Commercials with Asian male and white female

One of my husband's best friends is a Chinese man. He is married to a white woman. It's not "unusual" in California. I live in a city that is almost 50% Asian. There are tons of "Asian man/non Asian woman" pairings around here. It's super common.

I never realized it was considered not common.

The actor is Michael Liu.

MV5BNjQzMTE3N2YtYjkxMC00NTM5LTlmMDQtMzYzYzA2YmFiYjBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2134407/

The actress is Cyrina Fiallo, and her bio says she's of Italian and Cuban ancestry.

MV5BNTdjMTg4N2EtMWJmNy00NTAyLWJmZmYtMmMzNDk2ZWUwOTU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU4ODAwMTU@._V1_UY317_CR131,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2687265/

Well that certainly settles it, lol. I swear though, in the scene where they both lay down in the grass,the woman looks Asian.

One of my husband's best friends is a Chinese man. He is married to a white woman. It's not "unusual" in California. I live in a city that is almost 50% Asian. There are tons of "Asian man/non Asian woman" pairings around here. It's super common.

I never realized it was considered not common.

I see quite a bit of that living in California. However, it's generally rare to see depictions in TV/movies/ads that show East Asian men and white women in a normal, healthy relationship. Many of the ones that were seen were more "this could never happen in real life" caricatures.

Actually a friend of mine who was Chinese-American dated a white girl and got some serious backlash. He found his car vandalized with "KKK" sprayed on the side. This was maybe 30 years ago, but it was still in the Bay Area where you'd think it wasn't likely to happen.

It's been a while since I've been in college, but back then the dynamic was still where it was more likely to see Asian girl with white guy than the other way around. It was also far more likely to be accepted, even in a liberal college town than the other way around, which would attract stares.

Even back when I was in high school, there were some depictions in popular culture. I guess Long Duk Dong in Sixteen Candles was highly cringeworthy. But the one I remember was 21 Jump Street, where they showed such relationships as normal.

It's a whole new world today. Many American college campuses that had much smaller representations of Asian students 20 years ago are now bursting at the seams with students from China and the rest of Asia -- along with many other regions of the world. It's not uncommon to see large clusters of Asian students, or other ethnic groups of students, walking around to classes or just out for the evening socially -- or ethnically mixed large or small groups -- or simply two or three people together heading for class, hanging out in their dorm or apartment, or simply hanging out socially, romantically included. There isn't any one expected configuration of groups or couples by a longshot.

It's been a while since I've been in college, but back then the dynamic was still where it was more likely to see Asian girl with white guy than the other way around. It was also far more likely to be accepted, even in a liberal college town than the other way around, which would attract stares.

Even back when I was in high school, there were some depictions in popular culture. I guess Long Duk Dong in Sixteen Candles was highly cringeworthy. But the one I remember was 21 Jump Street, where they showed such relationships as normal.

Hey, I loved Long and Marlene, total opposites attracting.

I could be wrong but I think part of the dislike could be coming from Asian females who are having difficulty finding Asian males to pursue relationships with. Oprah did several shows on black females who are bothered by black males dating white females. It's like "aren't we good enough?" This is hard for me to explain but I'm just saying not all of the negativity or "backlash" could be due to racism. Personally I have no problem with interracial relationships. People should be free to love who (or is it whom?) they love.

There have been studies that Asian women don't have issues finding males to pursue relationships with across different races. The ones that do are Black women and Asian men. I've also seen Black men on the lower end too.

In terms of same race, I don't think it translates over to Asians being upset that another race is "stealing" from them as much as it's "more of an issue" when someone who's black dating someone's who's white stereotype.

Only thing that stood out to me is the girl in the Cherrio Commercial is just too darn cute.

Otherwise, the people in the commercials look just like the people I see at the mall, at work, in my neighborhood. Average Americans.

There have been studies that Asian women don't have issues finding males to pursue relationships with across different races. The ones that do are Black women and Asian men. I've also seen Black men on the lower end too.

In terms of same race, I don't think it translates over to Asians being upset that another race is "stealing" from them as much as it's "more of an issue" when someone who's black dating someone's who's white stereotype.

A lot is sort of based on stereotypes. The whole "submissive Asian woman" thing or that Asian men are somehow asexual or perhaps stereotypes about "physical equipment".

I've also heard some Asian women specifically say that they'll only date white guys. I couldn't say that was the case with the movie The Wedding Banquet, but they did have a character found by a matchmaker who said she was going along with her parents search for a Chinese guy through a matchmaker in order to placate her parents who didn't know her boyfriend was white.

Honestly, in this day and age we are talking about an "Asian" and a "white" a couple? Seems like fishing for racial ******* or dissent that doesn't exist in the free world. Mixed racial couples! This isn't 1950 and the OP allegedly lives close to SF? Come on.
I'm actually pretty old and I can't remember a point during my lifetime where an inter-racial couple would have been scandalous. I know many, many couples like this and have several in the family.

I usually avoid these threads on the DIS but the premise of this one is just over the top. I really must say I think racial ******* is a vastly bigger issue in America than it is in Canada.

Honestly, in this day and age we are talking about an "Asian" and a "white" a couple? Seems like fishing for racial ******* or dissent that doesn't exist in the free world. Mixed racial couples! This isn't 1950 and the OP allegedly lives close to SF? Come on.

Not really. I don't think it's scandalous and I see plenty of these relationships, but in my decades absorbing popular culture in the United States, this popular depiction of Asian male in a normal relationship with a white female is extremely rare. It seems to be primarily done for laughs or to show some sort of awkwardness that it would ever happen (like Sixteen Candles).

I mean - how many times have you seen this type of relationship in TV commercials? I remember one commercial for a mobile phone company where everyone gets to stand on a "soapbox" and talk about their concerns. One is a "hip hop" Asian guy complaining that popular culture shows that Asian women and white men are OK, but almost never shows vice versa.

I'm actually pretty old and I can't remember a point during my lifetime where an inter-racial couple would have been scandalous. I know many, many couples like this and have several in the family.

I usually avoid these threads on the DIS but the premise of this one is just over the top. I really must say I think racial ******* is a vastly bigger issue in America than it is in Canada.

As one half of a 28 year racial mixed couple this type of thread is laughable. in this day in age We don't care. Our kids don't care. Our parents don't care. Our cousins don't care. It's just not a thing. We are all people of the world and that's how we raised our kids. Honest to Job who cares about the colour of one's skin these days unless you are an alt right Hitler wannabe?

Not really. I don't think it's scandalous and I see plenty of these relationships, but in my decades absorbing popular culture in the United States, this popular depiction of Asian male in a normal relationship with a white female is extremely rare. It seems to be primarily done for laughs or to show some sort of awkwardness that it would ever happen (like Sixteen Candles).

I mean - how many times have you seen this type of relationship in TV commercials? I remember one commercial for a mobile phone company where everyone gets to stand on a "soapbox" and talk about their concerns. One is a "hip hop" Asian guy complaining that popular culture shows that Asian women and white men are OK, but almost never shows vice versa.

So the real issue is Asians in Hollywood? I would agree that is an entire different ballgame. However, let's face it. Hollywood is about 50 years behind the times in almost all ways but facelifts, Botox and fillers.

Sorry that that is your experience. Fight hard to crawl out of the rock that you are living. See the light as other's have 50 years ago. It's liberating. Skin colours and cultures meshing in this day and age. Not new not news not advertising shock.

I don't know what you're getting at. Do you sense my disapproval? Did you even read what I've written? I actually find this rather refreshing, because I've rarely seen this kind of relationship displayed in a national TV commercial shown in the United States. I find nothing wrong with the commercial, but I'm just pleasantly surprised that they'd even show such a relationship since it's rarely displayed in popular culture. If you read that Washington Post article, one of their interviews was with ad man Bill Imada who said this:

“Asian males are just not viewed as being lovers, as being manly enough, or sexy enough, to carry a story or a commercial. The idea is that they’re not strong enough to woo a white woman. So they don’t get the roles”​

So the real issue is Asians in Hollywood? I would agree that is an entire different ballgame. However, let's face it. Hollywood is about 50 years behind the times in almost all ways but facelifts, Botox and fillers.

Well - yeah. I guess Harold and Kumar sort of blew right through the wall in making Asian guy, white women relationships normal. These actors do have work in Hollywood, but how often do they show anything like these commercials?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!