College Program Parents Thread...

Question - so my daughter wants to apply to the program.
She graduates college in December 2019 and wants to participate in the program that following spring (so Spring 2020).
So does apply next August? We mistakenly applied just last week when Spring 2019 opened up and she has an interview scheduled, but I am now guessing that is for the spring that is 5 months from now. If that is the case, she would have to cancel interview and withdraw application and try again next year.
I just assumed Disney booked their college program kids way in advance.

Thanks for any advice.

She graduates college in December 2019 and wants to participate in the program that following spring (so Spring 2020).
So does apply next August? We mistakenly applied just last week when Spring 2019 opened up and she has an interview scheduled, but I am now guessing that is for the spring that is 5 months from now. If that is the case, she would have to cancel interview and withdraw application and try again next year.

Thanks for any advice.

No it is for Spring 2019. Our DD applied in August for the next spring - so 5 months in advance. Sorry your daughter will have to withdraw.

Thanks for any advice.
Something else to keep in mind..yes, Spring 2020 applications will drop next August. If your dd applies and doesn't make it in then, she can apply in January 2020 for Fall '20 program. She'll get those two shots only. My dd graduated in May '16, applied in Jan '16, got in for Fall '16. If she hadn't been accepted in Jan, she would have applied again in Aug '16, for Spring '17. They can apply up to six months after graduation.

Question--Looking for help!

We moved our daughter down to WDW for her DCP just a few weeks ago. She was on cloud 9 as it has been her dream to work for Disney since she was a little girl. She was even more excited to learn that she would be a character performer. So far though her experience has not been great. I know she expected insane hours, but so far she has been working 60 hour weeks and 12+ hour shifts and also made a request for a few days off and was denied all of them. Furthermore, she is very tiny (which was why she was put her particular role) and is really afraid she cannot physically handle her role much longer without doing serious damage to her body. Of course, like many kids her age, she claims "there is no one I can talk to" (even though she hasn't event tried) and has also said you either have to have a medical condition to change jobs or get injured in your role to change jobs--also claiming that your only option with the CP is self-term. I find this all hard to believe--1. There has to be CP coordinators she can speak to in addition to an onsite office of some type. 2. I also find it hard to believe that Disney would deny her moving jobs if she says she feels she cannot physically do the work and would just send her home without moving her to another position to take advantage of the cheap labor.

Any help or suggestions??

Last edited:

We moved our daughter down to WDW for her DCP just a few weeks ago. She was on cloud 9 as it has been her dream to work for Disney since she was a little girl. She was even more excited to learn that she would be a character performer. So far though her experience has not been great. I know she expected insane hours, but so far she has been working 60 hour weeks and 12+ hour shifts and also made a request for a few days off and was denied all of them. Furthermore, she is very tiny (which was why she was put her particular role) and is really afraid she cannot physically handle her role much longer without doing serious damage to her body. Of course, like many kids her age, she claims "there is no one I can talk to" (even though she hasn't event tried) and has also said you either have to have a medical condition to change jobs or get injured in your role to change jobs--also claiming that your only option with the CP is self-term. I find this all hard to believe--1. There has to be CP coordinators she can speak to in addition to an onsite office of some type. 2. I also find it hard to believe that Disney would deny her moving jobs if she says she feels she cannot physically do the work and would just send her home without moving her to another position to take advantage of the cheap labor.

Sadly, that's exactly how it works. Unless there is a medical reason that a CP can't perform the position they were given, they will have to tough it out. And that has to be a verified medical reason, not just a kiddo saying 'My headpiece is way to heavy for me. I can't do this anymore.' Character work isn't easy. My dd did it for two summers close to home. And yes, CPs can get outrageously long hours each week. My dd was lucky, sort of...she got around 25 hrs a week on her program. And it's very hard to get days off while on the program.
I have often said that Disney College Program is more about what Disney needs, at a particular time, in the way of cheap labor than about the great things it will do for our kids. My dd was very disillusioned while on her program, and she loved her area and leaders. She has found it to be a completely different animal now that she's full time!!!
I guess she can talk to her leaders and see if they have any thoughts, but there's not much they can do. I hope it all works out for your dd.

I am so sorry for your daughter. When our daughter was on her program she worked about 50+ hours a week but she was not a character performer. She also was denied time off every time but once in 7 months she was there. She had friends that were character performers and they often had back issues. One of them went to a doctor. I would have your daughter see a doctor if it gets that bad. I also think it can't hurt to have her talk to one of her bosses. Maybe they can change her hours. I pray it works out for her. Let us know.

Hi everyone! I’m excited to say my DD has been accepted into the DCP and starts in Jan. She’s a junior in college and this is a dream come true for her! She will be custodial and is actually very happy and excited about that!

I plan on flying down with her to move her in (we live in NY). Not sure where she will be living yet, but just wondering what other families did with getting bedding there & other essentials? We will arrive a few days before & have a rental car. Should I just purchase what she needs there? Am I buying the same type of stuff I get for her dorm?

TIA

Hi everyone! I’m excited to say my DD has been accepted into the DCP and starts in Jan. She’s a junior in college and this is a dream come true for her! She will be custodial and is actually very happy and excited about that!

I plan on flying down with her to move her in (we live in NY). Not sure where she will be living yet, but just wondering what other families did with getting bedding there & other essentials? We will arrive a few days before & have a rental car. Should I just purchase what she needs there? Am I buying the same type of stuff I get for her dorm?

TIA

Congrats to your daughter. We live in NYC and when we moved our daughter in we drove - so it was easy since we purchased so many things here. Yes we had to buy regular dorm bedding. We also had to buy bathroom stuff for Disney - since her college dorm had a hall bathroom and she didn't have any of those items. Maybe you can order items and have them shipped to a store in Florida - like Target, Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond. This way you will know they will have it when you get there. When we did some shopping in Florida the shelves were definitely picked over. Enjoy - we loved all the trips to Disney to visit our daughter!

I'm so glad I found this thread. My DD19 was accepted for spring advantage yesterday. It is super exciting, but now I am in research mode.
It sounds like I am right to assume I should go down with her to help her move in...just like I do for college. I like the idea upthread about ordering ahead for store pick up at Walmart or target. I suppose we could also pack her bedding from her sorority house in those vacuum travel bags and bring them along (luv southwest).
I am a tad concerned about her getting homesick, so I am going to plan to try and get down there most months, even if only for a weekend. It doesn't sound like coming home will happen much, if at all. She currently attends college about 3 hours from home, so on occasion she comes home for a weekend, school breaks, etc. It will be an adjustment for that not to be the case for such a long stretch.

Will they be mailing a big info packet of some sort or is everything online in her account?

I'm so glad I found this thread. My DD19 was accepted for spring advantage yesterday. It is super exciting, but now I am in research mode.
It sounds like I am right to assume I should go down with her to help her move in...just like I do for college. I like the idea upthread about ordering ahead for store pick up at Walmart or target. I suppose we could also pack her bedding from her sorority house in those vacuum travel bags and bring them along (luv southwest).
I am a tad concerned about her getting homesick, so I am going to plan to try and get down there most months, even if only for a weekend. It doesn't sound like coming home will happen much, if at all. She currently attends college about 3 hours from home, so on occasion she comes home for a weekend, school breaks, etc. It will be an adjustment for that not to be the case for such a long stretch.

Will they be mailing a big info packet of some sort or is everything online in her account?
Congratulations!!! My dd did her program from Sept '16-May '17, worked p/t at Universal after her DCP extension (had too many points to apply for permanent work at WDW). In Nov she applied and was working p/t in Feb '18, f/t in late May '18 and loves it there. She had already graduated from college when she started.
My dd seldom got homesick. She did overnight camp as a teen, worked at the camp before college. She was at college about 90 mins away, and studied abroad for 3 months. Her worst time at WDW is over the holidays.
We had six checked bags, plus 3 carryon bags when dd moved down. We bought most of her supplies down there. Bags had clothes, accessories, stuff she knew she would want because she knew she was staying there! We spent a fair amount of money at the Target, found everything she needed, plus bought paper goods for the apt and some food to get her started.
Be sure to tell her not to overpack!!! Most kids bring way too much. They are provided outfits for work, so they don't need a lot of regular clothing.

Here's the thing about getting homesick. They need a fair amount of time to adjust. The novelty of it all carries them through for about 2 weeks, then they start getting bummed. It takes at least a month for them to get settled into a routine. Don't be in a big rush to get down there to help your dd get through those first 5 weeks or so. If she's been away from home for college, she should be fine for DCP.

As far as a packet, they will get stuff for choosing housing and roommates down the road. She will get the final details about a week prior to arrival. Once she gets there, she will check in, and head to her apt. She will be given a set check in time...don't arrive early, you'll be sent away!!! She will have Casting at some point that day. She will take a bus with other kids. You can go shopping with her when she has a free block of time. My dd checked in at 8:40, went to the apt, started unloading, then had Casting at 9:15. She got back from there about 11. We went shopping at that point. We were able to stay in the apt while she did Casting. I believe some say that we aren't supposed to but we had no issues, and were actually able to head off a roommate issue while dd wasn't there. She had drug testing around 1:30. When she got back from that we headed out to buy a few final things, then said goodbye around 3:00. Didn't see her again for about 7 weeks.

The girls will bond and have house meetings that day/night. Traditions will happen on Friday or Sat, then they may start working on Sunday or Monday.

Congratulations!!! My dd did her program from Sept '16-May '17, worked p/t at Universal after her DCP extension (had too many points to apply for permanent work at WDW). In Nov she applied and was working p/t in Feb '18, f/t in late May '18 and loves it there. She had already graduated from college when she started.
My dd seldom got homesick. She did overnight camp as a teen, worked at the camp before college. She was at college about 90 mins away, and studied abroad for 3 months. Her worst time at WDW is over the holidays.
We had six checked bags, plus 3 carryon bags when dd moved down. We bought most of her supplies down there. Bags had clothes, accessories, stuff she knew she would want because she knew she was staying there! We spent a fair amount of money at the Target, found everything she needed, plus bought paper goods for the apt and some food to get her started.
Be sure to tell her not to overpack!!! Most kids bring way too much. They are provided outfits for work, so they don't need a lot of regular clothing.

Here's the thing about getting homesick. They need a fair amount of time to adjust. The novelty of it all carries them through for about 2 weeks, then they start getting bummed. It takes at least a month for them to get settled into a routine. Don't be in a big rush to get down there to help your dd get through those first 5 weeks or so. If she's been away from home for college, she should be fine for DCP.

As far as a packet, they will get stuff for choosing housing and roommates down the road. She will get the final details about a week prior to arrival. Once she gets there, she will check in, and head to her apt. She will be given a set check in time...don't arrive early, you'll be sent away!!! She will have Casting at some point that day. She will take a bus with other kids. You can go shopping with her when she has a free block of time. My dd checked in at 8:40, went to the apt, started unloading, then had Casting at 9:15. She got back from there about 11. We went shopping at that point. We were able to stay in the apt while she did Casting. I believe some say that we aren't supposed to but we had no issues, and were actually able to head off a roommate issue while dd wasn't there. She had drug testing around 1:30. When she got back from that we headed out to buy a few final things, then said goodbye around 3:00. Didn't see her again for about 7 weeks.

The girls will bond and have house meetings that day/night. Traditions will happen on Friday or Sat, then they may start working on Sunday or Monday.

Wow, thank you! I appreciate all the info.
Her big concern right now is finding compatible room mates. She is stressed about it. I told her apps are still open so more people will be coming and surely she will find a couple girls with similar interests eventually. Fingers crossed.
When I fly home after drop off I won’t be back for probably 4-6 weeks, so that should be a good amount of time for her to get in a routine. When she moves back to college in the fall she usually seems to miss us for several weeks and then quickly gets over it and we annoy her again. Haha! This is just different being so far and not knowing anyone. At school basically everyone from our town goes there with her so she has lots of familiar faces and she rooms with friends. Hopefully she will meet roommates online and form a bond prior to going down.
I’m sure I will be back with questions over the next couple months. Thanks all!

Oh I thought of a question...haha!

We have a cruise/park trip in Dec and I was planning to get an AP, independent of this dcp situation.
Now I am wondering if I should wait and let her get it with the discount after her Traditions...so my first trip back to visit. I can save a nice chunk thru aaa but if I can get her to buy it at the 10% off and she can use disney gift cards that would be a better savings. Can she pay with gift cards at the place they buy tix?

Wow, thank you! I appreciate all the info.
Her big concern right now is finding compatible room mates. She is stressed about it. I told her apps are still open so more people will be coming and surely she will find a couple girls with similar interests eventually. Fingers crossed.
When I fly home after drop off I won’t be back for probably 4-6 weeks, so that should be a good amount of time for her to get in a routine. When she moves back to college in the fall she usually seems to miss us for several weeks and then quickly gets over it and we annoy her again. Haha! This is just different being so far and not knowing anyone. At school basically everyone from our town goes there with her so she has lots of familiar faces and she rooms with friends. Hopefully she will meet roommates online and form a bond prior to going down.
I’m sure I will be back with questions over the next couple months. Thanks all!

Congrats to your DD! The CP is an amazing experience. I would tell her not to stress about the roommate situation. I did two CPs and I was not best friends with the girls either time. I lived in Vista both times and lived in a 2 bedroom (so 3 other girls). First time, I liked the girl I roomed with and we hung out occasion, but not very option. Second time, I really liked my roommate but she worked in MK really late so we didn't seem much of each other. Even if you are best friends, most of the times you can make it work. Most of my friends were from where I worked.

Congrats to your DD! The CP is an amazing experience. I would tell her not to stress about the roommate situation. I did two CPs and I was not best friends with the girls either time. I lived in Vista both times and lived in a 2 bedroom (so 3 other girls). First time, I liked the girl I roomed with and we hung out occasion, but not very option. Second time, I really liked my roommate but she worked in MK really late so we didn't seem much of each other. Even if you are best friends, most of the times you can make it work. Most of my friends were from where I worked.

I have to agree on the whole roommate issue! My dd touched base with a bunch of other girls on a FB page. They were going to try to get an apt for the six of them. But, in the end they got split up...three ended up together in two different apts. And the girls that dd ended up with (two she knew, three she didn't) ended up not having a great roommate experience. She didn't end up being overly close to any of them. So, it's really not a huge deal to go in cold, and let Disney give you roommates.

I have to agree on the whole roommate issue! My dd touched base with a bunch of other girls on a FB page. They were going to try to get an apt for the six of them. But, in the end they got split up...three ended up together in two different apts. And the girls that dd ended up with (two she knew, three she didn't) ended up not having a great roommate experience. She didn't end up being overly close to any of them. So, it's really not a huge deal to go in cold, and let Disney give you roommates.

DD met her roommates online and was very excited. They all checked in together (DD had car and drove to pick each up at their hotels) and settled in. The other three girls worked day shifts, DD worked nightshift and then the divide began. Nothing negative at all, she just wasn't included in any of their plans since the schedules were so different. Even on days where they were all off they didn't think to invite her. She ended up with a great group she worked with and they became her constants.

Four of them stayed the next program and she moved in with one of them. They did everything together even though they now worked at all different locations. They made the effort. Years later still in touch with all of them, roomie she even talks to on phone often even though on opposite sides of country. The roomies .... no contact with them. At her second location she became friends with a couple fulltimers and is still in touch with all of them and only one DCP from there.

My point for @disneymagicgirl is to tell your DD to not get caught up in hoping for the perfect roommates and they will be your "tribe" ... Try to find some who have the same "living values" ... cleaning, cooking, loud/quiet, partying etc so that home life can be comfortable and if they end up hanging out great but be open to making friends at work too as they may have more synced schedules etc.

Congrats to your DD. Our DD did it in 2015 and loved it. Our DD was there for 7 months. We drove her to Florida and we went to visit twice and our other DD went to visit her once with friends and then we picked her up at the end. So we were there a lot. It was hard over Easter - so we went down to be with her. She did get to come home twice but just for 2 days each.

Our DD met her roommate over FB - they had a questionnaire and it help match up the girls. Her roommate ended up being her best friend now. She has come to visit us many times and is like part of our family. She didn't have great roommate experiences in college but did in Disney. Our DD does live at college, now grad-school, but it is only an hour away so he comes home most weekends yet she did great at Disney.

If your DD is outgoing she will meet people. If not her roommates, definitely at work. My DD had many people to go to the parks with - since that is all she wanted to do on her days off.

Enjoy the time in Disney - let us know when she starts.

Hi everyone!
My DD is headed to the DCP this spring. She doesn't like to drive and she would rather just take the bus to/from work. I'm concerned about this plan as they work really late at night. Does anyone know how safe it is to walk back to an apartment at 2am from the bus stop? My understanding is that some of the complexes share a bus stop, so could be a long walk that late at night. Any thoughts?

Hi everyone!
My DD is headed to the DCP this spring. She doesn't like to drive and she would rather just take the bus to/from work. I'm concerned about this plan as they work really late at night. Does anyone know how safe it is to walk back to an apartment at 2am from the bus stop? My understanding is that some of the complexes share a bus stop, so could be a long walk that late at night. Any thoughts?

Congrats to your DD. Our DD worked at MK and worked to 4 am some mornings - that is when the park used to be open late weekly. We too were worried and our DD did not drive. I will say she met very nice people there and some nights she got a ride home with friends that did have a car but when she didn't get a lift and had to take the bus she did feel very safe. We told her to call us in the beginning just so we could be on the phone with her - but she was fine. Our DD lived in Chatham and the bus stopped right there. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hello DD just accepted for Spring 2019. I know she can earn tickets for guests, but can someone explain the discounted price admission they can buy? We were thinking of not going on move in but going down a couple weeks later. She probably will not have "earned" much by then. Anyone have any examples of real ticket prices or hotel discounts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!