Class of 2021 Parents

This post is both HS and Disney related! Whenever I have picked DS up from soccer pre-season camp or regular practice, the marching band has been practicing in the parking lot. Their show this season is The Nightmare Before Christmas! I love hearing the music as I wait for practice to finish! We drive away singing along to, “What’s this? What’s this?” I can’t wait to see the whole show at a football game. Football is not the big sport at this school (Texans heads are exploding right now with that statement) but I think most everyone does go to the homecoming game, so I’ll get to see it there. And apparently it’s a thing for the sports teams to tease each other. When cross country runs by soccer practice, the kids yell “Soccer’s not a real sport!” When the soccer team runs by volleyball practice, they yell “Volleyball’s not a real sport!” DS said they thought about yelling “Football’s not a real sport!” while running past football practice. I said, “Son, how fast can you run?”

Can I join too? My youngest son, DD14, starts HS the day after Labor Day. He isn't thrilled about going back. . . he'd rather be home playing video games. He is planning on trying out for the soccer team. Tryouts start the first day of school. He made the team last year, but it is very competitive as his school is large and lots of boys try out for the team. Our school district is doing something different this year. Their reconfiguration plan has the 9th grade staying in the Junior High for the first time this year, even though the 9th grade is still considered HS.

Can I join too? My youngest son, DD14, starts HS the day after Labor Day. He isn't thrilled about going back. . . he'd rather be home playing video games. He is planning on trying out for the soccer team. Tryouts start the first day of school. He made the team last year, but it is very competitive as his school is large and lots of boys try out for the team. Our school district is doing something different this year. Their reconfiguration plan has the 9th grade staying in the Junior High for the first time this year, even though the 9th grade is still considered HS.

Best of luck to your son on the soccer tryouts!

Well, DS got all registered today. He received his list of classes but no teachers or room numbers yet. They won't get that until the first day of school (so it is always a mad scramble to try and find classes that day). Also, they replaced all the lockers, which is a good thing since the old ones were pretty bad except they aren't ready yet so they won't get their locker location until the first day also. Yikes, LOL. But he is happy with the classes he received since they were all the ones he was expecting/hoping for. They had orientation this afternoon with the upperclassmen so I'm curious to find out how that went :)

CORRECTION: DS14, NOT DD14 :-)

Count me in! DD started high school two weeks ago. She's on the volleyball team, and actually played tournaments and went to open gyms all summer. That helped ease the nerves about high school a lot. She made some new friends before school even started, and the older girls have been really nice about showing them the ropes.

She has always been pretty introverted and a major homebody. I do love seeing her become more independent, join in the high school activities, etc. But I have to admit it's been a little hard too. I mean, didn't I *JUST* send her to preschool? LOL! We're kind of making up the rules as we go along for things like riding in cars with upperclassmen, how often she has to check in, and curfew. It's a whole new world for all of us!

(...) We're kind of making up the rules as we go along for things like riding in cars with upperclassmen, how often she has to check in, and curfew. It's a whole new world for all of us!

That reminds me - what do you guys do for spending money at this age? Are your kids getting allowance or is their hand constantly out asking for more? Are they still on a cash system or do they have bank accounts? What expenses are their responsibility?

For years, I gave Alison $1 per year (age-wise) per week. It was for the "stuff" she wanted that I didn't want to pay for. I paid her bi-weekly since that is when I get paid to encourage budgeting. Money still burns a hole in her pocket though, so while we were planning trips, she would ask me to hold onto her money so she would have spending money. It seems that we have perpetually been in trip-planning mode, so this is the first time in a long time when we haven't had a trip coming up. She doesn't just go out randomly with friends much, but there is always a ball game or day trip or something going on. I am thinking about opening a checking account that I can move money into each payday. I pay for lunch, clothes, school fees, etc. now, so it would be for cos-play stuff, movies with friends, etc.

I'm glad that riding in cars with upperclassman hasn't come up yet. I was of the opinion that it was no big deal until I was in the parking lot when band camp got out a few times - some of the kids are INSANE. I saw kids hanging out windows, cars racing side-by-side between rows in the parking lot, and I saw a boy driving a car from one side of campus to the other with 4 girls hanging on the OUTSIDE of the car.

Well today, my daughter has freshman orientation. The freshman were invited up to school, got to go to each of their classes for like 15 min, got supply lists, meet their teachers, counselors, etc. It was from 7:15-11:15, they also ate lunch in the cafeteria. She said it was really nice and seemed not nervous at all. Said it went well.

DH and I definitely need to discuss the money thing to make sure we're on the same page. We've never done regular allowance. She doesn't like shopping, rarely goes out, and really doesn't ask for much. So when she does ask, we usually just get it for her or give her a bit of $. I know that's not the best system! She needs to learn to handle money, budget, etc. I think by the time she's 16, she should have a checking account and debit card, but for now, we'll probably deal mainly with cash.

I'd be interested to hear how others handle it as well!

DD gets an allowance. It isn't much just $5 every two weeks, but it gives her the ideal of saving and spending. We allow her to spend that money on whatever she wants. As for anything else she usually just asks us and we give her the money if she needs it. She doesn't go out much because she is always so busy with band and dance so we haven't hit that part of high school yet. I assume we will need to adjust things as she gets older and starts driving, but I can totally wait for that to happen.

He used to get about $10-$15/week for walking up to his younger brother's school and watching him for an hour or two after school. But since he's at band practice 4 different days after school, he doesn't make as much now. Also, he hoards his money and spends it on big things (like an iPhone 7 last year), so we typically just pay for any extras (movies, etc.). Neither DH nor I got a regular allowance, but we both started working part-time jobs when we were 15/16. I can't imagine DS having a part-time job at that age (probably a summer job -- but, not a during the school year job -- who knows, though).

Are any other kids taking an AP class this year? For 9th grade at his school, they offer one: Human Geography. And evidently, based on this week's test results, it's a little tougher than he and his friends were anticipating (even despite what they thought was thorough studying).

I think I'm going back to an old system I had with my older kids, you get $15 a week for lunch money, but feel free to keep it and make lunch. HS has open lunch, everyone goes out to eat, tons of places.

Both ds14 and dd14 are taking honors english, honors biology, honors history, accelerated algebra 2, physics, ds has Spanish 2, dd Spanish 3 honors. AP classes are only offered to juniors and seniors. Both have choir.

[QUOTE="Are any other kids taking an AP class this year? For 9th grade at his school, they offer one: Human Geography. And evidently, based on this week's test results, it's a little tougher than he and his friends were anticipating (even despite what they thought was thorough studying).[/QUOTE]

They only offer one to us in Freshman year which is AP World History and in order to get in it you had to have permission from your 8th grade english and social studies teachers. DD got permission from both teachers so she was enrolled in the AP World History class this year.

Other classes she has is Introduction to Engineering Design, Honors English 1, Concert Band 1, Geometry (She had Algebra 1 last year), Biology, and French 1.

Thanks for bringing up riding in upper class cars! The third day of school my freshman announces he is getting a ride to school from a junior who lives a few houses down from us. I’ve never ever seen a high school aged person on our street, because it’s not like they play outside or anything! So I’m like, who is this person? Well, he met him in soccer pre-season camp and he’s had his license for a while and he’s really cool, etc., etc. I’m like, well ok, it’s good to have back up transportation options as there is no bus for HS kids in our neighborhood. It did give me pause, but I then met the kid at the soccer dinner and felt better once I met him. And I agree with the poster who talked about seeing student drivers in the HS parking lot doing crazy things. I definitely have to put on my defensive driving skills when I go near the parking lot!

And thanks for mentioning AP classes as a freshman. DS is in the MYP curriculum, which is the precursor to IB. His MYP government teacher stated at BTSN that the students in this class have the option of taking AP Government and AP Human Geo at the end of the year. She said they can sit for government no problem, and with a little bit of outside work that she can provide they will also be ready for the human geo exam. My kid is like, yes please, I’ll potentially get some college credit in 9th grade! (I dig his attitude.) When the deadline is looming to register for the tests he’ll decide if it’s just one or both.

He used to get about $10-$15/week for walking up to his younger brother's school and watching him for an hour or two after school. But since he's at band practice 4 different days after school, he doesn't make as much now. Also, he hoards his money and spends it on big things (like an iPhone 7 last year), so we typically just pay for any extras (movies, etc.). Neither DH nor I got a regular allowance, but we both started working part-time jobs when we were 15/16. I can't imagine DS having a part-time job at that age (probably a summer job -- but, not a during the school year job -- who knows, though).

Are any other kids taking an AP class this year? For 9th grade at his school, they offer one: Human Geography. And evidently, based on this week's test results, it's a little tougher than he and his friends were anticipating (even despite what they thought was thorough studying).

Our school starts AP classes in 11th grade, but she is in pre-AP English. I was talking to her English teacher, and she said the test has gotten harder over the years. She is in several other classes that will feed into the AP classes next year. I'm still debating whether the dual-credit option is better or whether the AP option is better. At this point, she is talking about attending a small liberal arts school. I'll ultimately let her make the decision, but I want to make sure it is an informed decision.

MY DD starts on Tuesday. I'm a little concerned because she is on the young side, (still 13) and she is in all honors classes for the first time. She seems to be taking it well, not super nervous. Our town is big and we are a regional school district so a lot of the kids get split up for high school. She is going to school in the next town (we are on the border) She doesn't know a lot of kids going there but hopefully she will make some great new friends. There are 535 freshman so she should have a lot to chose from!
Does anyone have a block schedule? They are moving to one for her sophomore year and I was wondering how that worked? I hear it's hard if they miss school for any reason because they miss a lot. I talked to someone I know who teaches there and she is concerned about how lunch will run. She said all the kids eat at the same time. I'm not sure how over 2,000 kids will all eat at one time?

MY DD starts on Tuesday. I'm a little concerned because she is on the young side, (still 13) and she is in all honors classes for the first time. She seems to be taking it well, not super nervous. Our town is big and we are a regional school district so a lot of the kids get split up for high school. She is going to school in the next town (we are on the border) She doesn't know a lot of kids going there but hopefully she will make some great new friends. There are 535 freshman so she should have a lot to chose from!
Does anyone have a block schedule? They are moving to one for her sophomore year and I was wondering how that worked? I hear it's hard if they miss school for any reason because they miss a lot. I talked to someone I know who teaches there and she is concerned about how lunch will run. She said all the kids eat at the same time. I'm not sure how over 2,000 kids will all eat at one time?
We are switching to a rotating drop schedule, so each day one class will be dropped. Everyone will have the same lunch, about 1200 students, cafeteria seats about 50. Should be interesting!

DD started this past Tuesday; everything went well. It's a small High School; all the kids come from the same middle school.
Her big news this year is that after 10 years of ballet, the last few of which were at a very intensive level, she is trading in her pointe shoes to give drama a try. After a brief mourning period on my part, I am starting to get excited. Auditions are this Wednesday for The Diary of Anne Frank. Fingers crossed!

Alison has had a block schedule since 6th grade. She takes 8 classes, and each class meets every other day for almost 2 hours (with some exceptions - in junior high, English met every day, and during marching season, band meets every day). She has almost always had one day that was easier than the other, and I like that she has 2 days to do homework for each class. Teachers seem to get more done in a class period - for instance, if the kids are taking a test, they take the test then begin the next unit.

At our school, 3rd block is extended, and all students eat lunch during 3rd block...but not all at once! Each class has an assigned time to eat.

Autumn has a block schedule on Monday and Tuesday.

Hours 1, 3, 5, 7 on Monday
Hours 2, Advisory, 4, 6 on Tuesday
Hours 1-7 on Wed, Thurs, and Fri

Does your high school have open campus? For all grades? Ours does, which surprised me. If you have a free period you are allowed to roam (7-11, Dunkin, Burger King real close by and walkable). If you have a car, you may go as far as it can take you round trip to get back in time for your next class. Yesterday was a compressed schedule because of homecoming pep rally and I happened to be running a bunch of errands. There were HS kids in their HS spirit wear everywhere I went. The ones causing trouble in the toy section of Wal-Mart reeked of beer, so I was really wondering how exactly they were getting back into school for the pep rally! I guess it’s good, because it’s kind of like college and you are on your own to get to your classes. They don’t have homeroom, so if first period is your free period, you can come to school later. But then again, it’s bad, because you can be drunk at Wal-Mart at 11:30am!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter