Claiming on travel insurance after bereavement

Portugal1000

DIS Veteran
unfortunately my father in law died yesterday. We were due to go to Orlando on 6th October and of course no question that we will go. Have been very lucky in the past and never ever had to cancel any holidays so not sure what the process is other than calling insurance tomorrow. My father in law in his 80's had a fall and been in hospital since Tuesday and died of heart failure. A couple of people mentioned to me that insurance may try to claim pre existing conditions based on age. That never occurred to me to call insurance before trips. I wondered if anyone had similar experiences and what type of info insurance needs. Whatever happens we won't go but just wanted to be prepared.
Thank you

unfortunately my father in law died yesterday. We were due to go to Orlando on 6th October and of course no question that we will go. Have been very lucky in the past and never ever had to cancel any holidays so not sure what the process is other than calling insurance tomorrow. My father in law in his 80's had a fall and been in hospital since Tuesday and died of heart failure. A couple of people mentioned to me that insurance may try to claim pre existing conditions based on age. That never occurred to me to call insurance before trips. I wondered if anyone had similar experiences and what type of info insurance needs. Whatever happens we won't go but just wanted to be prepared.
Thank you

Sorry to hear your sad news.

My Uncle and Nan both died overseas, which while not the same situation, the claim process is similar for holiday costs. They'll want to know the cause of death. If there are heart problems were a known pre-exisiting condition but not declared you could have issues as you may have had to pay an increased premium for your cover. If he had an pre existing condition, but it was not reported to a GP or diagnosed, they should pay out.

They'll likely ask for agreement to receive copies of his medical records, GP Address etc.

If you can’t go because of a death you should be covered for cancellation. Your father in laws past health shouldn’t come into it as he wasn’t the one insured. The fact is that you can’t go and that’s what the insurance is for.

Side note my partners mum died two weeks ago but we are now in Disney... he made the decision that she would not know whether he was at the funeral or not, whereas he knew that he needed a break after dealing with everything .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!