College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

Hi there! Just a few questions! One will what job you put down help you acceptance? For example my top roles are lifeguard and floral (which both I have many year experience) since I'm assuming those are the top jobs will I have a better chance on being accepted?

[this is all information I've either found online or experienced firsthand. If someone has other information, please let me know]

Based on what I've found online, the CP minimum pay will be $10/hour beginning July.
CPs are guaranteed 32 hours/week, may be scheduled up to 45, but with the current restrictions on overtime don't expect much over 40.
2016 housing costs $93-125/week
After tax with no deductions, you take home 78.6% of your gross pay

$10x37hrs = $370/week -$100housing = $270*.786 = $212

Depending on hours, where you live, etc, I would plan on bringing home about $200/week

I'll throw in my experience, because it's slightly different from this.

First off, CPs aren't guaranteed 32 hours. During my program it was 30, and with budget cuts I heard a rumor that it's down to 28, but I can't verify that. Anyway, in my role (seater/FSFB) and location (Citricos, which is only open for dinner) I was usually only scheduled 30.5 hours a week. Towards the end of my program my schedule got a little bit better, and I could usually expect around 34, but there was no guarantee.

I paid $101 a week in rent in a Patterson 3-br 6-person apartment. The tax rate quoted above is just about right. I also earned $9.50 an hour, so keep in mind that the rate is a bit better now.

So working 30.5 hours a week, after taxes and rent were deducted, I usually got around $125 a week. Occasionally I would have the chance to pick up an extra shift, but not often. I didn't have any extra expenses like a car payment or anything, so I managed to get by just fine and actually save quite a bit. But if you have a lot of other expenses besides rent and food, you might want to look into roles where you're more likely to get hours.

any idea when the spring 2017 wave of acceptances will begin? i "think" the international acceptances have begun for the spring

They have started already! There have been about 12 people accepted already The waves will mostly come
Wednesday thru Friday with Friday's being the biggest

Yay!!! My son found out he is in and is assigned to QSFB and accepted, but letter states that his QSFB role could fall under the following 3 areas:

1. Concierge with club level checking people in and out, helping out with VIP/celebrity tours, tickets for groups, luggage, food delivery, buffet fill up

2. Front Desk with checking people in and out taking money and ticket assigning

3. Quick Service and beverage with possible seating, food serving, taking money, food cart, bussing tables

When he looked under QSFB and talked to another CPI who got QSFB, hers said 1 role and explained what is listed on the DCP like site: food prep, working register...

Any ideas on this one????
Is there a mix up in title assignments????

Honestly- maybe! That sounds like two different role descriptions to me. It will be interesting to see where he ends up!

Honestly- maybe! That sounds like two different role descriptions to me. It will be interesting to see where he ends up!
Yeah he was soon excited able it the possibilities with it. After I told him others are saying it is a glitch, he emailed the program asking for clarification. We will see.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hey all!

I just applied for the college program this morning and have noticed that my Job Submission status HR Status has moved from In Progress and is now Action Required but I have yet to receive any other communication than the thank you for applying automated email confirming the receipt of my application. Is this normal/do I now just need to wait for another email in order to proceed to the WBI? Not sure what exactly is meant by Action Required and would appreciate any advice/info.

(Just got the link for the WBI! thanks anyway and good luck to all other applicants and participants!)

Best Regards-

Last edited:
Hey all!

I just applied for the college program this morning and have noticed that my Job Submission status HR Status has moved from In Progress and is now Action Required but I have yet to receive any other communication than the thank you for applying automated email confirming the receipt of my application. Is this normal/do I now just need to wait for another email in order to proceed to the WBI? Not sure what exactly is meant by Action Required and would appreciate any advice/info.

(Just got the link for the WBI! thanks anyway and good luck to all other applicants and participants!)

Best Regards-
Check your candidate portal on your log in some piece didn't get the email but got accepted !

Hello everyone, I'm new here, but have a question pertaining to the DCP.

I'm looking at applying for the Fall 2017 program in WDW, which I know is a ways away, but am in the process of scheduling college classes for next semester and would like to plan my schedule ahead. Due to scholarship requirements, I'd have to remain a full time student while participating in the DCP, meaning I'll have to take 3-4 online courses while in Florida. I already plan on signing up for Distance Learning should I make the program in order to get reserved time for my schoolwork. Has anyone done Distance Learning and has any additional information on it, aside from what is given on the website? Has anyone taken a large number of classes while in the DCP? I consider myself pretty studious and focused on my studies, but this scenario would be new ground for me. I know there are a lot of variables in play when discussing college courses and workload, but any tips or info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone, I'm new here, but have a question pertaining to the DCP.

I'm looking at applying for the Fall 2017 program in WDW, which I know is a ways away, but am in the process of scheduling college classes for next semester and would like to plan my schedule ahead. Due to scholarship requirements, I'd have to remain a full time student while participating in the DCP, meaning I'll have to take 3-4 online courses while in Florida. I already plan on signing up for Distance Learning should I make the program in order to get reserved time for my schoolwork. Has anyone done Distance Learning and has any additional information on it, aside from what is given on the website? Has anyone taken a large number of classes while in the DCP? I consider myself pretty studious and focused on my studies, but this scenario would be new ground for me. I know there are a lot of variables in play when discussing college courses and workload, but any tips or info on this would be greatly appreciated.

I took 12 credit hours on my CP as I was in the same boat as you. The Long Distance Learning just sets aside a specific set of hours per week where you will never be scheduled to work that's set for school unless they've changed some of it. Mine was Tues 8-12pm. My suggestion is pick a day that you think will suit your classes best. I realized my online classes didn't assign work until Wed. and it was due on Friday so having Tuesdays off wasn't really that helpful. Regardless, I still got all As. It was definitely difficult but not impossible. Also, the dates for these may not last the entire class period. I had about 2-3 weeks where my Long distance preferences hadn't begun or ended, so I was still able to be scheduled those times.

I took 12 credit hours on my CP as I was in the same boat as you. The Long Distance Learning just sets aside a specific set of hours per week where you will never be scheduled to work that's set for school unless they've changed some of it. Mine was Tues 8-12pm. My suggestion is pick a day that you think will suit your classes best. I realized my online classes didn't assign work until Wed. and it was due on Friday so having Tuesdays off wasn't really that helpful. Regardless, I still got all As. It was definitely difficult but not impossible. Also, the dates for these may not last the entire class period. I had about 2-3 weeks where my Long distance preferences hadn't begun or ended, so I was still able to be scheduled those times.

Thanks, it's a relief to hear from someone else who has had this sort of workload with school. That clarified Distance Learning a bit, so I'm glad I understand what I'll be getting myself into. I appreciate the advice!

My son is wondering if he should take his TV. Is there a tv provided in the living room? Is there enough space to set one up in the bedroom?

My son is wondering if he should take his TV. Is there a tv provided in the living room? Is there enough space to set one up in the bedroom?

No TV provided, but cable is. In my apartment, it would be a little cramped if you added more furniture to the bedroom (it's a 3-person room), and the dresser/end tables are usually shared. I think it'd be best to wait until he's either here or has linked up with roommates.

No Tvs provided, we had one set up in our living room and my roommates had one in their bedroom. The bedrooms are really tiny (particularly a 3 person) so I wouldn't have wanted one and it would be hard to find something on everyone would enjoy. We all just watched our shows on our laptops.

My roommate and I both brought t.v's so I put mine in my bedroom. Mine was maybe 30"? It was perfect, because I actually felt like I had my own space. If he has a 3 person bedroom it would be kinda tight. Some CP's/ICP's/CRP's leave their TV's behind because they can't bring it home or sell it, but I wouldn't count on that... But it does happen!

How far out can you apply for recent grads? I read 6 months, so as long as I submit my application within 6 months of graduating I am still eligible?

How far out can you apply for recent grads? I read 6 months, so as long as I submit my application within 6 months of graduating I am still eligible?

I believe so, you'd just have to apply for the season directly after graduating. So, if you graduated in December, you'd submit for January for the Fall CP. If you graduate in May, apply in August for the Spring CP.

When DD attended DCP, the rule was you had to be enrolled IN school when you applied - but could be graduated within 6 months of the program's start

Do you have to show a certain amount of $ in your bank account ?And how much?

I'm Canadian btw so it might be different for US residents

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter