Come on Disney, can't I have just a few natural dessert options?

DisLiss

DIS Veteran
I pretty much never have dessert at Disney, and I'm fine with that. (This isn't really a vent but more of a tongue in cheek post. :) ) I know that's how it will be. I have intolerances to both different sweeteners and artificial food colors, plus as a vegetarian I skip desserts with lard, gelatin, or the odd ingredient like bacon). So my choices are very limited. Sure, dole whips are vegan, but they are also artificially flavored & colored. :)

But last night DS & I were watching a vlog about MNSSHP and as he drooled over all of the special desserts, my sweet kid said "Mom, is there anything you can have??" I told him I could check the ingredients on the frozen cider, but that would be about it. And he was so bummed out for me. :) So come on, Disney, can I have even one vegetarian event dessert with natural ingredients please? ;) I'll pay for a fruit cup in a Halloween themed dish with a decorative pick stuck in it if that's what it takes. ;) Then my kid can feel like we can both look forward to special event foods together. 🥰

I've cut out most of my sugar intake (i might have a popsicle once a week or some vanilla ice cream as a treat once a month) and I've love some simple natural deserts. Looking at what they have now..............oh lawd.

My husband is allergic to corn so he feels your pain. Why do they have to sweeten everything with corn syrup? What is wrong with real sugar? 😫

Oh no! I am not allergic to corn, but corn products and my digestive system are not friends, so beyond the corn syrup issue (because I can't have that, either), I can't even fall back on a cool themed bucket of popcorn. :) So I get his pain. I really do.

I'd be thrilled with a strawberry shortcake made with natural, basic ingredients, for example. Or a basic fruit cobbler. Good old flour & sugar & eggs, plus some berries (no need to sweeten them on my account) and some real whipped cream. Man, I'd plunk down a good chunk of change for that option just so that everyone else wouldn't keep feeling bad for me the whole time. :)

(I do know that those dessserts pop up here and there, but I don't see them as part of a special event, and even when they do show up I have to double check the ingredients because while they look like they should be safe, they often aren't. Like you said..corn syrup. People love to douse good fruit with corn syrup. ;)

I think next time I'll just pack some cookies from home and take them out when the others are having treats. :) Maybe I'll decorate them with something Halloweeny. But really, you'd think Disney would rather I pay them for that instead. ;)

You're right- though Disney is pretty accommodating in the restaurants with it comes to dietary restrictions, these special event desserts usually are over-the-top, artificially crazy desserts that serve as more of a photo op for social media than something that actually tastes good. Don't get me wrong- I fortunately don't have any food allergies and have been known to indulge in some of these crazy confections from time to time, but looking at the pics of some of these offerings, it just makes you realize how far we've gone from just eggs, flour and sugar mixed together to make something delicious.

I bet some of these cupcakes must have DOZENS of ingredients... if not hundreds! I wonder how many of them are even recognizable, or pronouncable!!! LOL

I have gluten and dairy intolerances and am usually severely limited to desserts when it comes to any sort of dining out. I will splurge on sugar now and then, but my tummy hates Splenda (when they try and combine their allergy friendly and sugar free dessert offerings). I just get so tired of being offered the sorbet.

Well that isn't fair to you! Although I try not to eat sugar or foods with added sugar in my regular life, I pretty much only eat from the cupcake food group while at Disney - hahaha

I just wanted to say that your boy is an absolute doll! How special that he wants you to enjoy a treat along with the rest of your family. Give that kid a big ol' hug!

Have you checked out the new gourmet cotton candy flavors at Goofy’s in Disney Springs? I’ve heard they have some with natural coloring and flavorings.

I have gluten and dairy intolerances and am usually severely limited to desserts when it comes to any sort of dining out. I will splurge on sugar now and then, but my tummy hates Splenda (when they try and combine their allergy friendly and sugar free dessert offerings). I just get so tired of being offered the sorbet.

Interestingly, I've found it's the dairy intolerance that is so severely limiting...most restaurants have gluten-free menus now, but when you mention dairy-free, you get a lot of dumbfounded looks.

I keep telling my kids that there will be money in all of the dairy-free desserts they are making me this summer...it's not even hard to swap for dairy-free, nor always expensive...but if you go out, no one ever does.

To be very straightforward, what can you even have and what would you even have in mind?

They cant make something that doesn't exist is my thought process. From reading others feedback on this board they seem to do great with exclusions and restrictions.

Interestingly, I've found it's the dairy intolerance that is so severely limiting...most restaurants have gluten-free menus now, but when you mention dairy-free, you get a lot of dumbfounded looks.

I keep telling my kids that there will be money in all of the dairy-free desserts they are making me this summer...it's not even hard to swap for dairy-free, nor always expensive...but if you go out, no one ever does.

I completely agree! I have come up with some pretty tasty things at home that could hold their own against options with dairy. Even with frozen items, there are so many options out there made with soy, coconut, almond, or oat milk that it would be nice to find a place offering those kinds of options as well.

To be very straightforward, what can you even have and what would you even have in mind?

They cant make something that doesn't exist is my thought process. From reading others feedback on this board they seem to do great with exclusions and restrictions.

That's what I was thinking. Besides a fruit cup what else can you have? Because with all the allergies they would have to cook separate items for each person. So if I have a nut allergy I couldn't eat the almond flour dessert. But then you may have a soy allergy so you couldn't eat xyz dessert. Someone else could have an oat allergy so they couldn't eat oats. O and my BFF is allergic to pineapples and kiwi so she would need her fruit cup altered.

O man this could get really complicated dealing with everyone's specific allergy. Kudos to them for at least trying.

That's what I was thinking. Besides a fruit cup what else can you have? Because with all the allergies they would have to cook separate items for each person. So if I have a nut allergy I couldn't eat the almond flour dessert. But then you may have a soy allergy so you couldn't eat xyz dessert. Someone else could have an oat allergy so they couldn't eat oats. O and my BFF is allergic to pineapples and kiwi so she would need her fruit cup altered.

O man this could get really complicated dealing with everyone's specific allergy. Kudos to them for at least trying.

Agreed it's hard to handle all the allergies...but it's possible to take a different approach than just "let's give everyone sorbet" at a sit down- if I were designing a menu, I'd do 1 blow out dessert (completely allergy unfriendly), 1 blow out dessert that completely components (so dropping a component could suit a lot of different allergies), 1 vegan dessert (b/c it allows dairy, egg, vegetarians, and vegans all an option in one), 1 gluten-free one...and then the sorbet or fresh fruit dish (ie - the universal one). 5 desserts at a sit down is about the norm...and can be done to make sure everyone has something...

Down in Williamsburg, VA, there's an independent franchise called Food for Thought that goes with this type of approach...and they are beloved...

The OP didn’t say she had allergies just intolerances so very different situation. I just don’t see how restaurants who handle thousands of guests a week can be expected to make different menus for every patron. There is no way they would stay in business, and the time involved to make every sauce and every item from scratch individually tailored to each person’s preferences would be prohibitive. Maybe packing your own food would be a better solution so you’d be able to know exactly what you’re getting.

Like I said, it's just an observation, more than anything. :) I think Disney does a wonderful job with a whole list of dietary restrictions, particularly when it comes to sit down meals. And I really appreciate how vegetarian friendly they are with non-dessert foods.

To answer your question of what can I have....plenty, and it all exists.....I can have desserts made with flour, real sugar, eggs, milk, vegetable oil (instead of lard), real fruit---just basic foods. The kind of thing people often bake with at home. :)

As to what I had in mind, I mentioned that above, but a festive fruit cup, a basic strawberry shortcake, a fruit cobbler--as long as they aren't using fake sugar, fake fruit bits, etc., :) (I would never try for a cupcake, cake, or anything else with a pile of icing at Disney, because I know the gelatin helps those large amounts of icing stay firm in the heat. :) ) I could even have cookies sprinkled with all-natural sprinkles. I have some, and the colors work well with Halloween--oranges, greens, and purples. :)

And I know you can find these type of desserts (cobblers or shortcake) here and there at sit down places, but what started the discussion at our house was that events the treats always seem to be far more over the top than any of these things. But as I said, even if I could get a boring, non-event dessert with a event wrapper, we could pretend it was special too. :)

Have you checked out the new gourmet cotton candy flavors at Goofy’s in Disney Springs? I’ve heard they have some with natural coloring and flavorings.

No, I hadn't even heard of them. Cotton candy is typically not even on my radar but ones with natural colors & flavors sound fun. Thanks so much! :)

The OP didn’t say she had allergies just intolerances so very different situation. I just don’t see how restaurants who handle thousands of guests a week can be expected to make different menus for every patron. There is no way they would stay in business, and the time involved to make every sauce and every item from scratch individually tailored to each person’s preferences would be prohibitive. Maybe packing your own food would be a better solution so you’d be able to know exactly what you’re getting.

I definitely don't think anyone should make something just for me. But as stores sell more and more products that proudly boast "No HFCS!" "No artificial colors!", it seems that there is a market for these items that is much wider than just me. :) And if folks are buying those items in the grocery stores, they might appreciate one or two similar offerings at a theme park, too. :)

And yes, we do stop at Trader Joe's to stock up on snacks that work for me at the beginning of our trip. Because while it might be nice to dream about a few all natural, vegetarian dessert options in Magic Kingdom or Epcot, the realist in me knows to buy my own ahead of time. :)

Like I said, it's just an observation, more than anything. :) I think Disney does a wonderful job with a whole list of dietary restrictions, particularly when it comes to sit down meals. And I really appreciate how vegetarian friendly they are with non-dessert foods.

To answer your question of what can I have....plenty, and it all exists.....I can have desserts made with flour, real sugar, eggs, milk, vegetable oil (instead of lard), real fruit---just basic foods. The kind of thing people often bake with at home. :)

As to what I had in mind, I mentioned that above, but a festive fruit cup, a basic strawberry shortcake, a fruit cobbler--as long as they aren't using fake sugar, fake fruit bits, etc., :) (I would never try for a cupcake, cake, or anything else with a pile of icing at Disney, because I know the gelatin helps those large amounts of icing stay firm in the heat. :) ) I could even have cookies sprinkled with all-natural sprinkles. I have some, and the colors work well with Halloween--oranges, greens, and purples. :)

And I know you can find these type of desserts (cobblers or shortcake) here and there at sit down places, but what started the discussion at our house was that events the treats always seem to be far more over the top than any of these things. But as I said, even if I could get a boring, non-event dessert with a event wrapper, we could pretend it was special too. :)

No, I hadn't even heard of them. Cotton candy is typically not even on my radar but ones with natural colors & flavors sound fun. Thanks so much! :)

I think part of the issue here with these types of "homemade" desserts that we might make at home--well, they don't survive for long periods of time with freshness or sturdiness. For something like a dessert party, the items are mass produced and probably days in advance of the party. The desserts are made to appeal to the masses, need to be pre-prepared in a large kitchen a distance from the event, and so on. Things like cookies that are served are probably cooked and wrapped a week in advance and the "fake" ingredients make them last. Ever had a cookie from Costco? You can barely make that thing go stale.

Shortcakes, cobblers, scratch cake, etc. can really only be done fairly small batch and served within a day. Heck, while I do enjoy the strawberry shortcake at Hoop Dee Doo, you can tell it's kind of mass produced and the strawberry topping is somewhat artificial. Who knows what's in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter