Colonoscopy

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
Getting my first one next week; I'm 56 so about six years late.

I was 59 when I had my first one and, honestly, it wasn't bad at all. Everyone said the prep day would be the worst and even that wasn't as bad as I feared. I will not be afraid to have this procedure again the next time I am due for one.

Good luck.

Regardless, it is so important. Please get it done. My BIL passed away a couple years ago from colon cancer, and it could have been caught early but he didn't want to get it done and waited...so please go.

Had my first one a couple years ago while doing it they found something removed it and tested it. Turns out it was a toonie sized tumor. Now I get them every year. Small scare about 8 months ago but all good since. The worst part was not being able to be more than about twenty feet from the bathroom lol.

I'm young but had to have one about 4 years ago for issues I was having. Came back with nothing wrong...

The prep is the worst part but I got the pills instead of the liquid. They are horse pills and very salty tasting. You still have to consume water with the pills.

The morning of the procedure through I was so dehydrated... I was putting water in my mouth and rinsing and spitting because my mouth was so dry. They also had a hard time getting a iv in me because I was so dehydrated.

After the procedure when I woke up I was amazed at how with it I was... Got lunch on way home. Had no issues after that. I would not stress if I had to have it done again and it's such a important test for people over 50.

If you want a good laugh, google Dave Barry Colonoscopy. He did a column on having his first colonoscopy and it's really funny.

Many people don't know this, but March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. Colorectal cancers account for the second most cancer deaths in the US, primarily because when you notice symptoms, it is harder to treat.

I had my first colonsocopy at 40 because my Mom passed from colon cancer, and they found three pre-cancerous polyps which they took care of with no extra difficulty for me because I slept through the whole thing.

Had my Mom had a colonoscopy at age 50 instead of waiting until she sensed a problem, she might still be alive today, instead of dying at age 59 attached to a colostomy bag.:sad2:

So many people I talk to about this say it's "embarrassing." Well, it beats getting measured for a pine box. Please, anyone who is reading this and is over age 50, 40 if you have a family history of the disease, have the colonoscopy.

I had my 2nd one 2 weeks ago - my first one was 3 years ago. I had 1 polyp removed both times. The prep and procedure were really a breeze. My prep was Dulcolax, Miralax and Gatorade. Not bad at all. My advice - start eating light about 5 days before. Less in, less out! The actual procedure is very easy. They get you set up, wheel you into the room, start the iv and the next thing you know (seriously), it is over and they are asking what kind of juice you want to drink. As simple as that. You don't feel or remember a thing. If I can do it, anyone can do it!

My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer at the age of 37 in 1987. Even though she was only given a 20% chance of survival she is still with us today. She had to go through several horrific surgeries, chemo and radiation. She's had to endure many life long effects from the surgeries (colostomy) and radiation. I was a sophomore in high school when she went through all that and even though I heard the prep for a colonoscopy was not pleasant I KNEW it had to be WAY better than all that so I got my first one done when I was 28 as advised. I am now 42 and have had 3, due for another this year. Fortunately all mine have been clear. There is no way I would not get one. Anyone who puts them off because they are scared of the prep is a fool in my book!

Many people don't know this, but March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. Colorectal cancers account for the second most cancer deaths in the US, primarily because when you notice symptoms, it is harder to treat.

I had my first colonsocopy at 40 because my Mom passed from colon cancer, and they found three pre-cancerous polyps which they took care of with no extra difficulty for me because I slept through the whole thing.

Had my Mom had a colonoscopy at age 50 instead of waiting until she sensed a problem, she might still be alive today, instead of dying at age 59 attached to a colostomy bag.:sad2:

So many people I talk to about this say it's "embarrassing." Well, it beats getting measured for a pine box. Please, anyone who is reading this and is over age 50, 40 if you have a family history of the disease, have the colonoscopy.

Good advice.

It's not that bad and as far as embarrassing? Well I was 54, a little late I know. I had a brand new boyfriend and even had him take a day off work to drive me. You know what? He was proud and happy I had done it and he was only 44 and didn't even know before that what it entailed. He was with me the day before too. He helped "force feed" me the prep.

No excuses in my book. My ex-husband was a surgeon and I ran his business. He performed over 250 Colonoscopies a year. Of those that were coded "screening only" (100 or so) ...about 4 turned out to be serious issues. It is such a worthwhile test!

My prep was horrible, but the procedure wasn't bad at all. During the prep I had it coming out of both ends, often at the same time. :(

My mom's cancer started out in her colon. She had a tumor the size of her fist by the time they discovered it.

My older sisters have had polyps removed. I had my first colonoscopy at 40 and I will now go as frequently as I'm allowed to do so. ::yes::

The worst part for me is getting the IV in my arm. :)

I've had two, the first when I was 51 and the second this past December (5 years after the first). The first time we (DH had his around the same time frame too) had to use Fleet for the prep, yucky stuff. But now it's just Miralax dissolved in 64 ounces of Gator Aid (or equivalent) and Dulcolax tablets. Much easier to take.

We are on the 10 year schedule now, as both previous colonoscopies were clear.

DH's Dad is 75 and has never had one, and won't. :( He's the type that believes if there's not a problem you don't have to worry about it. I feel that preventative care is so important, to be able to catch things when they're small and easily treated than to be let go. :(

I'm so sorry about your Mom. :worried: I had my first one about 3 years ago; I'm 57 now. I plan to get another one in a year or two. I'm having a hard time convincing my husband to get his first one. (maybe I can get him to read this thread).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter