College freshman care package ?

tjmw2727

DIS Veteran
I want to send my nephew some love - I have done many care packages but I have two dd's 5 nieces and only one nephew so I am out of ideas!

I have a box started with his fav snacks and candy along with a few other traditional essentials and a couple gift cards but I am coming up empty for fun but small dorm (strict dorm) appropriate items. His mom just sent laundry items and toiletry type things so that's taken care of for a while.

Anyone care to share ideas for young men, what did your kids really appreciate - something fun but not to silly maybe?

Yep, boys are harder (DS just graduated this year). Food was always welcome but I tried to include other stuff too.

Agree with pp about holiday decorations. He liked crazy printed socks too. Or really warm socks, gloves and beanie if in a cold climate (they are often lost and can always use another- same with inexpensive ear buds or phone charging cables.) Games to play with friends- Cards Against Humanity, Exploding Kittens, etc. Scratch off lottery tickets.

Any chance you could call or email him to find out if he is in need of something specific that would really help him out if you were to gift it?

Thanks everyone - great ideas I am so glad I asked.

My dd's loved the battery operated lights but I really wasn't thinking of that for a male! I will do that with command hooks, also love the putty. I usually do socks along with a holiday gift so I may pass on that, was gonna do cash forgot to mention it as they have a "rec room" with snacks for purchase. Didn't think of games or scratch offs - will definitely include those, maybe just a deck of cards.

Hard no on the condoms and sadly no pizza either although he would Love it (he's in the middle of nowhere).

Last year I sent my kids care packages a few weeks before final exams. They had 14 days left, so I sent 14 small items wrapped up for them to open, one each day.

It was such a hit! Their roommates would excitedly watch them open each little gift, and I included a $5 Tim Hortons (local coffee shop) gift card for the roommate too. You would have thought I sent them $100, they were so grateful.

I just did tiny things: candy, lip balm, pens, post it notes, little boxes of cereal, $5 gift cards to local restaurants, gum, etc. I think it was the act of unwrapping it that made it so extra special.

My DS is a junior this year at a college on the other side of the country. I send him a lot of packages. Most are things he asks for (a phone charger, a knee brace, an exercise band, etc.). I order almost everything from Amazon and frequently toss in little surprises (a bag of candy, cookies, etc.) with whatever else he needs. I've found that if I send too much random stuff, it doesn't get used or eaten because he simply doesn't have the time. The two things I know he can always use are Starbuck's card and money!

At the beginning of his freshman year, I got together with a bunch of moms and made care packages. All of our kids graduated high school together and had gone off to different schools. We each brought enough of one item (snacks, gum, popcorn, etc.) for all of the kids and laid it all out on a table. After drinking margaritas and talking about sending our kids away to school, we each got a box and made a care package for our own child. Then we passed around cards for each kid and we all signed them. My DS said he loved reading the messages from his friends' moms and getting a nice assortment of stuff in the mail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter