Cirque du Soleil ?

Sorry to see La Nouba go. Have seen it 3 times 1st in 2000 again in about 2009 and then this past summer. All 3 it was outstanding and there were changes to the show. I have seen about 10 different shows and they are all great and this was probably 2nd only to "O" in Vegas. BTW they do free rehearsals 2 days a week and it was a lot of fun to watch that. Sorry forget which days but it is usually from 3:30 to 4PM with a quick Q & A with a performer or 2 at the end. Of course they open the gift shop so it is a $

I"m trying to decide if I want to surprise my DD (19) and DS (16) with tickets to La Nouba during our visit. I was going to ask how it compares to the Vegas Cirque shows. We have seen Mystere, KA and O and loved them. I think my favorite was Mystere. It sounds like you would recommend getting the tickets??
I would appreciate any feedback.
TIA!
Amy

have ticket to closing night, last performance. cant wait. A couple thoughts...

Didn't CdS just buy the rights to Blue Man Group? That would influence a potential move to Disney Springs from Universal City Walk.

Has CdS done a Disney themed should in the past? With Elvis and Michael Jackson in the books, seems like there may be potential in it for a show at Disney.

Didn't CdS just buy the rights to Blue Man Group? That would influence a potential move to Disney Springs from Universal City Walk.

Has CdS done a Disney themed should in the past? With Elvis and Michael Jackson in the books, seems like there may be potential in it for a show at Disney.
just a rumor I think I got mixed up with universal and the blue man crew

I"m trying to decide if I want to surprise my DD (19) and DS (16) with tickets to La Nouba during our visit. I was going to ask how it compares to the Vegas Cirque shows. We have seen Mystere, KA and O and loved them. I think my favorite was Mystere. It sounds like you would recommend getting the tickets??

I've seen Mystere, Ka, O, Love, and Zumanity in Las Vegas. I've also seen a half dozen of the touring shows.

I think that O is probably the best Cirque du Soleil show I've seen. The water makes it unique. That said, I do have fond memories of Mystere. I've easily seen it six or seven times.

Mystere and La Nouba are similar in that they don't rely on a central "gimmick", like the water for O. Instead, they use the more traditional circus acts within the fantasy world of Cirque. I will say that the final act of La Nouba (power track) is hands down my favorite Cirque act of any show. I've seen La Nouba well over 20 times and that last act is still remarkable every single time.

have ticket to closing night, last performance. cant wait.

I used to work at Disney World. When I left, I promised myself that I'd never be in Orlando over New Year's Eve. It's a madhouse.

Then...I found out that the final showing of La Nouba was on 12/31. I bit the bullet and bought a ticket for that last show.

Cirque du Soleil has never partnered with Disney (beyond the business arrangement that resulted in La Nouba). Cirque has changed a lot since La Nouba opened in 1998. As you've referenced, they are much more comfortable working with outside companies on the creative side. I do think this change in Cirque does make a Disney-centric show a possibility.

did some reseach (google is amazing...LOL) and CdS did purchase Blue Man Group this past July. So ya never know....

I've seen Mystere, Ka, O, Love, and Zumanity in Las Vegas. I've also seen a half dozen of the touring shows.

I think that O is probably the best Cirque du Soleil show I've seen. The water makes it unique. That said, I do have fond memories of Mystere. I've easily seen it six or seven times.

Mystere and La Nouba are similar in that they don't rely on a central "gimmick", like the water for O. Instead, they use the more traditional circus acts within the fantasy world of Cirque. I will say that the final act of La Nouba (power track) is hands down my favorite Cirque act of any show. I've seen La Nouba well over 20 times and that last act is still remarkable every single time.

I used to work at Disney World. When I left, I promised myself that I'd never be in Orlando over New Year's Eve. It's a madhouse.

Then...I found out that the final showing of La Nouba was on 12/31. I bit the bullet and bought a ticket for that last show.

Cirque du Soleil has never partnered with Disney (beyond the business arrangement that resulted in La Nouba). Cirque has changed a lot since La Nouba opened in 1998. As you've referenced, they are much more comfortable working with outside companies on the creative side. I do think this change in Cirque does make a Disney-centric show a possibility.

Thank you so much for your input. Looks like I'll be buying tickets for La Nouba!!

Would people be upset for the building to change into an AMC IMAX?

I can't see that happening. Adaptive reuse of buildings tends to only happen when buildings are historic structures or when space is limited. It also can be really expensive.

The La Nouba theatre uses a thrust stage. The audience surrounds the stage on three sides. It's a good set-up for a theatrical production with lots of movement because you can fit in a lot of people but even people in the last row aren't too far from the stage.

la-nouba-seating.jpg

A thrust stage not a good design for movies because everyone but people in the dead center would be watching from an angle. Splitting the theatre up into multiple theaters with traditional straight-ahead seating would likely be an expensive project. You'd have to install sound-proof walls.

Additionally, you'd end up with theaters that would have massively tall ceilings, probably causing sound issues. The La Nouba theatre is 152 feet tall. A standard IMAX screen is a little over 50 feet tall. The world's largest IMAX in Sydney, Australia is 97 feet tall. Installing movie theaters in the existing building would leave a ton of wasted space above the audience. It would likely feel oddly out-of-proportion.

I can't see that happening. Adaptive reuse of buildings tends to only happen when buildings are historic structures or when space is limited. It also can be really expensive.

The La Nouba theatre uses a thrust stage. The audience surrounds the stage on three sides. It's a good set-up for a theatrical production with lots of movement because you can fit in a lot of people but even people in the last row aren't too far from the stage.

la-nouba-seating.jpg

A thrust stage not a good design for movies because everyone but people in the dead center would be watching from an angle. Splitting the theatre up into multiple theaters with traditional straight-ahead seating would likely be an expensive project. You'd have to install sound-proof walls.

Additionally, you'd end up with theaters that would have massively tall ceilings, probably causing sound issues. The La Nouba theatre is 152 feet tall. A standard IMAX screen is a little over 50 feet tall. The world's largest IMAX in Sydney, Australia is 97 feet tall. Installing movie theaters in the existing building would leave a ton of wasted space above the audience. It would likely feel oddly out-of-proportion.

In laymans terms, watching a movie in this setting is like the new Soarin' ... if you're not B - and especially B1 - it all will look pretty screwy and distorted.

I’m against an IMAX but just wondered about opinion

Nothing wrong with that. I hope you didn't find offense in my (admittedly) detailed response. That wasn't my intent, at all.

I have a narrow band of expertise. I used to work for a non-profit, live theatre group, so I know quite a bit about theatres and the touring Broadway market. We also were a local partner of Cirque du Soleil for one of their touring shows when I worked that job. I was just trying to provide information from that perspective.

I'm a huge Cirque du Soleil fan. I'm probably a bigger Cirque fan than a Disney fan. As such, I hope Cirque stays.

As a company, the Cirque of 1998 (when La Nouba premiered) and the Cirque of today are very different. Today, Cirque du Soleil is much more comfortable working with people outside their organization. To me, that quality leads me to believe that any new Cirque show at Disney Springs would likely include direct influences/songs/characters from the Disney catalog.

If Cirque and Disney are smart, they will create a show that could also be taken on the road. Create a Cirque/Disney Extravaganza and have it at Walt Disney World for a few years. Then, adapt it for the tent and send it version on an international tour. And just replace it with brand new acts at Disney Springs.
Great idea - combining the two would be a tremendous opportunity for a really magic show that would outshine anything that has been there before.

I know I'm not the only one with this sentiment, however I truly hope that they bring in a new Cirque show or consider a Broadway style Disney World exclusive show. Considering how successful La Nouba has been for the last twenty years, and the crowds that Disney theater entertainment draws, I think it would be foolish to put anything else in its place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!