City of Disney citizen proposal

For clarification purposes...will this be a city like Miami for example? Like Walt Disney World will be located in Disney, Florida?
Most likely. Much of Disney is considered to be located in Lake Buena Vista which would then be called City of Disney instead.

Most likely. Much of Disney is considered to be located in Lake Buena Vista which would then be called City of Disney instead.

The whole “City of Disney” is confusing me. I may be overthinking this, but will it just be Disney or sort of a part of Orlando? I guess I’m asking will it be a city in the sense of Philadelphia, Denver, or Dallas

The whole “City of Disney” is confusing me. I may be overthinking this, but will it just be Disney or sort of a part of Orlando? I guess I’m asking will it be a city in the sense of Philadelphia, Denver, or Dallas
Disney isn’t located in Orlando proper. It’s outside of Orlando. Disney owns all of the land it sits on and is its own city already which is run by the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

When Walt bought the land in Florida, he negotiated with the State of Florida for what became the the Ready Creek Improvement District to have local autonomy, with the the Walt Disney Co. having governmental control. Remember, Walt never planned to build a vacation resort, his plan was to build a real, honest-to-goodness city, where Disney and partner corporations would control local government and set the locals laws, tax rates and pay wages. One reason he picked Florida was because it was "business friendly" (low taxes and weak labor laws). It was Walt's dream to escape the quagmire of local government (LA, OC, Anaheim and fickle citizens) and labor unions and build a productive, efficient city of the future (tthe concept would be considered very "libertarian" today). When Walt died, Roy determined EPCOT was a long shot to begin with and too difficult to sell without Walt, that's when they scrapped everything and started planning the MK and WDW.

But the Reedy Creek Improvement District has keep its autonomy, it does not belong to Orlando or any of the surrounding counties. Through the years Disney found it beneficial to have various "incorporated cities" (partly from when they were buying the land), but now they consolidating those cities and the rest of the unincorporated Reedy Creek Improvement District into one incorporated City of Disney.

It's important to note, Celebration is no longer part of the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Disney sliced that off into Osceola County. I don't think there are any full-time residences in the Reedy Creek, Bay Lake, or Lake Buena Vista districts. Why? Because according to Florida law, then they would have a say in local elections and government policies once it incorporated.

Last edited:

Ok apparently this is part of a public proposal that the state asked residents to send in amendments. This likely won’t go anywhere.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...ments-here-are-3-of-our-favorite-submissions/
And the submitter of the City of Disney proposal, Loyal Millett, an Uber driver from Utah who has only visited Florida once, has submitted over 100 other proposals. Interesting.

I hate to say I kind of like the SoFlaExit proposal, although I'd like to keep Monroe County...

Last edited:
Definitely taking this with salt. But according to this article I can apparently rename any city in Florida to whatever I want...

So what happens to all of the other businesses in Lake Buena Vista? Are they supposed to all change their addresses, websites, marketing materials, etc. to say that they are within the "City of Disney?" This just doesn't make any sense.

So what happens to all of the other businesses in Lake Buena Vista? Are they supposed to all change their addresses, websites, marketing materials, etc. to say that they are within the "City of Disney?" This just doesn't make any sense.
It is a citizen proposal for a Florida Constitutional amendment. It likely won't ever happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!