Chives in a container

aprilvaca04

<font color=purple>Baby Alive scares me!<br><font
My family loves fresh chives so my DD and I planted chives in a container. How big to they need to grow before we can use them. Do I just cut them and they will continue to grow back? I'm so :confused3 !!!!

My family loves fresh chives so my DD and I planted chives in a container. How big to they need to grow before we can use them. Do I just cut them and they will continue to grow back? I'm so :confused3 !!!!

Keep cutting, they'll keep growing. If you let them grow, though, they'll flower, then you can use the flowers in salads and chive-flavored vinegar.

And you can keep your pot outside and they will grow back next spring -- I've had my chive pot for over 10 years! It's a treat to have fresh, fresh, fresh herbs at home.

if for any reason you're not going to use them for a few days cut them right down, so they'll be fresh when you need them. You can also snip them into an ice cube tray, top up with water and freeze, then you can add them to soup etc. in the winter:thumbsup2

Wow, you guys are lucky. My indoor growing chives have always deteriorated and had white mold growing on the seedlings.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Wow, you guys are lucky. My indoor growing chives have always deteriorated and had white mold growing on the seedlings.

No, I wouldn't grow them indoors! They're very hardy, and much happier outdoors. I'm assuming the OP was attempting to grow them in a container outside.

Bobbi, I bet if you put a pot outside you could have fresh chives in the spring, summer and fall, too. They are very hardy -- we get down to 20 below here and they pop right back up in a plain old plastic pot.

Bobbi, I bet if you put a pot outside you could have fresh chives in the spring, summer and fall, too. They are very hardy -- we get down to 20 below here and they pop right back up in a plain old plastic pot.

No, I wouldn't grow them indoors! They're very hardy, and much happier outdoors. I'm assuming the OP was attempting to grow them in a container outside.

OK...this is very good to know. Thank you. I still have seeds and I will plant them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter