Child too skinny for rides?

samsonjs

Mouseketeer
my daughter will be almost 40”. I don’t think she will be tall enough for the mountains, which I’m happy about, but she will be tall enough for SDD and 7DMT. I’m mostly worried about the bar not fitting her right. She’s very skinny and only about 31lb. Does the bar fit each person individually? Will they check to make sure she is fit snug and can’t slip out? Has anyone taken a small child on these rides?

Im sure I should trust that Disney has taken this into consideration when determining the height.

my daughter will be almost 40”. I don’t think she will be tall enough for the mountains, which I’m happy about, but she will be tall enough for SDD and 7DMT. I’m mostly worried about the bar not fitting her right. She’s very skinny and only about 31lb. Does the bar fit each person individually? Will they check to make sure she is fit snug and can’t slip out? Has anyone taken a small child on these rides?

Im sure I should trust that Disney has taken this into consideration when determining the height.
The ride CMs take the time to ensure the bar or seat belt fits properly on all guests; don't worry if she doesn't fit, she can't ride.

As for height minimums here they are:

https://wdwprepschool.com/rides-at-disney-world-height-requirements/

Our second and fourth daughters are very tiny and I worried about the same thing. Cast members are really good at making sure the bars fit right and if they don't, like the above stated, they will not let them on. We stayed on "33" pounds with our second forever, I was so discouraged. She has stayed small but eats better than the rest so go figure. She's also seldom sick. Have a great trip.

Just a heads up. 7DMT is a mighty mouse ride with lots of sharp turns asned quick up and down motion. Should your child have a delicate stomach or recently eaten a full meal you might want to consider riding a different thrill ride.

I simplify my kiddos' lives (and the possibility of clean up in aisle 3 for me) by ensuring they eat a light meal before doing any thrill rides. We also concentrate on doing those kind of rides in the morning.

7DMT has individual bars that fit back pretty tight. The one to be careful with is BTMRR...I was a very skinny tween and almost fell out because my dad was a little overweight and the bar didn't lock in and so i was loose in there. Scared me for years and I wouldn't ride again for another decade.

have a grandson who to this day is a skinny kids who loves trill rides not just at Disney but any park we go to. he has ridden all that he can as he makes the height and has yet to meet one he doesn't love. other than SDD which wasn't there our last trip he has ridden all including the Mountains with no problems. as a 14 year old he doesn't weigh much over 50 pounds

7DMT and SDD both have split lap bars. Which i think is great for small kids. Especially if the parent riding with them takes up a bit to much space to allow a single lap bar down enough to hold them in.
Also, in my experience, neither of those rides has much lateral force. Unlike big thunder, which pushes me all over the place.

My DD loves roller coasters and is also very skinny. She has been doing them since she was 3 and I normally sit next to her with an arm around her. She is never in any danger but I'll say that even I get airborne on some of the rides we go on (so I'm probably not doing very much by holding onto her). I wouldn't worry about it too much but like a pp said for rides where the lap bar goes across both the parent and the child just put an arm around her, your not going to go flying out and if she likes those rides she will probably find it fun to be airborne for a small amount of time :)

My butt is not pooh size yet I still fly off the seat of ToT.....Wait! Maybe larger would be better?

Last edited:
Thank you! You have all made me feel better. She’s 39.25” at home so I’m thinking she will be too short for BTMRR. Then I can do rider swap. I’m mostly concerned about her bouncing around because the lap bar doesn’t go down far enough. It seems like she should be OK on SDD and 7DMT due to the separate lap bar which I don’t think will bounce too much because it’s newer. Luckily she has a strong stomach thanks to being on her sit and spin every day!!

I still remember my oldest daughters first ride on BTMRR...I was so afraid of her falling out that I had my arm wrapped on her tight the whole ride, and yelled at her every time she tried to raise her arms. In retrospect, the sides of the car were really high so falling out was really unlikely, but man, it is hard to turn off those fears!

Definitely no need to worry. She will not fall off that ride. It’s jerky at a couple of points, but nothing more. I have put my arm around my kids when I was nervous, but it’s fefinitely not necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter