Child with feeding tube

Jester6

Earning My Ears
One of my children receives all of her food via feeding tube. I am making up her food blends beforehand and freezing them in storage bags. I know the freezer in the resort isn't large enough to hold all of her food for the week. We are staying at CBR. Has anyone had to store anything in the freezer by guest services?

I didn't know there was such a thing? We have a travel planner and she called and said we needed freezer space for our child's feeding tube food and they said there was limited space and never mentioned a medcal fridge. I will call today. Thank you

I believe you can rent a freezer for your room. I'm not sure there is any other fridge/freezer for "Guest Services" other than at Bell Services where they accept food deliveries for guests. I don't know that I would trust leaving anything long-term (longer than waiting for my room to be ready) at Bell Services at the resort, if they would even hold it for you that long.

Be aware that the restaurants will not be able to assist with thawing or preparing her food. There are microwaves available in the food courts at resorts, and I believe at the Baby Care location in each park.

Enjoy your vacation!

Rent from the resort or an outside company? Yes, we are used to dealing with not being able to thaw her food easily outside of our home. Thanks, though!

I don't know if it can be done directly through the resort. Maybe. I believe Care Medical used to rent freezers and/or refrigerators, but they closed this past spring. I'd recommend contacting Orlando Medical Rentals to ask for advice. I don't see it listed on their website, but I have read good reports that they are very helpful so it may simply not be listed or they may know who does rent them.

Enjoy your vacation!

stupid question of the day: does it have to be a freezer? will a standard full size medical fridge work( not to be confused with the tiny ones for epi pens/syringes and small bottles of liquid meds)

would they stay safe if you brought them frozen on the first day and they gradually thawed throughout the week? would arranging for dry ice be an option( allowed by the hotel, etc). bringing styrofoam cooler and having ice dumped in it daily?

would they stay safe if you brought them frozen on the first day and they gradually thawed throughout the week?

We do this when we go camping. It's not specially prepared food such as OP's DD needs, but I cook ahead some meals like beef stew, pulled pork, spaghetti sauce, etc. Freeze them solid. Then pack one specific cooler with the frozen items and lots of ice. That cooler is opened just once a day to 1) remove item(s) I will use that day and 2) replenish ice. OP, how do you plan to travel with the food? Will it be in a cooler already? Ice is free at the ice machines. Before all resorts had a fridge provided, we often used a styrofoam cooler for "cold" breakfast items like yogurt, milk, etc. Obviously that wasn't frozen but it did keep everything cold; I think we refreshed the ice twice a day in the styrofoam cooler.

Good luck!

I didn't know there was such a thing? We have a travel planner and she called and said we needed freezer space for our child's feeding tube food and they said there was limited space and never mentioned a medcal fridge. I will call today. Thank you

Please note that the Call Centers are NOT located on site, and can - and have in the past - given Guests inaccurate information about services that are available (or not available, as the case may be)

From this page at the official WDW website, I would start by calling this phone number: (407) 939-1936 and explain that you need access to a freezer for your child's food storage.

One of my children receives all of her food via feeding tube. I am making up her food blends beforehand and freezing them in storage bags. I know the freezer in the resort isn't large enough to hold all of her food for the week. We are staying at CBR. Has anyone had to store anything in the freezer by guest services?

Is there a way for you to keep the food frozen the same way you are transporting it frozen? Ice is free at the resorts.

request a medical fridge for the room.

But that's a fridge, not a freezer. Doesn't CBR already have a fridge in the room? Could they make it cold enough to hold the food? Our fridge at Pop Century froze our water bottles, not on purpose!

These might work:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/koolat...ffcode=pg239968&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

http://www.sears.com/della-16l-port...d=OneBigOutlet&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

If this is something you're going to have to deal with for years, having your own AC/DC freezer might work best.

We've had terrible luck travelling with frozen blends (my son also has a feeding tube and we do blended). If they thaw just a little and then refreeze, they can get really gummy, and the hotel room fridge/freezers are never cold enough. Last time we went to Disney it was a real problem for us, and we ended up having to wing it most of the week because half of our food was unusable. Fortunately we were staying off-property with a full kitchen.

Right now we're trialing some of the new blended food formulas. We're using Nourish now, hoping it will work and we can use it next year for Disney.

Hope you figure something out! Just wanted to let you know you're not alone in your struggle.

1) ALL RESORTS HAVE FREEZERS.
2) The units are basically a Sub-Zero type unit with side-by-side fridge/freezer.
3) Bell Services can store your frozen food for you.
4) Just make sure the containers are securely sealed.
5) They are very picky about possible cross-contamination.

My daughter is tube fed too. Is it possible to do nourish, liquid hope or real food blends while you are there? My daughter is 100% nourish and it’s so much easier to travel with because each package is shelf stable. As a side note, the staff at the medical centers in the parks are amazing. We clean her supplies, clean her, and give her a break from the noise and heat. They can also answer questions about local medical facilities if you need them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!