Come join me for a Sunday walk in my garden (pics & music)

DixieDreamer

<font color=blue>Instant Human - <font color=brown
<bgsound src="http://www.lyonfamilywdw.com/EnyaMidis/nlgealmo.mid"loop="2">

Spent some time in the gardens this Sunday afternoon. Thought I would capture some pics for my digital photo garden journal - and share them with you.

So grab a cup of coffee and let's head out to the back patio garden first.

<center>
garden052503_1.JPG
</center>

This shows the coral bells blooming, and behind it are the various fairy roses (pink & dark pink) which have not bloomed yet. Next to the coral bells in the front are my spiderwort plants that are starting to bloom.

<center>
garden052503_3.JPG
</center>

Same area, just stepping back abit. Notice the one pink bloom on the carpet rose? That is the very first bloom. It is covered (literally) with a mass of buds... in a few days this will be a curtain of pink. I will post a pic of it then... as it is truly a gorgeous specimen. :)

<center>
garden052503_2.JPG
</center>

Just to the left of the first pictures, is the stand of Irises. They are in full bloom right now.

<center>
garden052503_4.jpg
</center>

<center>
garden052503_5.jpg
</center>

Stepping into the main garden now...

<center>
garden052503_15.jpg
</center>

Standing by the vegetable garden looking back at the main gate and rose archway. You can see the back of my little garden fairy who sits among the flowers.

<center>
garden052503_6.jpg
</center>

This is the purple clematis that is growing intertwined with the coral American Beauty climbing rose on the gateway arch. The coral rose is about to bloom... in fact one single bloom is open on the other side...

<center>
garden052503_9.jpg
</center>

One solitary coral rose... many will burst forth in just a few days... mixing with the purple of the clematis.

<center>
garden052503_7.jpg
</center>

<center>
garden052503_8.jpg
</center>

The clematis blossoms are the size of pie plates. I love the deep hue of purple.

<center>
garden052503_10.jpg
</center>

Stepping back... this is the right hand corner of the garden... the rose arch on the side... with a mass planting of hollyhocks putting on strong vegetation. Later in the summer they will produce spires of old fashioned holly hock blooms in peach, pink, and yellow. In front of the hollyhocks are some pincushion flowers.

Now for an overview of the main flower garden... starting from the far left and swinging to the right...

<center>
garden052503_16.jpg
</center>

<center>
garden052503_17.jpg
</center>

<center>
garden052503_18.jpg
</center>

Shifting attention to the climbing rose - Blaze Improved...

<center>
garden052503_11.jpg
</center>

<center>
garden052503_12.jpg
</center>

<center>
garden052503_13.jpg
</center>

<center>
garden052503_14.jpg
</center>

<center>
garden052503_25.jpg
</center>

The center area has several red Centranthus plants that are beginning to bloom. They will bloom several times throughout the summer - requiring some deadheading to rejuvenate. They look best during their second major bloom... standing next to yellow coreopsis that add dramatic contrast. Something to look forward to later in the season.

<center>
garden052503_26.jpg
</center>

Standing at the gateway arch... looking out to the vegetable garden. The two gardens sit beside each other - separated only by a sunken landscaping timber. You can see my garden fairy more clearly in this pic.

<center>
garden052503_19.jpg
</center>

Stepping closer to the vegetable garden. In the foreground is the strawberry patch.

<center>
garden052503_20.jpg
</center>

Closer inspection of the strawberry patch... if you could pull back the vegetation... you would find clusters of berries - about a week away from ripening. (YUM!)

Stepping further into the vegetable garden...

<center>
garden052503_21.jpg
</center>

Here are the tomato and pepper plants. There are several varieties of tomatoes... Brandywine, Fantastic, Roma, and Grape. The peppers are sweet bells.

<center>
garden052503_22.jpg
</center>

This is the spinach and lettuce mixes. The spinach is ready to start harvesting and the lettuce is about a week behind it.

<center>
garden052503_23.jpg
</center>

Walla Walla sweet onions. Need weeding... that is tomorrow's chore. :)

Well... that is the end of the garden tour for today. The show in the garden should be steadily more dramatic in the weeks to come - as the real actors take center stage - the roses. I will try to post some more updates as the season progresses. Thank you for letting me share my garden with you.

Your garden is beautiful Dixie. Thank you for sharing it. I can't wait to see it as the roses start to bloom.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Those irises are just majestic! Thanks for sharing! You have a peaceful garden...:D

Thanks for the early morning stroll, as always your gardens are beautiful. They always leave me awe struck, the size of the hollyhocks are magnificant. I love these plants.

We are a couple of weeks behind you, but looking at my gardens they are a lifetime away. There's something about that Washington sun and soil that beings out the best is your gardens.

What a great way to start my day... Thank you for sharing. I love the job you have done. You must find a lot of peace in there. :)

Originally posted by Mamu
We are a couple of weeks behind you, but looking at my gardens they are a lifetime away. There's something about that Washington sun and soil that beings out the best is your gardens.

I truly think our abundant sunshine DOES have alot to do with it... that and my huge compost pile!

I doubt seriously your gardens are wanting mamu... just lagging behind due to the over abundance or rain you are getting this year. The sun has to show for you eventually. :)

MomE@Home - I have a Canon PowerShot S10. It is a pretty good digital camera... although I think my old Sony Mavica digital camera took better pictures.. it was just too big to take anywhere.

Laura,
Your pictures and your garden is beautiful!!! I have nothing close to blooming with the rain and cold we've been getting, in fact I haven't even planted everything I usually do by this time. :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures as the seasons change!

Hey, Laura.....wanna send some of that sunshine this way???? We're so far behind in the perennial/annual category, it's gonna take til August to get some of these blooms smilin'!

Thanks for sharing!

WOW! How beautiful. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Dixie Dreamer,

great pictures, beautiful garden and I love the music - How very nice!

Thanks so much for sharing:D
Sue

I look so forward to these pics Laura!!!! I LOVE your gardens. I have a coral bell that I planted last year that didn't do anything and I moved it to put another plant in it's place and this year it's blooming just like yours - it's not full yet but is gonna be so beautiful!!! I can't wait to see your roses!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Everything is coming along splendidly, Laura! :) It looks lovely and healthy, as always. :)

BTW - Feel free to FedEx me some of those strawberries, okay? ;)

Thank you very much, and I look forward to the next garden tour! :)

Well, it's Thursday night instead of Sunday afternoon but I still very much enjoyed a stroll through your gardens. You are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your garden with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter