College Graduation Gift for DD

runwad

Dis Veteran
Our dd is graduating Saturday with an Engineering degree. She doesn't have a job as of yet but will start looking. We went on a Disney trip in April and that was her graduation gift, but I'd like to give her a little something on Saturday? Nothing too extravagant, as we will probably be paying off her student loans sometime in the future; after she has been paying on them for a little bit (but she doesn't know this).

She has enough little knick knacks, so I don't want a plaque or a figurine but I'm at a loss for thinking of something for her. She really likes jewelry but has so much already!!

Anyone have any ideas??

I am buying my graduating daughter a good business suit. I am giving her a card and telling her to pick a suit shopping day

I second the idea of a bag! Both of my DD’s needed them for their jobs when they graduated and appreciated having nice ones that could also hold things like a water bottle and lunch bag.

If she doesn't have a job yet, I 3rd the suggestions to get her something for a "professional interview" wardrobe, be it a bag, a suit, etc.

A briefcase or classy messenger bag might be more work-appropriate than a handbag. When I worked as an engineer, I carried a briefcase to meetings, not a handbag. Times have changed, for sure--maybe a nice, professional leather tote? Some kind of bag that would hold her papers, laptop, etc.

I assume she already has interview clothes, and I would hold off on jewelry for something more practical, since she's not yet working.

Yep she has work clothes we bought those already for her co-ops. And she never had to wear dressy business things outside of her interviews (what a waste I should've taken some back!) she got to wear casual/jeans.

Drat she has nice handbag that I got her for Christmas already. She really is someone who has everything. So far she still lives at home, so not too much extra is needed. I struggle with gifts for her, she buys herself "stuff" when she wants/needs it.

Yep she has work clothes we bought those already for her co-ops. And she never had to wear dressy business things outside of her interviews (what a waste I should've taken some back!) she got to wear casual/jeans.

Drat she has nice handbag that I got her for Christmas already. She really is someone who has everything. So far she still lives at home, so not too much extra is needed. I struggle with gifts for her, she buys herself "stuff" when she wants/needs it.

If she has everything she wants and needs already, how about not buying her anything. Instead have a mother daughter day/weekend, spa day, movie day, favorite place to eat, ect.. My teen who is graduating high school loves days like that.

Still living at home? How about a day apartment hunting? Disney trips, paying off her loans, paying her living expenses.......you have went above and beyond already. Time to cut the cord and let her go out on her own.

Still living at home? How about a day apartment hunting? Disney trips, paying off her loans, paying her living expenses.......you have went above and beyond already. Time to cut the cord and let her go out on her own.
:laughing: People crack me up!

She's going out on her own, don't you worry, and she'll have a hefty savings account to see her through too:rolleyes:

Wow! So unbelievably rude! You brought absolutely NOTHING to this discussion. Haven’t you heard the saying...if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything! Boy do I feel bad for your kids..if you even have any.

OP Congratulations to your DD. Mine is also graduating college next weekend. Also a proud mom here!

As far as a gift, maybe a nice piece of jewelry or spa day you could do together?

Rude!

Helicopter parents kill me! I hope that she has success and finds a good path. Let me guess, only child??

BTW....2 kids. They are both learning to figure out their own paths at 13 and 17 respectively, not relying or depending on my wife and I.

Helicopter parents kill me! I hope that she has success and finds a good path. Let me guess, only child??

BTW....2 kids. They are both learning to figure out their own paths at 13 and 17 respectively, not relying or depending on my wife and I.

3 kids and how are you getting from my post that I'm a helicopter mom?ha I'm so the opposite of that.

Not that I owe you an explanation but she lived at home and paid for whatever school her scholarships didn't cover. She has MINIMAL debt. We qualified for the American Opportunity Tax Credit all 4 years and I SAVED that money in an account earmarked for her(it's enough to pay her loans in total). If she gets a job making big bucks, I'll probably let her pay her loans off herself and save the AOTC $ for a wedding gift or whatever.

She'd crack up if she read your post. She's worked since she was 11 years old had a community paper route, refed community youth soccer games, umpired softball games, and she was an all star varsity athlete in 3 high school sports. Ran Cross Country and Track at her D1 college for 2 years before her engineering schedule just got too much for her to be a year round athlete.

So please, don't label me because I'd like to get my hard working daughter a token for her graduation.

3 kids and how are you getting from my post that I'm a helicopter mom?ha I'm so the opposite of that.

Not that I owe you an explanation but she lived at home and paid for whatever school her scholarships didn't cover. She has MINIMAL debt. We qualified for the American Opportunity Tax Credit all 4 years and I SAVED that money in an account earmarked for her(it's enough to pay her loans in total). If she gets a job making big bucks, I'll probably let her pay her loans off herself and save the AOTC $ for a wedding gift or whatever.

She'd crack up if she read your post. She's worked since she was 11 years old had a community paper route, refed community youth soccer games, umpired softball games, and she was an all star varsity athlete in 3 high school sports. Ran Cross Country and Track at her D1 college for 2 years before her engineering schedule just got too much for her to be a year round athlete.

So please, don't label me because I'd like to get my hard working daughter a token for her graduation.

Okay, so interview wear and bags out...how about getting her diploma framed after the ceremony (you could give a card with a coupon or gift card for that). My mom did that for me, and it was 3 digits to have it professionally done more than a decade ago, but it's beautiful and looked great in my office (when I had one)...so she would probably definitely appreciate that...

PS - Mine was an oversize diploma, so that probably contributed to the cost - made it even more impressive looking, though:)...

Yes that is s good idea. We had my step daughters professionally framed for her

funny you mention graduation gifts-tonight my dd is enjoying part of hers from her 6/18 university graduation. she's seeing a broadway touring company production. part of her gift was that she could choose 2 shows from the 2019 season at our regional performing arts center. she saw 'lion king' in january and tonight it's 'school of rock'.

my kid isn't into jewelry or designer stuff, she's not going into a field that lends itself to publicly displaying one's diploma (and she would rather have some nice anime occupying her wall space at her place) so we figured to get her something that she might not be willing to put the money out for.

congrats to your dd, i'm sure she will enjoy whatever you decide to get her.

What about something technology related like a nice new case for her phone or laptop? Or does she have a portable charger for electronic devices?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!