children.

We have taken our kids when they were 6, 3 & 2 and again when they were 8, 5, 3 & 1.5 and are going this May when they will be 9, 7, 5, 2 & 6 months (because we are crazy I guess).

All of my littles are little balls of energy. And I never had a problem with them falling asleep once we get back to the hotel or napping in the stroller. The mental exhaustion from the trip is enough without the little ones having to run in circles.

Really? Just curious, why not? My son was 18 months on our trip last year and it was a breeze. The only time he had a meltdown was when we had to pry him away from the Splash Mountain playground.
Well let’s see. I’m too old to chase a toddler. I chose to wait until my DD could walk alongside me and hold my hand without bolting.
I’m not criticizing you. I’m complementing you for having the patience, energy, and endurance.

The backpack harnesses are great once your child is old enough to be a strong independent walker. We have taken my son everywhere with one, including crowded theme parks where he alternates between riding in the stroller and walking with the harness on. We have one of the soft ones with a stuffed monkey on it. I have lost count of the number of exhausted parents who have asked me where did I get it so they could get one too.

Well let’s see. I’m too old to chase a toddler. I chose to wait until my DD could walk alongside me and hold my hand without bolting.
I’m not criticizing you. I’m complementing you for having the patience, energy, and endurance.

Oh, I thought you meant you wouldn’t want to take a toddler at the time you had a toddler. I’m sure I wouldn’t want to take a toddler when I’m older either!

Honestly, it took less energy and endurance than our trips did pre-child. We didn’t stay at the parks as long and toured at a slower pace. He sat in the stroller most of the time. I think Disney trips always require a lot of patience...I didn’t think this one was any worse than before we had a kid.

I am not a parent, but my mother put a harness on me when I was your child's age at WDW (about 20 years ago). Both my sister and I (who are 4 years apart), had a habit of running off, especially in large public spaces such as Disney. Especially in today's world where there's crazy people out there I say do what you must do as long as the harness is comfortable/safe for your child. Thinking back to late 90's, I'm glad my mother did what she did. If you prefer a stroller, that is great. I don't think judgement should be made to you either way. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter