Child with CP-what can she ride with us?

Rmoberle

Earning My Ears
Hello,
My 7 year old has cerebral palsy-she uses a wheelchair and cannot sit unassisted.
Last time we were at WDW she was 3.5, and any of the rides she was interested in and big enough to ride, she was able to sit with us to enjoy (tea cups, small world, Dumbo, etc).
She’s tall enough now, and old enough now, and frankly a bit of a daredevil now, and will be interested in rides like Slinky.
Can anyone share which rides she would be able to ride while either on a lap or next to an adult while being supported by the adult? We want to plan as accurately as possible so there’s no disappointment.
Thanks!

Slinky is two to a set the ride is smooth so as long as the adult next to her feels they can hold her then she might be ok 7 DMT is about the same maybe a little less intense and the sets seem a little smaller

We have two sons with CP, one in a wheelchair who also needs assistance sitting. They are now 21, and they've grown up going to WDW, with us doing as much as possible. Our son does have fair head and neck control, so that makes it easier, but we have to lift and transfer him for most rides. We love the rides like Jungle Cruise and Safari that allow his chair to roll on.

He's able to ride just about everything. On the bigger rollercoasters, they usually have a lap bar, so the person riding next to him has to keep their arm around him to keep him safe. Splash is tame enough that it works well, too. Star Tours and Soarin' has individual seats with belts that have held him great. Mission Space have great restraints, and even Flight of Passage worked well for him.

He can't ride Space Mt at WDW, because the seating is tandem and not side by side. He CAN ride it at Disneyland, where they have an amazing disabled access/loading system with side by side seating.

I'm happy to answer any other specific questions. Have a great trip!

Hi,
I'm a young adult that has cerebral palsy, I managed to do Disney just fine with the rides unassisted if I don't need help with balance issues if you need help with anything I would go to guest services for a disability pass if possible.

We have two sons with CP, one in a wheelchair who also needs assistance sitting. They are now 21, and they've grown up going to WDW, with us doing as much as possible. Our son does have fair head and neck control, so that makes it easier, but we have to lift and transfer him for most rides. We love the rides like Jungle Cruise and Safari that allow his chair to roll on.

He's able to ride just about everything. On the bigger rollercoasters, they usually have a lap bar, so the person riding next to him has to keep their arm around him to keep him safe. Splash is tame enough that it works well, too. Star Tours and Soarin' has individual seats with belts that have held him great. Mission Space have great restraints, and even Flight of Passage worked well for him.

He can't ride Space Mt at WDW, because the seating is tandem and not side by side. He CAN ride it at Disneyland, where they have an amazing disabled access/loading system with side by side seating.

I'm happy to answer any other specific questions. Have a great trip!
How did they get so old?
Goodness! I remember when you first came on the boards when they were little!

For the original poster, you won’t be able to hold her on your lap for anything, but she can sit next to you and in some rides - like Test Track, Soarin’ and Mission Space - she can sit between 2 people.
My daughter also has CP and has good head and neck control. She’s not been on the bigger roller coasters, but has been on wild things like the three I already mentioned, Tower of Terror, Barnstormer, Star Tours, Flight of Passage and Kali River Rapids.

There are some she no longer goes on - Splash Mountain is one. It’s because it just became too hard to put her on, not because the ride was too wild.

There is one ride I advise against trying at all for anyone who does not have good neck, head and trunk control or is not able to brace with their legs and hold - Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom.

It’s looks like a pretty tame roller coaster from the ground, but after making a few sharp turns, it starts freely rotating as it continues to ‘roller coaster.
My 2 daughters (one with CP and her older sister who does not have CP) went on it once.
By the time the ride ended, the spinning and centrifugal forces had forced my daughter with CP’s bottom almost off the seat and the restraint was at underarm height instead of at her waist. Her older sister said that even she was not able to brace well and slid around a lot. They were both well over the height requirement.

This YouTube video shows the spinning on the last half. It spins freely, so you can’t plan which way you will be going.

Also - this is a link to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

Posts 18 thru 21 of that thread have information about accessibility for all attractions. There is information on transfers, including which might be difficult transfers. It also includes those with a wheelchair accessible ride car that guests can stay in their wheelchairs for.
Guests who are able to transfer and sit in a ride car can pretty much ride anything. Even if a guest is not able to transfer, there are plenty things to do. All shows are wheelchair and ECV accessible.

Disney has mouse rules so whatever you feel she can safely ride sitting next to you, you can ride. Even if that means your arm is around her to support her. Depending on her abilities she may even be able to ride mission space. The harness system worked very well for our son. My son laughed so hard he made one of the CM's cry. She hadnt heard something laugh that loud or long ever coming off of mission space.

My children do not have CP but I had an dear favorite aunt with extreme CP until she passed away recently at 75.
She was very well taken care of by her sisters and went to Disneyland (they live in CA) a million times and loved it.

The original (and subsequent postings) made me stop and think about the whining I occasionally did during our many trips to WDW with my girls. I had no right whatsoever to whine about anything and I have the ultimate respect for anyone who goes to Disney with special needs family members. You were and will always be an inspiration to me. God bless you all.

I hope your trip is absolutely wonderful and she gets to ride all the attractions she wants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter