College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

I hate to be REALLY specific, but I’m curious as to any thoughts:

My daughter is a sophomore in high school this year and very interested in the college program. Of the following, which will help her cause for getting into the program. Also, feel free to say if any of these won’t help or won’t matter:

- she’s been a vocalist at School of Rock since age 7 and performed at prominent venues like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

- in the past two summers, she has worked in a restaurant and for a landscaping company.

- she has a 3.5 GPA in high school.

- she’s an AP holder and member of D23 and has been to WDW over ten times.

- she intends to study and get degreed in Hospitality while In college.

- she has no qualms about doing anything at all in the program.

- she has pretty heavy ADHD.

- she’s terrible at math.

- she’s exceptional with people.

Thank you all in advance for any thoughts!

Last edited:

My daughter is a sophomore in high school this year and very interested in the internship program. Of the following, which will help her cause for getting into the program. Also, feel free to say if any of these won’t help or won’t matter:

- she’s been a vocalist at School of Rock since age 7 and performed at prominent venues like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

- in the past two summers, she has worked in a restaurant and for a landscaping company.

- .she has pretty heavy ADHD

I am sure you know there is a difference in the DCP and Disney Internships. DCP is easier to get into and you may or may not get an area related to your major. Internships are highly competitive and are specific to major. I think any volunteer experience related to the type of internship, good grades, good recommendation's from instructors, job experience in the field of study would all help for Internships. I don't think any of the following will hurt or help her: she has pretty heavy ADHD, she’s terrible at math. For interview purposes being an AP holder and member of D23 and having been to WDW over ten times should help her in an interview process because she will be able to speak knowledgably about the parks.

Having work experience (imo) is the best. My DD worked her way through college, and that really helped. Have your DD watch some of the DCP videos, especially ones about the interview process. She’s got lots of time to prep. Good luck

I am sure you know there is a difference in the DCP and Disney Internships. DCP is easier to get into and you may or may not get an area related to your major. Internships are highly competitive and are specific to major. I think any volunteer experience related to the type of internship, good grades, good recommendation's from instructors, job experience in the field of study would all help for Internships. I don't think any of the following will hurt or help her: she has pretty heavy ADHD, she’s terrible at math. For interview purposes being an AP holder and member of D23 and having been to WDW over ten times should help her in an interview process because she will be able to speak knowledgably about the parks.
Thank you so much for this. Due to my own ignorance, I used "internship" when I should have said college program.

I am editing to correct.

Thank you!

Thank you so much for this. Due to my own ignorance, I used "internship" when I should have said college program.

I am editing to correct.

Thank you!
Right now, they are not interviewing applicants for the DCP at all. They do an online “test” for lack of a better word. Depending on the outcome, college students are either accepted or denied. They don’t have a choice of positions, either (they can indicate if they are interested in a Lifeguard job). Disney needs bodies to fill open positions, they don’t have the ability to fill all the job openings with just the Orlando market. Things could change in the next few years and they may bring back the interview (there is still an interview for the Professional Internships). If your daughter has social media, she can follow the Disney College Program. It’s a great experience, I wish her all the best in the future!

Quick update: the travel agent I always use for Disney planning (shout out to Sharon at Magical Vacations!) told me her daughter was in the DCP a few years ago and she'd be happy to do a phone call with my daughter about her experience. I'll let you all know.

My daughter is a sophomore in high school this year and very interested in the college program. Of the following, which will help her cause for getting into the program. Also, feel free to say if any of these won’t help or won’t matter:

- she has pretty heavy ADHD.

None of this matters at the moment. There is first an application and then a WBI (web-based-interview) and it's a bit like a personality profile test (they ask you basically the same questions repetitively using multiple scenarios) and it is timed (can't really think about your answers). If you pass that, you go into consideration for a role. Currently, if you pass, you are likely "in".

Understand the following:

You can't choose your roommates, you can't chose your room type, you may not get to bring your car, your job preferences aren't considered, and your existing skills aren't even necessarily considered. You must give them 100% availability and agree to any job they give you (including roasting in the parking lot and cleaning toilets / vomit). You are guaranteed 30(32?) hours but may be working 50+. Think twice if you are planning on taking any classes during this time.

You also may want to think twice if you do not have a high tolerance of other peoples messes, mold, cockroaches, millipedes, lizards, mice and other odd critters/bugs. You should also have a strong work ethic and the ability to pop some Mucinex and show up for your shift with a smile on your face even when you're sick, because unless you have a superfantastic immune system, you will get sick (probably a lot) and there is a strict point system for showing up late or calling out. If you don't already know how to "adult" to some extent, you will learn quickly or go home quickly.

There. Are. A. Lot. Of. Rules.
You. Must. Follow. Them!

Obviously, your daughter has a long time to wait and it could all be different by then. My daughter just did 7 months in the program came home and has reapplied. She's just been accepted for a second program, but she may decline for now and just move there permanently when she finishes her associates so it will be easier to transfer her credits.

My personal observation was that many of the younger ones don't usually fare so well and the older ones tend to not want to come home. If you'd asked my while my then 19 year old was there, I'd have told you it was awful and she hated it. Then she came home and can't wait to get back so :confused3

None of this matters at the moment. There is first an application and then a WBI (web-based-interview) and it's a bit like a personality profile test (they ask you basically the same questions repetitively using multiple scenarios) and it is timed (can't really think about your answers). If you pass that, you go into consideration for a role. Currently, if you pass, you are likely "in".

You can't choose your roommates, you can't chose your room type, you may not get to bring your car, your job preferences aren't considered, and your existing skills aren't even necessarily considered. You must give them 100% availability and agree to any job they give you (including roasting in the parking lot and cleaning toilets / vomit). You are guaranteed 30(32?) hours but may be working 50+. Think twice if you are planning on taking any classes during this time.

You also may want to think twice if you do not have a high tolerance of other peoples messes, mold, cockroaches, millipedes, lizards, mice and other odd critters/bugs. You should also have a strong work ethic and the ability to pop some Mucinex and show up for your shift with a smile on your face even when you're sick, because unless you have a superfantastic immune system, you will get sick (probably a lot) and there is a strict point system for showing up late or calling out. If you don't already know how to "adult" to some extent, you will learn quickly or go home quickly.

You. Must. Follow. Them!

Obviously, your daughter has a long time to wait and it could all be different by then. My daughter just did 7 months in the program came home and has reapplied. She's just been accepted for a second program, but she may decline for now and just move there permanently when she finishes her associates so it will be easier to transfer her credits.

My personal observation was that many of the younger ones don't usually fare so well and the older ones tend to not want to come home. If you'd asked my while my then 19 year old was there, I'd have told you it was awful and she hated it. Then she came home and can't wait to get back so :confused3
This is exceptional stuff. Thank you! I'm going to print it our and show it to the kid.

You. Must. Follow. Them!

I see this board is not really too busy. I only now came here as my DD expressed interest in the program, though she would have to do the international one as she is German/American and will graduate german HS attend german Uni next year. Your post confirms many things I have read already and to be honest I don't think the regular CP would be a thing for her. Maybe a professional internship down the road.. I am surprised they even call this a "college" program as many roles do not give practical experience for many degress. Unless custodial science is now a form of study. Here in germany it would hurt a student to have custodial experience listed as an internship experience and applying for a real job in a professional field.. There would be many questions asked. And hearing that you cannot pick a role is odd. I mean it seems the CP is basically a temp service agency for WDW. Still shocked to learn a college internship program focus on min. wage/low education practical experience.. Crazy.,

does anyone have experience on the professional internship programs and what forms of studies they are for?

I see this board is not really too busy. I only now came here as my DD expressed interest in the program, though she would have to do the international one as she is German/American and will graduate german HS attend german Uni next year. Your post confirms many things I have read already and to be honest I don't think the regular CP would be a thing for her. Maybe a professional internship down the road.. I am surprised they even call this a "college" program as many roles do not give practical experience for many degress. Unless custodial science is now a form of study. Here in germany it would hurt a student to have custodial experience listed as an internship experience and applying for a real job in a professional field.. There would be many questions asked. And hearing that you cannot pick a role is odd. I mean it seems the CP is basically a temp service agency for WDW. Still shocked to learn a college internship program focus on min. wage/low education practical experience.. Crazy.,

does anyone have experience on the professional internship programs and what forms of studies they are for?
I have to tell you, I highly disagree with your post, it’s almost insulting. The Disney college program teaches students more life skills that can be applied to any job they have in the future. Including custodial! It teaches them independent thinking, problem-solving, communication skills, how to interact with many different personalities and perspectives, independence, and personal responsibility. Is it used to fill vacant positions? Yes. Does Disney benefit? Absolutely. But so do the majority of participants. And as an FYI, a large percentage of the professional internships are given to former DCP participants. If you don’t think she’s cut out for or not willing to do the DCP, a professional internship isn’t likely to happen.

I have to tell you, I highly disagree with your post, it’s almost insulting. The Disney college program teaches students more life skills that can be applied to any job they have in the future. Including custodial! It teaches them independent thinking, problem-solving, communication skills, how to interact with many different personalities and perspectives, independence, and personal responsibility. Is it used to fill vacant positions? Yes. Does Disney benefit? Absolutely. But so do the majority of participants. And as an FYI, a large percentage of the professional internships are given to former DCP participants. If you don’t think she’s cut out for or not willing to do the DCP, a professional internship isn’t likely to happen.
I’m sorry I have to disagree. Those skills that you stated above are basic LIFE skills. Maybe it’s different in the US but here in Europe An internship should directly be relevant to a course of study. Maybe in the states can you but here in Europe most degrees, have an internship requirement that has to be directly related to that field of study. I was not trying to be offensive in anyway I was just shocked, because I had always assumed that the college program was a true internship program in relation to a university study. since it’s a requirement to be registered in school, Which actually makes me surprised if that’s a requirement for these type of rules That’s probably why they actually have something called a “professional internship“. This is what my kid is looking for. She’s getting life skills right now already waitressing in a restaurant part time.

I’m sorry I have to disagree. Those skills that you stated above are basic LIFE skills. Maybe it’s different in the US but here in Europe An internship should directly be relevant to a course of study. Maybe in the states can you but here in Europe most degrees, have an internship requirement that has to be directly related to that field of study. I was not trying to be offensive in anyway I was just shocked, because I had always assumed that the college program was a true internship program in relation to a university study. since it’s a requirement to be registered in school, Which actually makes me surprised if that’s a requirement for these type of rules That’s probably why they actually have something called a “professional internship“. This is what my kid is looking for. She’s getting life skills right now already waitressing in a restaurant part time.
Fair. However, the College Program doesn’t promote itself as an internship. It’s a learning experience. And yes, that’s why they also offer PI’s.

being a CP means slave labor . Long hours and hot days.
CP's get the 'left over' job positions, some ok, some BAD.

The HUGE bonus is it looks great on your resume. You have tons of stores you can pull from for future employers to share for how to handle problem guest.

We have those professional internships here also. You want to be an attorney, you get an internship/job for the summer/semester working in an attorney's office, court room, etc. etc. etc.

Disney College Program - yes name a bit deceiving - but it is not the same as the "internship" you mention.

My daughter was in the College Program 11 years ago. It was the first time she was away/lived away from home. She had a positive experience and loved it. As mentioned, a huge plus, it looks great in a resume.

The DCP is not a substitute for professional "field" internship experience and is only called "College Program" as it offers an opportunity for students who are currently enrolled in college to work with Disney. The DCP is garnering a lot of popularity here in the United States, so as a cultural point here, the benefit of having "Walt Disney Company" on a resume, even in just a custodial or food service role, is that it certifies a good work ethic and willingness to adapt in challenging work environments. The way Walt Disney World trains their employees -- putting customer service and efficiency first -- sets the precedence for other companies, so an employer looking to fill an entry-level position will typically consider these things when the DCP pops up on a resume, provided that the applicant also has relevant education and an interest in the field.

If your daughter is already waitressing and developing "life skills" through that, I would agree with your assessment that the ICP and CRP program may not be worth it for your daughter unless she is serious about working in the hospitality industry or working for The Walt Disney Company specifically. The most important benefit to this program is that it serves as a stepping stone into the highly competitive Disney Company job market. The Professional Internships for Disney are intensely competitive. They cover anything from finance to communications/broadcasting to studio animation and beyond, so there's no doubt your daughter would find something relevant to her career goals, but these internships typically only make 1 to 2 offers per job opening and Disney will give top priority to those who have already completed a DCP, ICP, CRP, or some other form of work within the company. You can find examples of current Professional Internships here: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/sear...y":"is_manager","value":"Disney+Internships"}]

Thanks for all your feedback. I guess it does make sense that Disney would prefer people that basically “paid their dues”. I hope I don’t come across as a snob but I just find it so odd that they title a program as a “college program”and in essence some poor kids are cleaning toilets. In the way, it’s a bit unfair because I guess the life lessons would be the same. I guess one would learn a lot in that role but then you would have one kid coming out of the program with more sellable experience like that see if they were working at guest services versus cleaning toilets.

My only near personal experience with the program was a friend of mine did this back in the 90s when I believe they had summer programs. She knew what she was getting into but I would say she kind of came back with some regrets mainly that she wasted an entire summer basically working in fast food as she put it. She was majoring in international business along with myself and others. We did international exchange programs overseas that summer and her experience was “flipping burgers“ that’s how she put it.

I guess like most kids interested in the college program my daughter is also a huge Disney fan and so she was looking into it. She did also find the cultural programs which she would qualify. If they ever look for anyone from Germany. She’s also looking into Disney cruise line, if she decides that she wants to get into education doing maybe a contract and the kids club would be up her alley. She has the benefit of speaking German and English fluid and can speak French too. she’s going to start studying to be a teacher or go into marketing management. I do know that Disney in Munich offers professional internships in marketing. From timeline we were thinking of it being a gap year between high school and college because she will officially be registered anyway so technically she is a college student. I’m just thinking now. The traditional CP program is not her thing.

And I guess one of my other concerns are the reviews. The reviews are just so polar either a kid had the . time of their life and extended, or it was hell on earth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!