Christmas shopping- Has anyone started?

I'm about 1/2 done. Bought the first gift in January when I found something that "screamed" someone's name and the price was right.

I picked up the year-round strategy when I used to work in retail. During the holidays, the LAST thing I wanted to do when not working was go shopping.

Last edited:
I'm mostly concentrating on birthdays right now. Both kids and my husband are in October.

But I did pick up some local pancake mix and some NY maple syrup at a festival for my in-laws who love getting breakfast stuff for Christmas.

I bought one gift on Prime Day.
Last week I found my favorite perfume on clearance at TJ Maxx so I bought it and put in my stash box for someone to "give" to me. :rolleyes1

Sort of. We paid for dd to travel to see the Jonas Brothers Labor Day weekend so the 5th row tickets and hotel stay was close to her Christmas budget. I also got her a waist bag AKA a fanny pack during a flash sale at Macy's a couple weeks ago.
We paid half of ds's new gaming laptop, that was his entire Christmas budget.
I'll get them each some stocking stuffers and GCs for gas and food but that is it.
I got my other ds an NBA jacket because I was worried it would sell out fast.
I got dh a yeti cooler that was on sale plus a discount code could be used.

For the last couple years I've been proposing we take a trip over Christmas break but the kids have wanted to be home for the holidays. We've talked about and they are on board for a trip but we just can't figure out where LOL. I was checking out flights and hotels for Orlando, I'm thinking we can catch a Magic's game, hit the NBA experience and go to Universal.
If we decide to go then my shopping will be done for us.

I plan on doing food gifts for parents and grandparents so I will wait til it gets closer before I order them.
I'm making infused spirits for my SIL's and BIL's and will have to start those around Thanksgiving.

My only is DD20. Last year on a whim I bought her AWAY luggage and she loved it. Fluke gift she didn't ask for but I got myself one so got her one. I might now get her the AWAY Weekended soft carry. I love this luggage! I picked up the apple ear things that dangle so she has music while she works out. Cute lego set that was an exclusive in store thing so I got on ebay later . We love SIMPLE SUGARS body scrub that was on shark tank few years back - picked that up . Looking for Coach small backpack now....

Yes. During the pre-Labor-Day sale, I bought 2020 Six Flags passes for my brother and his kids (in addition to the passes for my family). This is my second year giving those passes, and I know they use them. I did check with my brother before I bought, and got the green light.

Found some discounted Legos at Target a week or so ago. Best thing about Legos is that all my kids and nieces and nephews like them, so I can use these sets to "fill in the blanks" around the other items I find that might be more specifically geared to individual kids.

I also use the Target clearance to buy good stuff for Toys for Tots. My kids' school does a yearly toy drive, and they love to participate. I always want to get good quality things when I find them rather than running around at the last minute when there are no deals on good stuff (I refuse to buy junk for donation; if I wouldn't give it to someone I know, I won't give it to someone I don't know).

I bought DD a Belle dress and tiara at the Disney Store's Twice Upon a Year Sale back in June. She won't know (or care) that it was last year's design.

Purchased some things over the last couple of months for my niece & nephew. Got my sister part of her Christmas present when I was ordering her birthday gift last week. Just got my parents & BIL to buy for. My parents will probably be gifted some money toward the cruise they want to take next year.

DS wants to go see Wicked again and it is coming to our city over the Christmas holiday. Single tickets go on sale this coming Monday, so I will be getting him two tickets (best centered location I can get) -- makes Christmas shopping pretty darn easy. I'll just get something small for DH (his favorite chocolate covered almonds from private school fund raiser where DS used to attend) and for my dad I'll just get something little - not sure what yet. And for my brother and his family, I just sent over priced Harry and David pears. I've cut out any exchange with anyone else and give cash to a few people with card who do services for us. I've really cut back and am super happy not do be buying stuff just to be buying stuff. I don't like shopping DS is 24, though, so I totally get the gifts and Christmas magic for young kids in the home (always felt like a lot of work to me and always felt like it was pretty inefficient - lots of stuff they didn't really ever use, so kind of nice for me to have all that over for a while - easy/peasy).

Last edited:
DS wants to go see Wicked again and it is coming to our city over the Christmas holiday. Single tickets go on sale this coming Monday, so I will be getting him two tickets (best centered location I can get) -- makes Christmas shopping pretty darn easy. I'll just get something small for DH (his favorite chocolate covered almonds from private school fund raiser where DS used to attend) and for my dad I'll just get something little - not sure what yet. And for my brother and his family, I just sent over priced Harry and David pears. I've cut out any exchange with anyone else and give cash to a few people with card who do services for us. I've really cut back and am super happy not do be buying stuff just to be buying stuff. I don't like shopping DS is 24, though, so I totally get the gifts and Christmas magic for young kids in the home (always felt like a lot of work to me and always felt like it was pretty inefficient - lots of stuff they didn't really ever use, so kind of nice for me to have all that over for a while - easy/peasy).

I really do love shopping for kids, but I have such a hard time shopping for adults. Most grownups just buy whatever they want. DH is literally the worst because every time there's something he doesn't have that he expresses interest in, he always buys it for himself before I can get it as a surprise.

Last edited:
i can't really start until early december-my 'kids' are into video games and electronics which i won't buy more than 30 days before b/c i won't open electronics up to test them and i don't want them to open them to find a problem that they have to deal with under warranty vs. store return (worked in an electronics store back in the day-it was a common complaint with recipients who got items the gifter bought a few months before christmas).

I pick up things for the family all year and put them in a box labeled Christmas 2019. Majority of the gifts for my nephew and family are Disney GC for their vacation.

I didn't plan on it...but after my BF and I went to a movie this afternoon, we walked around the mall just to stretch our legs and this store called Francescas's (it's a chain) is closing....and everything, even clearance items, were 75% off!!! I got some jewelry and a clutch for my sister. Wasn't planning on that!

I also got 7 dresses, 2 tops and a pair of earrings for $59 for myself. So that was that!

Yes, started, but not in any seriousness. I picked out fabrics for a couple of people and sent them off to a lady who designs and sews bags on Etsy. Since she does a lot of custom work, I thought I'd beat the Christmas rush and get mine by September.

This comes across as snarky, not sure if that is what you meant or not but I suspect you did. I find it a better approach to just not read a thread if I don't think it's something that applies to me.

Yes I have a very irreverent sense of humor.

Yes I have a very irreverent sense of humor.

My own sense of humor tends very heavily to the sarcastic side, which is fine when I am with a group of people I know well, but it's not suitable on a message board with a wide audience. In that light, your comment does not come across as "humorous" at all, but rather as troll-ish. But trolls are gonna troll, right?

Last edited:
Yup. A Millenium Falcon Hot Wheels set was on clearance at Wal-Mart. I bought one for my son for his 6th birthday...then bought a set for my friend's kids for Christmas. I was shopping at Target with a friend. I SWORE I wasn't buying anything. Well.. the Bowser Castle from the Mario Playset was there. It was about $30 less than Amazon, so I HAD to get it. It is all my 8 year old has been asking for. Waiting for Black Friday or Cybe Monday sales to get a Switch as the BIG family gift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter