Coco Cay Closing tomorrow for Dorian, will be closed until Sep 4th

atricks

DIS Veteran
Dorian's now forecast to become a hurricane and it looks like they've decided to shut down the private island. If this system heads to Cape Canaveral like the track shows that'll cause problems for those getting on/off at Port Canaveral (They may have to relocate to Miami or elsewhere depending on where the storm actually winds up).

I have a few friends living and working on the island. They're currently being evacuated. Hope everyone stays safe and there's not too much damage.

I too hope and pray everyone will be safe. I keep telling myself - even though I am bummed we will not be stopping there next week - it's more important that the lovely people who work on the island are safe. And what a reason to book another cruise! Just NEVER again during hurricane season. :)

Wow. We were initially planning on doing our (almost annual) cruise this week but my brother's wife was expecting so we punted this year, and went to California instead (tentative report title - If It's Late August, We Must Be Cruising (along California's Coastline)). Seems fortunate for us in hindsight.

Hope everyone working there gets out ok and stays safe.

The island crew have been evacuated to Nassau. A friend sent me a video and it's taking a battering. No word on when they will get back to coco cay, but I hope it isn't too badly damaged.
My current ship isn't effected and we arent due at coco cay for over a month.

Hope everyone else out there stays safe!

DW has friend doing Navigator on Friday and guess it is 1st ship back to Coco.

I received an email today stating:

"While CocoCay was somewhat spared from Hurricane Dorian's destruction and we did not have any major damage, the storm left behind debris, washed away some of our sand and bricks, and took down many of our trees. As a result, your pre-booked Helium Balloon unfortunately needs to be cancelled."

They do not give a timeline or anything but thought I would give others a heads up in case they had this excursion booked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!